Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I haven't read a single reply regarding indexing that says that it's going to be better or "fixed", I love ...
    NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread

I haven't read a single reply regarding indexing that says that it's going to be better or "fixed", I love your optimism, but I'm just not drinking that kool-aid at this point in time.

Bungee,

I have been talking to a rep from the CUE team on the phone. So, there is more that I am hearing than what has been posted here.

However, even what I am hearing is conflicted.

I believe that it was Codeman that stated in this thread that he had similar problems with his iPod not playing and that there was a fix on the way.

EDIT: Here is his exact response in post #22

I have experienced the exact same song matching issue in the car that I have been driving and it was also driving me up the wall. I filed a report and was told that it had been corrected. I just don't know when that particular fix will be rolled out to customers, but I have been assured it has been fixed.
    However, in the last phone call I had with a CUE rep, I was told that in order to have the information (cell phone contacts and iPod index) properly stored for faster access, there needs to be a hard drive. Not all vehicles have a hard drive in them.

So, I am being cautiously optimistic that a workaround fix has been accomplished. At the same time, without a hard drive involved, I don't know how the heck CUE will be able to permanently store its information so that everything is not being re-indexed every time the driver gets in and out of the vehicle.

I continue to be very frustrated with Cadillac overall for approving this CUE system in the state that it is in. This system does not belong in a flagship vehicle with these problems intact. I have written letters to the CEO and President of the company, but I don't expect anything out of it.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Careful Bungee, you are treading into forbidden territory with your last comment and the monitors will come down hard on you.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    Careful Bungee, you are treading into forbidden territory with your last comment and the monitors will come down hard on you.
    I hope that you're kidding as I said nothing wrong or against the rules.

In fact I only reflected on what's been stated in this forum, and referenced complaints from user's having issues (including myself!), and then my opinion or feeling.
    Yes, I'm still not confident things will be much better, however I do applaud the techs and people responsible for fixing problems.
    I apologize if optimism isn't my strong suit here, however I do strongly believe some of these things should have been fixed prior to release, however that is merely my opinion.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    I continue to be very frustrated with Cadillac overall for approving this CUE system in the state that it is in. This system does not belong in a flagship vehicle with these problems intact. I have written letters to the CEO and President of the company, but I don't expect anything out of it.
    It's not just me who believes the same, optimism or not.

----------

I apologize for de-railing this thread.

Has there been any fix for playback from the SD card not properly resuming at times?
    I've read at least one other member's comment with similar issues as myself.

codeman71 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    Has there been any fix for playback from the SD card not properly resuming at times?
    I've read at least one other member's comment with similar issues as myself.
    I don't know for certain at the moment if that has been improved. I've been focusing most of my attention on the indexing issues trying to see what we can do to get that resolved. I'll try to check on this one when I get a chance.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post

I don't know for certain at the moment if that has been improved. I've been focusing most of my attention on the indexing issues trying to see what we can do to get that resolved. I'll try to check on this one when I get a chance.
    Thanks for the update, and also am excited to hear about your work on the indexing side of things.
    Your responses and input are much appreciated, and I honestly don't dislike you, promise... =P

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    Thanks for the update, and also am excited to hear about your work on the indexing side of things.
    Your responses and input are much appreciated, and I honestly don't dislike you, promise... =P
    No, I totally understand. The product shouldn't be acting this way, and it frustrates me to no end that it does... That's why I'm trying to do everything I can to get it right.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Codeman,

I am going to put you on the spot here and hope that you are able to answer these questions...

1. Does it look like the phone and iPod indexing problem will be totally fixed with the next update? By that I mean iPods with thousands of songs will have their content correctly accessed as soon as you get into the vehicle? Also, a phone call can be made immediately upon entering the vehicle despite the size of the contacts list?

2. If not, is it true that vehicles will need a hard drive to permanently store what is being indexed for best performance?

3. Does the 2013 SRX have an internal hard drive? If so, could that be manipulated into solving the problem with indexing?

And, for the record, I don't dislike you either. I am very happy you are here. My anger is with Cadillac for allowing this system to be placed into their flagship vehicles with the bugs that it has.

I have a '13 SRX and no it doesn't have a HDD. My '11 did and why they took it out is beyond me. I only have about 100 songs on my Windows phone and it still takes about three of four minutes for the system to not say that "A device is being initialized and cannot be used at this time". What puzzles me is that the crew designing this system did not use their own Iphones or whatever brand they had to realize that it was not going to work until all of the contents of their phones was re-scanned each start up. Codeman is straight with us about the short comings of CUE but it does bring to mind that there should have been more real world testing with it before it was launched.

jeffpaletz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I really don't see a need for a hard drive due to the memory that already exists in the system and the ease of putting in a USB or SD card that holds many gigs of storage. It's very easy to load music onto an SD card from a computer and insert it into the car. As far as a place to store the index, the radio has a lot of memory in it since it can store up to 30 minutes of audio. An index of thousands of songs would take up very little space, especially compared to storing even 1 minute of audio. Perhaps that area could be used to store the index. Also, they could use space on the users USB or SD Card.

I think someone else has offered that they could use a search after shutdown of the engine to determine if the prior plug ins were still plugged in and to not require a new scan on the next start up. This would require no big memory use just a device scan that had not changed. I personally think that the CUE people did not imagine that many people would have THOUSANDS of songs on their phones/Ipods or SD cards that had to be scanned at every start up. I think they will solve this problem but wonder about the management of the team that did not think this through.

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffpaletz
    I really don't see a need for a hard drive due to the memory that already exists in the system and the ease of putting in a USB or SD card that holds many gigs of storage. It's very easy to load music onto an SD card from a computer and insert it into the car. As far as a place to store the index, the radio has a lot of memory in it since it can store up to 30 minutes of audio. An index of thousands of songs would take up very little space, especially compared to storing even 1 minute of audio.
    I've been thinking about that (I earlier considered the same solution), and now I'm not sure it's true.

The cached audio is most likely compressed, and depending on bit rate and CODEC, 30 min would typically be around 30 MB or so of memory -- much less if encoded at low bit rates. Depending on what being storing in the index, the index size could be trivial or it could exceed the size of the radio cache.

Of course, there may be other memory sources available for the index, we just don't know.

Also, they could use space on the users USB or SD Card.
    This seems like a more promising possibility, but again might be non-trivial. So far as I know, CUE doesn't write *any* files to USB, so the basic functionality to write a file to an attached volume might not be present in the current implementation.

Regardless of my points above, I do believe that a solution to indexing *could* be implemented, if there was sufficient motivation to do so. But it might or might not be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRonbo View Post
    Codeman,

I am going to put you on the spot here and hope that you are able to answer these questions...

1. Does it look like the phone and iPod indexing problem will be totally fixed with the next update? By that I mean iPods with thousands of songs will have their content correctly accessed as soon as you get into the vehicle? Also, a phone call can be made immediately upon entering the vehicle despite the size of the contacts list?

2. If not, is it true that vehicles will need a hard drive to permanently store what is being indexed for best performance?

3. Does the 2013 SRX have an internal hard drive? If so, could that be manipulated into solving the problem with indexing?

And, for the record, I don't dislike you either. I am very happy you are here. My anger is with Cadillac for allowing this system to be placed into their flagship vehicles with the bugs that it has.
    1. I'm sorry, but I do not know for certain. I do not believe the phone indexing issue will be fixed, so there will still be some time delay for that. I have a feeling that the iPod indexing issue will still be there as well, but that's the one I'm trying very hard to see what's going on because it shouldn't be doing this.

2. No, a hard drive is not required. There is ample flash memory embedded in the unit so an HDD is not required. It all comes down to determining what has changed (if anything) on a connected device to make sure that all the content has been indexed and that the system isn't missing something.

3. No, none of the CUE systems have hard drives. I don't know why the call center is saying this but I have gotten in touch with them to clear that up - so thanks for the heads up on that one. But like I said, there's flash memory, so storage space isn't the issue...it's the logic behind determining what's been updated, and a certain amount of file checking is required for this.

jreihsen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

Quote Originally Posted by kevinr View Post
    Jim, I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but did u check the Bluetooth settings on your phone? iOS lets you choose which contacts sync.

In Settings: Bluetooth, if u click on the triangle next to Cadillac CUE, you will see a Contacts sync setup screen. The bottom half of that screen allows you to set-up which Contacts *group* gets synced to your phone.

If that set-up pointed to a group that was only a partial list of your contacts, it could result in the behavior you specified.

This happened to me, in that for some reason, my phone was configured to sync with a contact group that I had started to set-up long ago, had not finished and so it had like six old contacts, none of which were useful.

Attachment 103148
    Kevin
    Thanks for the hint. I had not seen the Group selection in the iPhone Cadillac CUE Bluetooth options.

The "All Contacts" option had been checked default, along with some other groups. I tried selecting "All Contacts" only and restarting the car and the phone to no avail. I then tried creating duplicates of the ignored contacts, also to no avail. For some reason, it just doesn't want to go to my brother in law's house.

Quote Originally Posted by jreihsen View Post
    Kevin
    Thanks for the hint. I had not seen the Group selection in the iPhone Cadillac CUE Bluetooth options.

The "All Contacts" option had been checked default, along with some other groups. I tried selecting "All Contacts" only and restarting the car and the phone to no avail. I then tried creating duplicates of the ignored contacts, also to no avail. For some reason, it just doesn't want to go to my brother in law's house.
    That's so strange that it's not getting them all. So you have phone numbers for everyone, but not all the addresses associated with the contacts are coming over? Just want to make sure I know exactly what you're seeing when I talk to the engineers about it.

jreihsen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

Quote Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
    That's so strange that it's not getting them all. So you have phone numbers for everyone, but not all the addresses associated with the contacts are coming over? Just want to make sure I know exactly what you're seeing when I talk to the engineers about it.
    I hadn't thought of missing phone #s. I'll check to see if that is the commonality.
    ----------
    Thanks Cody!
    All of the missing contacts have no phone #s. Definitely an iOS issue, and one that I should have caught. Ten minutes of getting phone #s and that issue is resolved.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.