Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I too have had problems with the slide up function of the favorites arrow. I routinely get just one row ...
    inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread

I too have had problems with the slide up function of the favorites arrow. I routinely get just one row or the function that is just next to the up arrow at the bottom of the screen. I too would like the favorite button that is on some of the pages but not all to be programmed in to be on every page except data entry pages. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to see my smiling daughter looking at me from the DIC! I had not seen the picture transfer from my phone to the contacts because my wife's Iphone is usually the connected phone and it doesn't support the picture transfer. Keep up the wishes folks and maybe Codeman can get some of them approved for us.

codeman71 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Bungee, It's a bit tough for me to comment on the indexing issues as that is handled by a separate team from mine. I agree that it is frustrating and it seems to be a simple solution to the problem. However, there are many use cases that have to be considered and somehow it seems that this was one choice that needed to be made in order to ensure that we weren't using an out-of-date index which would be just as frustrating if that were to happen.

For it not reverting back to the right USB source, I'll have to check that one out. I think that will inherently get fixed with the next software update where we skip sources that aren't connected, but I haven't heard of that issue specifically. I'll see if I can check on that one.

The reason you are seeing the inconsistent behavior for that reveal button sometimes bringing the Favorites up and sometimes not is due to the screen functions available on that screen. We always wanted the Favorites available on every screen. They are either connected to a row of buttons along the bottom of the screen, or if a screen doesn't have a row of buttons, then they are accessed by using that reveal button. A couple cases - the Home Screen, and Settings, for example, don't have any need for the row of buttons, so that reveal button just brings up the Favorites. Otherwise, if you are in the Audio or Navigation apps, they do have the row of buttons (no room for a reveal button), so you drag up on the bar of buttons. Now, you don't need to drag on any particular part of that row, just grab anywhere and drag up. Think of that whole row as a big grab handle. Then when you're done, just take that handle and slide it back down. We had a decision to only allow 0, 1, or 3 rows of favorites for several reasons. We designed the audio and navigation applications so that you could use the application with either 0 or 1 row of favorites visible and could still do everything. Once you got up to 2 rows of favorites, then it starts to block more of the application area above, and is difficult to accommodate. 3 rows is easy because it pretty much covers up the application you are using and you are only using your Favorites at that point. So, we made a choice to simplify it so the user could have 0 or 1 rows and be able to use the app, or just cover it up with 3 rows, and not get into the in-between state where you've got 2 rows. So, short answer is, we made a choice to exclude 2 rows of favorites.

For the touch points, you'll see some improvements with the next software update and I think you'll be pleased. We made quite a few adjustments with the touch areas for buttons particularly near the bottom of the screen to make it easier to activate.

Thanks again for the feedback and as I've said I will do everything I can to continue improving this system to its fullest.

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
    For it not reverting back to the right USB source, I'll have to check that one out. I think that will inherently get fixed with the next software update where we skip sources that aren't connected, but I haven't heard of that issue specifically. I'll see if I can check on that one.

For the touch points, you'll see some improvements with the next software update and I think you'll be pleased. We made quite a few adjustments with the touch areas for buttons particularly near the bottom of the screen to make it easier to activate.
    I love when I see Cody's name on this forum because I feel like he's always dropping hints at updates and improvements they have made for the next release. I for one, CANNOT WAIT until I can get my hands on this update!!

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

I appreciate the feedback, and look forward to the updates coming in the future.
    Is it at all possible to appease the "power users" with special settings that are hidden to change different functions?
    I don't have an exact list, but having the ability to see a file directory vs just seeing an indexed volume would be one example, or disable screen transitions, etc...
    I get that this would be involved, but (IMHO) the aggregate everything and make it easier/"Apple" way of doing things isn't always what everyone wants, even while driving a car.

My experience with voice functions have been lackluster, and my results are hit or miss. One time it works, the next it finds a different result, which leads me to not using the system much if at all. I get that Cue uses an offline kind of voice interaction (Nuance) and Google's is all cloud bases, but Google Now has me spoiled when it comes to understanding what I'm actually saying vs giving me bad results. Also Google Maps just seems better laid out, and simpler to use and read than Navteq maps or whatever Cue decided to go with.
    To be honest (and yes I'm sure I'm a minority) if I could turn off the voice features and everything would work faster and be indexed and even just have a file based music directories I'd be much happier.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    I love when I see Cody's name on this forum because I feel like he's always dropping hints at updates and improvements they have made for the next release. I for one, CANNOT WAIT until I can get my hands on this update!!
    I agree that I do enjoy seeing a response from him, and also then wonder if he answered my specific question(s) or someone else's.
    I'm not sure if I refer to him as "Cody" but I get the reference. Unless his real name is actually Cody, and in that case my assumed reference is wrong.

Also codeman, thanks for the Pandora tips, you're right that Cue does re-look for the device if you exit into another media source and come back. If I have the "check connected device" I can restart my phone (just killing the Pandora app on the phone doesn't seem to fix the issue) and go into some other media source, when I go back to Pandora it seems to find the phone and then work again. It's still frustrating, but very likely to be on the phone side, and not on Cue's.

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    I'm not sure if I refer to him as "Cody" but I get the reference. Unless his real name is actually Cody, and in that case my assumed reference is wrong.
    Haha. Yes, his real name is Cody. He posted it on one of these threads a while back.

Yep, it's Cody

JDsCustom1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): XTS Platinum

I would like a fix for my iPod.. I have an iPod in all of my cars plugged in through the USB.. When I am on a playlist and exit the xts turning the car off .. When I get back in the iPod will not track up or down it stays on the song it was on prior to leaving the car.. If I track up it just starts the song over same for,track back.. I can't change songs unless I reselect play list.. Pretty frustrating

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    The indexing time is a pain for me too. I have a 120g iPod nearly always connected. When I get into the car, I often connect my 32g iPhone so that it doesn't drain battery on the way to work (and recharges on the way home).

With both of these devices, it's often still indexing 20 min in to my 25 min commute. Given this is for voice command that I virtually never use for music selection, I see a big system slow down to support a feature I don't care much about.

Even an option to disable voice command for music selection (and thereby disable indexing) would be a huge boon to me. And I would happily spot you a few megs of storage on both devices to cache an index. If my iPod never leaves the car, there's no need to re-index. And one could assert that by monitoring the USB port status until after the car is locked.

More on Pandora issues: I've had this happen about 5 times, and I actually think it's a bluetooth issue with Cue and not Pandora at all.

Listening to music with Pandora on a track change the music reverts back to playing audio from my phone instead of through Cue/Pandora app.
    The information on the Cue Pandora app looks correct and I can even change stations, however the audio will still continue to play on the phone, and not on Cue.
    If I power cycle my phone Cue/Pandora just sits and says "acquiring Pandora radio". At this point my phone is still showing up as connected (in Cue, not in Pandora), even if I completely power off my phone.
    I can go to the phone menu on Cue and the contacts are still listed, and the battery/signal are still showing up (even though the phone is off).

Now normal behavior of Cue is if I power cycle my phone Cue will give a message stating "Nexus 4 disconnected" and once the phone powers back up I then see "Nexus 4 connected" however when I have this Pandora lack of audio issue I don't see either of those messages. Which then makes me think the problem isn't necessarily related to Pandora (even though it seems to cause the issue to happen) but more related to the Bluetooth connection between the phone and Cue and that it stops responding.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Side note to beat it to death: Tell the other group at GM to stop indexing EVERYTIME we start the car!..
    That is all... =P

Bungee, I've seen exactly what you've described and it happens when my Droid 3 freezes and locks up and I have to pull the battery. The phone could be powering back up and I can still get to my contacts list. I don't think this is necessarily an issue with CUE as we don't constantly ping the phone to make sure it is still there. Doing so would put unnecessary drain on the the battery. I have seen that eventually the phone shows up as disconnected, and I think that is a result of a periodic check we do with the phone to make sure it is still there, but we just don't do it constantly.

Now, normally when I power down my phone, I will get the Disconnected message like you said, followed by the Connected message when it comes back up. So I think that when things are operating normally, there is a handshake that occurs when the phone powers down and gracefully disconnects, rather than just no longer responding.

So if it's at all similar to how my phone acts when it freezes, it very well could be the phone where somewhere in the Bluetooth stack it is getting hung up and stops responding. I'm not a technical expert with the Bluetooth side of things, but that's my guess based on what you've described and what I've seen with my phone as well.

Thanks for the response, however my situation is different than yours in that my phone hasn't frozen or locked up.
    In fact I can still see the artist info, the track time counter is counting, the slide bar is updating, and I can even change stations, it's just that the A2DP side of things or whatever streaming method that it's using for the audio part of it seems to not be functioning anymore.

I think we may have a similar issue, just a bit different too.. =)
    It's frustrating as it won't work again until Cue is restarted, there is nothing on the phone end that will fix this issue.

What's even worse is (as of yesterday exactly what happened) I still have a good 20 minute drive home and Pandora is broken until the next time I restart the car (and I guess wait for the 2 minutes for it to fully restart on start up), so I change media to my SD card that has been in the car (not removed) for weeks and I go to it and it says something like "no device found", so I then reach in and remove the SD card and reinsert it, and Cue then see's it and starts indexing. Of course that takes a while so I just give up and listen to the radio.. Grrrr.....

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

I agree for SD Cards and USB flash devices where the interface is a native FAT drive, that it should be able to build a database of tags locally on that card, provided there is enough free space. I can see why this would be difficult on iPods and iPhones, but plain flash storage devices using FAT should be allowed.

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by Yplus
    I agree for SD Cards and USB flash devices where the interface is a native FAT drive, that it should be able to build a database of tags locally on that card, provided there is enough free space. I can see why this would be difficult on iPods and iPhones, but plain flash storage devices using FAT should be allowed.
    iPods all have an option to allow you to use the iPod's disk (or these days, solid-state memory) as a mountable volume. Of course, one would have to turn that setting on when the iPod was connected to your computer, but that's one option. I'm not an iOS expert so there may be others as well.

Also, the real need is to cache the index. If CUE can buffer 30 minutes of audio, it probably has enough memory to store a cache.

Runch Machine is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium, 2013 SRX Premium

Cody, the indexing of music each time the car is started is a huge problem for the users of the CUE system. It's necessary to come up with a solution that doesn't require indexing each time. I've had my car for 3 weeks, use either an Ipod or SD card for music almost exclusively and the current system isn't workable. Please discuss this with your peers and come up with some alternatives. Feel free to ask for feedback from the participants of this group. We all want the same thing, which is for CUE to be successful.
    CDN XTS and CDN XTS like this.

NJRonbo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

It's necessary to come up with a solution that doesn't require indexing each time. I've had my car for 3 weeks, use either an Ipod or SD card for music almost exclusively and the current system isn't workable.
    I am really frustrated at this point about this entire CUE debacle and torn about coming on here to continually express that frustration after the folks at GM/Cadillac have at least attempted to communicate on this forum and on the phone.

I have been fortunate to have a rep named Andrew keeping in touch with me on the phone. He's been very patient, and certainly, has shown an interest in responding to the emails that I have sent him. I have to give kudos to the CUE infotainment team for the dedication they have shown to their customers.

But here is what it boils down to....

The future of CUE, at least in the current 2013 and under vehicles, seems uncertain. At least that is the impression I got from the phone call.

The biggest problem with CUE is its indexing. I'm sorry, but having CUE re-index your phone, iPod or SD card every time you enter the vehicle was an idiotic decision on GM's part. The fact that I have to wait up to 10 minutes to use my phone when entering the vehicle, or can't listen to iPod music because it takes even longer to sync it, is just plain inexcusable. Really, who looked at that functionality and thought it was a good idea?

Yes, we are being promised some sort of fix, but I am wondering, can a fix can really be done? After talking with the CUE rep on the phone yesterday, I was told that some vehicles don't have a hard drive to store all that information. So, what would the fix be? My 2013 SRX may not have an internal drive. It's also possible that the current hardware is not fast enough to speed up the indexing process. Are we really going to see a fix where you can get in your car and have the opportunity to immediately make a phone call? Can the iPod indexing really be fixed for those of us with thousands of songs?

I am keeping faith that the CUE team will come up with something to fix these problems for current owners, but something tells me that many of the shortcomings of the current units won't be fixed until faster hardware is made available for perhaps the 2014 models. If faster hardware is the answer to the problem, the right thing to do would be for Cadillac to recall every current vehicle when that hardware is made available. But we all know that will never happen -- but it should. Anyone who bought this expensive vehicle expecting CUE to meet their expectations should have the opportunity to get a new unit should processing speed be the culprit.

It all comes down to this....

Cadillac is a premium brand. The cost of owning their vehicles doesn't come cheap. Cadillac owners expect the very best of everything in that brand. CUE does not live up to those expectations and I am highly disappointed to see that this system was even greenlit to be installed in their fleet when it has problems like these. This has been said many times before....I feel like a beta tester for GM. Furthermore, I fear that through my entire future ownership of this very expensive vehicle I am going to be faced with problems related to this system just because the manufacturer did not take the time to get all the bugs out before introducing it to the market. It's very unfair for every Cadillac owner that expected something revolutionary from this CUE system.

With apologies to Andrew and Codeman. We do appreciate you being here. Sometimes some of us feel the need to vent about this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.