Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Johnfran When on a trip be nice to see just the rest areas on your ROUTE instead ...
    codeman71 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Cue Wishlist/Fix/Refinement thread

Quote Originally Posted by Johnfran View Post
    When on a trip be nice to see just the rest areas on your ROUTE instead of all in the area.
    That one's already in the system. When you are in the POIs menu, just tap the Search Near button near the top right corner of the screen and then select Along Route and it'll filter it down to only locations that are along the route.

Johnfran is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS Premium

Thanks codeman71. Found the command it works good.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Some times you feel like the hydrant and some times you feel like the dog. Today, hydrant day, sitting in my drive way after a short trip to the store I decided to try and get the favorites bar to appear on the nav page. The menu would pop up as my hand approached and then I would attempt to slide the small arrow head upwards. It NEVER worked one single time. I tried above the menu bar on the screen and the screen or map moved up. I tried on the gap between destination and menu about twenty times and all I ever got was one of those two items even though I was not that close to either. There has to be something wrong with my screen. I did get the favorites bar with the favorites button and then if I put my finger exactly on the down arrow head I could get it to go down. Never up. Codeman, is this something that could be specific to my car alone? Do any others have this problem? I guess I'll wait for the recall on the CUE to get it looked at but as it is now it is unusable. How about putting the favorites button on the popup menu?

JWLaRue is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX

I have the same issue with the favorites bar. I can usually get it to show up relatively easily, but getting it to go away is a *frustrating* experience. Easily the worse human-computer interface design I have ever seen.

Let's hope the CUE update has a more obvious and more easily activated means of using this.

-Jeff

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    I feel the same way about the favorites bar. It goes up pretty easy but getting it to leave the screen takes your guided attention. To be clear when I swipe it up its no problem. When I swipe it down to a single bar it's no problem. To get it get completely off the screen that's the problem. Example, if I'm on pandora and I don't want to see the favorites when I try to remove it, the channel will usually switch to the preset before I can get it to get off. And while we're on the subject of of favorites, why can't we have a favorite +\- button to go thru the presets from the screen? My wife loves to channel surf and using the favorites from the passenger side is getting old already.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

To me the favorites bar is like the Home button in that when you want it you want with no effort like the original favorites bar in the old radios of the past. They were always there and it took no thought to punch the button of your choice. CUE is like a video game that you have to play to get to the favorites bar. This is the exact opposite of the intent of the original favorites bar buttons. It was to be a mindless effort to get the desired station/access that you desired without having to make an effort to get it. I love technology that make life simpler but to make something that was designed to make things simpler more complicated is not innovation. How about a permanent favorites button on the haptic bar menu and a back button on every screen. Today my wife from the passenger's seat tried to enter a new destination and her hand caused a screen pop up on the nav screen but to get rid of it we had to use EXIT and then start all over again. If there was a back button like every computer in the world then we could have pressed it and kept going on the original screen. I'm sorry but this system does not seem to mimic the computers that we use every day of our lives. I figure that when you introduce something to the public you need to look at their daily lives and offer something that mimics what they do normally. This system neither mimics their daily lives nor offers a short cut to the same functions. What do we use everyday? A mouse, a BACK button, an ENTER button and a cut/copy/paste button. Why did they leave these out? Where is the innovation in this design? I am trying to work with it but I didn't buy a car to go to school on to be able to select my favorite radio station with three or four presses of a virtual button that may work or not and that is a step backwards in progress. I traded my 2011 SRX in for this car because of the engine and the CUE system. The engine is fine but the CUE system is so under developed that I am considering other options if the new "Update" doesn't correct some of my problems. I know some of you consider anyone who questions this system as an old fogie or a technofobe but I am neither. I have flown the nations finest jet fighters and the best airliners and they would have never allowed anything this unreliable in the cockpit of either genre. This system is like a child's game that was not developed to the point of being ready for production. It's like a collection of ideas from some real smart people but it seems like they forgot what their mission was. That mission was to create a system to HELP the driver focus more time on the job of driving and less time on the infotainment system. This system requires more eye time than watching a video movie while driving which is illegal. Today while driving my wife wanted to delete some earlier destinations from our system. She got out the manual and looked up delete destinations in the CUE manual and guess what it wasn't in there. She finally found it by going through the many menus and trial and error. Some on this forum have their biggest issue with their music playlist which I can appreciate but that is a bonus of the system not it's primary function. I cannot even get the screen to work when I crank up the car to go until I back out and put it into drive. It has no user friendly functions until you are ready to drive and then it is too late. Think about it, you have to wait on your car to get ready for you to tell it what to do so that you can make a phone call, select a destination or play music. Any desire that you have must wait on the car to be ready not you. My screen is so unreliable until I back out of my garage that it is unusable. As you all know if the back up camera is on NOTHING works. Usually most of us like to set up our car BEFORE we start out on our trip. I cannot do this with this system. Maybe it is my car that has a problem and if it is I apologize for beating up on the CUE system. My wife and I are approaching the point that we are no longer amused at this system. It is so time and focus consuming that it will lead us to an unpleasant place. Codeman please tell me that I am wrong and that it is my car that is the problem.

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    I agree with quite a lot of what inspectorudy wrote -- but in spite of its flaws, I'm impressed the CUE team was able to try to make a product that was apart from all of the others. But I think that the pursuit of flashy UI features has stood in the way of genuine usability. I think the difficulties with favorites hide/reveal interaction supports that POV

For me, though, the good news is that at the end of the day, it's all software. It can be fixed if the organization allows it to be. I just hope the fixes are substantial, and not just technical. I think many components of the interaction design need to be reconsidered in the context of the limited attention one can devote while driving a car.

Touch screens, in my opinion, are not optimum for a car. You have to look at the screen for too long to guide your finger all the way to the control widget (as opposed to a knob, where you get your hand close and can do the rest by feel), and then you have to deal with the car as unstable platform for fine motor control. Anyone who has tried to write in a moving vehicle knows what I mean.

I think an in-car touchscreen can be made usable -- however one must design the screen with simple interactions and largish buttons -- among other things. Does that look 'sexy'? Probably not. But save the sexy for the functions, not the UI. Case in point: I love the favorites bar, even though the hide/reveal and scrolling through blank buttons drives me crazy -- the *function* of storing almost anything there is awesome.

The CUE team can succeed; look at how well the home screen works and how good it looks.

It's also worth noting that some of the issues I'm griping about are exacerbated by latent system responses to user interactions -- which (in my case) is in part because the car seems to be perpetually indexing. It's conceivable that more CPU cycles devoted to UI responsiveness might be sufficient to make a difference.

wsufans is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX, 1966 Sedan DeVille

The cue system is bound to have some teething problems. I never expected it to be perfect out of the box. But for a first effort it is pretty good. The good thing is that it is software and that it can be updated.

Some of my wishes.

-Access to apps on the phone or ??? so I could dictate a list of items for the grocery store or?
    -A button on main screen for a display of all auto info such as all trip computer values, temps, voltage, amps, oil pressure, RPM, fuel economy, oil life et al
    - vehicle service history records. I would like a function that I could keep track of fuel purchases, it would record odometer, date, time, fuel economy, I would enter gallons and price paid, maybe a comment or two. Maybe GPS coordinates, Then at a later date post it to USB stick for other record keeping purposes.
    - a function to capture system data snapshots. The use case my SRX wouldn't start the other day (mass air flow sensor and high altitude) but I could take a snap shot while it cranked and didn't start but also overlay voice notes about observations of the event to help the service folks sort it out. But then again it would be cool if the system could sense that things are not going right like the engine is cranking too long and automatically take a snapshot of system parameters for service tech analysis. Maybe even send the snapshot directly to the service techs at your preferred dealer.
    - when you save system settings to USB put it in a human readable format so one could compare the selections to the menu structure to confirm settings. It now saves in XML which is OK but.
    - I have saved my settings to USB but would like to know how to reload them
    - view trip meter in lower corner of main screen and allow a quicker reset. Could be trip B.
    - instead of toggling thru media devices allow direct selection from a list or ?????
    - When searching stations or song let up/down buttons on wheel scroll
    - show compass arrow on corner of nav screen. The nav system in our 2003 Murano had this and we found it quite useful particularly with the heading up mode
    - the beep or buzz seat setting appear to be global, allow different assignments for different functions. My example the parking proximity sensors seat buzz OK but i would like beeps indicating proximity like on the DIC but depending upon the wheel angle you can't see that display and really shouldn't be watching it. In general I like the seat buzz as it isn't as obtrusive to passengers et al than all the beeping that could be going on.
    - allow selection of different beep tones for different warnings or functions

A few Problems.

- after update our iPhone4 won't pair to via blue tooth. The phone will connect to other bluetooth devices the service managers iPhone paired just fine. Our Android paired just fine as well. This one isn't consistent enough yet to sort out.
    - some times the nav screen would end up with north down while heading north, toggle around on the nav icon and you would get it right again
    - with passenger in seat or heavy bag on seat the audible seat belt warning activities but no lighted icon so it is hard to sort out why it is beeping.

Bertha D Blues is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by wsufans View Post
    - I have saved my settings to USB but would like to know how to reload them
    How does one save settings to USB? I read my manual cover to cover and must have missed that. Thanks. Bert

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    How does one save settings to USB? I read my manual cover to cover and must have missed that. Thanks. Bert
    I believe it is under settings, software information near the bottom it has that option.

Bertha D Blues is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    I believe it is under settings, software information near the bottom it has that option.
    I checked the settings but there was no save-option in my software information menu. I'll keep looking. Bert

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    I checked the settings but there was no save-option in my software information menu. I'll keep looking. Bert
    As far as I noticed it is only in the new version of Cue and not the old one, so if you haven't taken the update yet you won't have the option.

marktanner is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

There are a few things I miss about my old Nav system from my CTS-V that are missing on CUE. First, my old system always told what street you were on at the bottom of the screen, and if you touched it, it would show the cross streets too. That was incredibly useful, and I really miss it, especially if I'm not on a route. Next, I actually miss the turn Gong. I don't miss the gong when passing exits that weren't supposed to be taken, but the gong at the turn helped a lot, especially if it was a complex intersection, or while talking to a passenger. My old system displayed time to destination and distance at the same time. Having to scroll through them seems needlessly complicated. I would at least like the option of displaying them all in a single window.

My old system had a very easy to use address book. The current one is difficult to enter data into, and then use. I don't necessarily have addresses in all of my contacts in my phone, and I would like better access to addresses in my car.

My old system had an icon that told of traffic conditions either nearby if not on a route, or if there were issues on a route. One button press and they were listed on the screen. If on a route, one press and you could see traffic not on the route. The current CUE requires too much work and attention to get detailed traffic information. I would like to see a traffic button on the Nav screen, and also a traffic icon on the home screen.

My old system would give you a choice of route if the car was stationary when inputting the destination, and show you the different choices on a map. I would like these options on CUE, and add the ECO choice, too. Plus, I would like to see the actual data used to select the choices, such as estimated time, distance, and fuel to be used for each route. The system has to know these things, so why not let us make more informed choices.

I also miss the XM categories listings on the radio.

Other wishes include keeping the clock and temp visible on all screens, as it often disappears during the split screen function. Also, return full capability to the system during split screen functions. Currently, one cannot change climate control during the split screen, which is annoying. Better yet, get climate control out of CUE altogether. The climate controls on the non CUE cars are simpler and superior, IMO, and it would eliminate having two different panels to stock and service.

I don't want to imply that CUE sucks, because it doesn't. These are just a bunch of things that I either miss from my old system, or were better implemented, IMO. I look forward to further updates, and some apps, too. I appreciate the fact that as the system is improved, we all get the updates, and that eventually, even CR might approve.

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    Categories are available on CUE. Click on the browse button and click the 'Cat' in the upper left of the channel list.

codeman71 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    There are a few things I miss about my old Nav system from my CTS-V that are missing on CUE. First, my old system always told what street you were on at the bottom of the screen, and if you touched it, it would show the cross streets too. That was incredibly useful, and I really miss it, especially if I'm not on a route. Next, I actually miss the turn Gong. I don't miss the gong when passing exits that weren't supposed to be taken, but the gong at the turn helped a lot, especially if it was a complex intersection, or while talking to a passenger. My old system displayed time to destination and distance at the same time. Having to scroll through them seems needlessly complicated. I would at least like the option of displaying them all in a single window.

My old system had a very easy to use address book. The current one is difficult to enter data into, and then use. I don't necessarily have addresses in all of my contacts in my phone, and I would like better access to addresses in my car.

My old system had an icon that told of traffic conditions either nearby if not on a route, or if there were issues on a route. One button press and they were listed on the screen. If on a route, one press and you could see traffic not on the route. The current CUE requires too much work and attention to get detailed traffic information. I would like to see a traffic button on the Nav screen, and also a traffic icon on the home screen.

My old system would give you a choice of route if the car was stationary when inputting the destination, and show you the different choices on a map. I would like these options on CUE, and add the ECO choice, too. Plus, I would like to see the actual data used to select the choices, such as estimated time, distance, and fuel to be used for each route. The system has to know these things, so why not let us make more informed choices.

Other wishes include keeping the clock and temp visible on all screens, as it often disappears during the split screen function. Also, return full capability to the system during split screen functions. Currently, one cannot change climate control during the split screen, which is annoying. Better yet, get climate control out of CUE altogether. The climate controls on the non CUE cars are simpler and superior, IMO, and it would eliminate having two different panels to stock and service.

I don't want to imply that CUE sucks, because it doesn't. These are just a bunch of things that I either miss from my old system, or were better implemented, IMO. I look forward to further updates, and some apps, too. I appreciate the fact that as the system is improved, we all get the updates, and that eventually, even CR might approve.
    I appreciate all the feedback about the features that you miss from the previous CTS navigation system. That system definitely was very powerful and is my favorite of our previous nav systems we've built before.

Just a few comments based on what you are missing.

For the current street, you can still access this information, just tap on the ATS vehicle on the map and a little window will show up to the right of the car showing your current street, city, and state. Then at that point you can tap the car again to hide this information, or if you'd like to mark your current location, you can tap this window and then tap the Save button to add it to your address book.

For traffic, we're working to make this a little bit easier to access by not having to scroll the Menu list down to access the Traffic menu.

For the multi-route option, we found that a majority of our casual users were confused by this screen and did not like having to complete another step, so this new flow is an attempt to try to simplify the navigation system a bit.

You should still be able to make adjustments to your climate control when in the split screens in the system. What exactly are you looking for that is not functioning?

As danscrim mentioned, you can access your XM categories by pressing the Cat button in the top left corner of the XM station list that comes up when you tap the Browse button in the center of the audio screen. In addition, you can press the View button to toggle between the Channel Name, Artist Name, and Song Name for what is currently being played on any station. That one little-known feature that I think is pretty powerful when trying to find what to listen to, or even to keep up on the sports scores of various games when you're up in the sports channels.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.