Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread

37K views 164 replies 40 participants last post by  GTPprix 
#1 ·
I'm kind of surprised there isn't a sticky for this but here's my initial go at it. (I hope the board moderators can have a sticky post with the current Cue version, what changed, when it was released, etc.) Cue is OK but it has rough edges for sure. I encourage others to submit their suggestions.

* iPhone via USB - Cover art for same song but different band doesn't update / stays same
* Doesn't return to navigation - when I have navigation up, take a call with the hands free button (and don't touch anything else) Cue screen never returns to navigation, even after call ends. Agh!
* Voice prompts not short enough - On other new Chevy's I could start talking before the beep (if quick enough) and issue a command before (and it would accept it). Even with Short Prompts, I have to hear the lady ask me to issue a command EVERY SINGLE TIME. /cry
* If there is just one match for *anything* just go ahead and do it. I don't need to confirm it. If it's "wrong" it's still quicker to hit the cancel button and start a new command vs. waiting for the car to speak the command and speak a reply to it. Yeah I know the 5 way can help with this some, but seriously, why confirm if there just one match??? I know this may not be for everyone, but please give me option so I can enable this behavior.
* Voice input for Navigation to Address - sort of same as above, but if I confirm it on the smaller display, why do I need to hit "Go" on the Cue display? I know these are somewhat separate systems, but the additional "Go" confirmation seems redundant.
* Prompt length zero / errors only - only have the car talk if I make a mistake, if I take too long to reply, etc. Even with "Short Prompts" the car talks WAY too much. I've had the car for two weeks. I know most of the menu's and don't need the unsolicited prompts/"help" all the time.

See less See more
#101 · (Edited)
jeffpaletz said:
I really don't see a need for a hard drive due to the memory that already exists in the system and the ease of putting in a USB or SD card that holds many gigs of storage. It's very easy to load music onto an SD card from a computer and insert it into the car. As far as a place to store the index, the radio has a lot of memory in it since it can store up to 30 minutes of audio. An index of thousands of songs would take up very little space, especially compared to storing even 1 minute of audio.
I've been thinking about that (I earlier considered the same solution), and now I'm not sure it's true.

The cached audio is most likely compressed, and depending on bit rate and CODEC, 30 min would typically be around 30 MB or so of memory -- much less if encoded at low bit rates. Depending on what being storing in the index, the index size could be trivial or it could exceed the size of the radio cache.

Of course, there may be other memory sources available for the index, we just don't know.

Also, they could use space on the users USB or SD Card.
This seems like a more promising possibility, but again might be non-trivial. So far as I know, CUE doesn't write *any* files to USB, so the basic functionality to write a file to an attached volume might not be present in the current implementation.

Regardless of my points above, I do believe that a solution to indexing *could* be implemented, if there was sufficient motivation to do so. But it might or might not be easy.

#107 ·
Sounds like that may be an issue with CUE not accepting contacts that don't have a phone number associated... Although I can't say for sure whether that's CUE not accepting them, or if iOS simply isn't pushing them. Good to know that's a requirement, though.

Side note, I finally got around to disconnecting my ipod, and confirmed that I was finally able to use voice commands to call contacts. I'm bummed that I can't really use my ipod, though. As a temporary fix, how about an option to disable media indexing on ipods / iphones? I don't care that much about not being able to pull up media by voice commands for the time being, though that's with the assumption that the indexing issues will be resolved sooner than later.

#108 · (Edited)
Cody:
So, to summarize my contact issue: Contacts from an iPhone 4s with iOS 6 with no phone numbers will not be seen in the navigation's list. Even if they have a full physical address.

Now, to be entirely fair, this is probably an iOS issue. Also it seems pretty trivial, granted the fact that I have the phone with the contact's address in the car.

#109 ·
On the very importing indexing issue still being addressed, anyone know whether the iTunes folder (which iTunes placed in my Music Folder on my computer which also appears to cache all music files) is needed on my SD card in my car and would deleting that folder on the SD car speed up indexing or does CUE need data from this folder? Doubt it as there are no mp3 or the like files in the folder. On the other hand could the iTunes Music Library.xml file be used by CUE to speed up indexing?. It took over 40 minutes for me to finally be able to put an artist on a favorite button and not being told that it is still indexing.

#110 ·
Regarding this indexing issue: Maybe I'm just lucky but it seems like my car isn't re-indexing every time? I'm using a 64 GB microSD card (with adapter) formatted as NTFS with about 6k songs on it. Every time I add or delete songs it takes about 10-15 minutes to re-index. However once that happens, I leave the SD card in the car and when I start it up, all of the songs and playlists are immediately available. It usually takes the full 10-15 minutes (when it is re-indexing) to see the playlists.

So I'm not sure if I'm just lucky, or if it's the fact that I'm using an SD card, or that it's formatted as NTFS, or what not... but this appears to be working!

PS: When I originally was testing the 64 GB microSD card... it wasn't being recognized by CUE... but my 32 GB microSD card was. I ended up swapping the adapters and it worked. Not sure why, but the adapter that came with the 64 GB microSD card wasn't working in CUE... but it did work in my computer. So keep that in mind if you're having issues.

#111 ·
@ danscrim

I just posted the following (see link below) which is very much related to the issue and I indicated there my brief experience and it may also explain the issue of your 64GB card experience which has to be an SDXC version as any of the others only support up to 32GB as far as I know. (Micro/mini/standard refer to physical size not space as far as I know)

The more I am trying to look into the iTunes folder the more questions I have. There is certainly a lot in it which may not be needed including video info, just noted iTunes actually also copied all my video files (in a different format - m4v) from my Video folder into the iTunes folder but I am not sure if such delays the indexing or not. e.g. is CUE simply ignoring the CACHE, movies, etc. and only looks up the data in the iTunes files which has the playlists and of course also indexes every music file.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-xts-forum/279204-music-transfer.html

From my very brief experience (only have the car for a few days), there seems to be a difference between viewing via CUE data on the SD card and selecting a song, etc. and the indexing aspect required for placing something on a favorite button etc. After putting the CD card in and selecting it, I was immediately able to search for an artist, etc. select and play music, including playing music from the card via Shuffle, but I was not able to place that artist on a favorite button because indexing was not completed.

At this stage I am only guessing as to what actions requires the time consuming indexing at every start of the car v/s playing a song from the card. Reading Cody's comments I am sure the CUE people are looking into the indexing "time problem" to provide a fix which it certainly needs.

#112 ·
@CDN XTS

Thanks for the link. First off... if you're on Windows... click Alt. Go to View -> Show Status Bar to display the bottom bar with the number of songs.

Secondly, yes CUE does support Video. I haven't gotten it to work yet so I'm unsure if it is just in park (I assume so) or also available when the vehicle is just not in motion (kind of useless anyway). If I get that working, I'll let you know.

Thirdly, next time I update the songs on the device and I know it is indexing I will attempt to save an artist as a favorite and let you know how it goes.

Lastly, you're right... micro definitely is just the physical size (not capacity). That's why I needed the adapter to play it. My 64 GB SD Card is a SDXC card, but as someone else on another thread previously mentioned... it's generally the default format (exFAT) that is not compatible. When formatted as NTFS it usually works (which it does for me). It's just weird that it only works in one of the microSD adapters. No idea why.

Thanks for all the great info!

#116 ·
@CDN XTS

Thanks for the link. First off... if you're on Windows... click Alt. Go to View -> Show Status Bar to display the bottom bar with the number of songs. <Thanks have 2905 songs.>

Secondly, yes CUE does support Video. I haven't gotten it to work yet so I'm unsure if it is just in park (I assume so) or also available when the vehicle is just not in motion (kind of useless anyway). If I get that working, I'll let you know. < someone else said it works "sometimes" - Personally I don't wont video in the car, even it parked, Can alwasy use my iPad >

Thirdly, next time I update the songs on the device and I know it is indexing I will attempt to save an artist as a favorite and let you know how it goes. <tried again - only works after indexing completed - see my rather long further post in my previously posted link >

Lastly, you're right... micro definitely is just the physical size (not capacity). That's why I needed the adapter to play it. My 64 GB SD Card is a SDXC card, but as someone else on another thread previously mentioned... it's generally the default format (exFAT) that is not compatible. When formatted as NTFS it usually works (which it does for me). It's just weird that it only works in one of the microSD adapters. No idea why. < so CUE can actually use SDXC cards - just don't know why such info for both SD and USB port specification have not been documented in the manual nor advised elsewhere, say the Caddy website.>

Thanks for all the great info! < you are welcome, let's help each other, that why I like this forum >
See my reply imbedded in red in the qoute.

#113 ·
I finally got to take CUE for a short road trip - ~3.5 hours each way. Had a couple quirks... First, since it's on topic, the ipod indexing - I plugged my ipod in about halfway through on the way there, and left it plugged in. On the way back, after 2 hours of driving pressing the voice commands button still said 'device initializing'. :(

The other annoying quirk was when we were streaming Pandora over bluetooth. We wanted to switch to my friend's phone to access his Pandora mixes, so we paired his device and that worked perfectly... After a while I wanted to reconnect my phone for some reason or another, so we went back to the phones page. With Pandora still playing through his phone, I clicked my device (previously paired) and the music stopped. His phone said the bluetooth connection was dead, but CUE still said it was connected. There was no prompt to disconnect. I tried clicking the X on his device, and the prompt to disconnect came up, but CUE never released the connection. Tried everything else we could think of, but couldn't do anything with bluetooth until I had the opportunity to shut the car down and let CUE reboot.

Did not have the opportunity to do more tests (like whether or not the same issue would have occurred if I'd clicked the X to disconnect his device before clicking my device, or if the issue is even replicable by following the same steps...)

#114 ·
I finally got to take CUE for a short road trip - ~3.5 hours each way. Had a couple quirks... First, since it's on topic, the ipod indexing - I plugged my ipod in about halfway through on the way there, and left it plugged in. On the way back, after 2 hours of driving pressing the voice commands button still said 'device initializing'. :(
Just be careful with this. Depending upon what type of phone you have, this could be caused by a bug unrelated to indexing your iPod. For example.... I have a an SD card and iPod plugged in and even when they are fully indexed my car will ALWAYS say "Device Initializing...". I believe this bug, which causes a never ending "Device Initialization," affects Android users (only? I believe?) when connected through Bluetooth. Cody has confirmed this as a nasty bug that has been addressed in the next CUE update.

So it very well could have been your iPod, but 2 hours seems like a reallllllly long time to index a device. So I wouldn't be surprised if you were encountering this bug.

#115 ·
True, I'm not positive what's happening in the background... But as long as I unplug the ipod prior to starting the car, the 'device initializing' prompt goes away fairly quickly. If it's plugged in when I start, even if I later unplug it, I never seem to get rid of that device initializing message.

#117 ·
Wow this thread is awesome. Unfortunately, GM support is Canada is less than helpful with CUE issues, but I've read through the thread and its great to see a direct link to the team. I'm a software developer myself, so its awesome to have a direct line to developers.

I have two issues, that I'm hoping will be corrected:

1. No MTP support. Unfortunately, my RAZR HD with Jelly Bean no longer supports mass media mode for the internal card, and CUE doesn't recognize the phone in MTP mode. Any idea whether this will be supported? This is the way of the future for most android phones unfortunately.

2. CUE can't display album art from AAC files on USB/android phones even though it is embedded. The files are downloaded from iTunes directly, and I've confirmed with other programs that the album art is embedded in the file. CUE will not display them (though itunes files show album art if you are using an apple device).

Congrats on building an impressive system. Even with these quirks, I'm very happy with it.

#118 ·
Thanks so much for the compliment. It is really appreciated, and we hope to be able to keep improving the system to make the experience even better.

1. I do not believe MTP support is currently being worked on, but it could be. We used to have MTP in our previous systems when Windows PlaysForSure devices were prevalent, along with Zune, but with the death of both of those, we elected to drop it. But, if that's how Android phones are going, I'll try to bring it up to get it back in. Thanks for the tip!

2. I'm not sure about the album art for the AAC files. I'll also check into this one. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work so we'll see!

Thanks again,
Cody

#122 ·
Thanks for the link. Here's my version of the article:

"Blah blah blah blah ....Siri Eye Free through steering wheel button...."
Yeeesssss!!
"...blah blah blah ....Loaner Car...."

Uhm, CTS-V Wagon maybe considering the few months I've spent relearning how to safely drive a car without Siri? :lildevil:

Still no mention of the CUE App Store or how we would get 3rd part apps on CUE??

#121 ·
Informative, thank you.

I had previously read the Engadget article which also talks about future implementations of Cue having some form of knobs/buttons added as opposed to touch only inputs.

I have to say I wish some things were physical knobs/buttons, like volume & seat heaters to name a few.

#127 ·
As to volume, a) I don't have an issue with the physical bar below the CUE screen which I can find "blind" just like the physical nob on my previous STS and b) there are still two physical buttons for volume "up" and "down" right on the steering wheel - at least on my XTS. And that bar gives my younger wife, riding in the passenger seat, the same control as the previous nob in turning down the volume, so that my "old" ears have some difficulty to hear the music. Maybe I should have said "unfortunately". LOL.

As to seat heaters, the "touch" buttons on my XTS works just a good as the more physical buttons on my STS, and I usually set the seat heater prior to putting the car into gear, so I don't have a problem. The same goes for the seat A/C which were not even available on my 03 STS, so I am looking forward to those in the summer.

But that's me and even at age 78 I have no problem to adapt to different ways - after all, it's impossible to please everyone - , but I do respect the views of others. It could also be the case that "virtual" buttons may be easier to control via changable software than hard wired buttons. But I am not an expert on such. For example, CUE could probably programmed to start the heater in low, medium or high via a user preset, rather than touching that virtual button more than once - I'm not suggesting this as a "wish", this is just an example. Another example may be the available setting for maximum start-up volume on page 98 of the CUE manual, although I am not sure if this could just as easily be implemented with a hard wired nob.

#125 ·
I am asking about some of your user experience with the favorite bars and how to get it to go up or down. Today I and my wife and my daughter all tried to swipe anywhere on the big screen to get the favorites bar to do anything. I got it to come up while swiping the left side of the screen but the only way to get it to go back to one row of favorites was by swiping directly on the down arrow head in the center of the top of the favorites bar. No matter who or where we tried it would not budge unless the actual arrow head was contacted. I was led to believe that any up or down swipe would make the favorites bar respond. This became a big issue in Downtown Atlanta while using the Nav to locate a rental hall and when the hand movement row comes into play along with a double row of favorites there is no Nav screen left to look at. We missed our turn and had to circle back because the screen was totally obstructed with unwanted crap. I tried using the HOME button and then Nav but immediately I got two rows of favorites and the hand motion row and only a one inch nav screen. Folks there has to be a solution to this madness. I have a car that fights me on almost every issue unless I change my entire way of thinking. The favorites bar that I love has to have a dedicated on/off button so that it can be activated or deleted when it is necessary. And the hand motion sensor needs an owner time limit adjustment like my cable box info setting. What I realized this weekend was that if you are doing what you do on an everyday basis then this CUE system is fine but when you are doing something that requires a new quick approach this thing needs work. One idea I had during my NAV debacle is that when there is a navigation maneuver coming up that the Nav screen should delete everything but the nav info. Try it yourself and see what happens during an intown heavy traffic maneuver and the screen has two rows of favorites and the hand motion row. There is no Nav screen left and there is no quick way to clear it that I know of. Man I hope the update has some answers.

#126 ·
I learned that you have to press harder than you might otherwise think you have to in order to get the screen to recognize you are touching it. I have an Ipad and Iphone and you have to press harder on the CUE screen than you do on an ipad. I have experienced the issue of the screen not clearing for a couple of minutes after your hand is removed from the area. I don't have any suggestions for that.

#133 ·
Yep, when listening to the radio and in the audio application, tap the Menu button in the lower right corner of the screen. Then you can tap the Timeshift item to toggle it on. It'll then start buffering just like you were using in your 2010 SRX. Also, similar to the function in the CTS, when listening to XM or to HD Radio, if you tap the skip back or skip forward, it'll skip to the beginning of the song, or if it's regular FM or AM radio, it'll skip in 30 sec increments.

#132 ·
I do not have an issue with any of the "Touch" buttons but the way each is touched does not get the same results each time. I have tapped the up down arrow on the screen when a selection is required and sometimes it jumps one or two spots and other times it will not move. Volume is fine with both the wheel control and the slide control on the console. I guess my concern is that the effort to do many things on the CUE menu is not consistent and requires more attention sometimes than is necessary. I think that it would be nice to have virtual or fixed buttons for "Back", "Favorites" and the hand motion menu bar. With these buttons you could display them or eliminate them with the same button. Also, sometimes I get the haptic feedback and other times I don't but the input still works. Why?

#138 ·
Some times you feel like the hydrant and some times you feel like the dog. Today, hydrant day, sitting in my drive way after a short trip to the store I decided to try and get the favorites bar to appear on the nav page. The menu would pop up as my hand approached and then I would attempt to slide the small arrow head upwards. It NEVER worked one single time. I tried above the menu bar on the screen and the screen or map moved up. I tried on the gap between destination and menu about twenty times and all I ever got was one of those two items even though I was not that close to either. There has to be something wrong with my screen. I did get the favorites bar with the favorites button and then if I put my finger exactly on the down arrow head I could get it to go down. Never up. Codeman, is this something that could be specific to my car alone? Do any others have this problem? I guess I'll wait for the recall on the CUE to get it looked at but as it is now it is unusable. How about putting the favorites button on the popup menu?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.