CUE SD cards: SDXC usuable?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, CUE SD cards: SDXC usuable? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey guys. Still waiting on my ATS to arrive, so wanted to check with those of you who already got ...
    sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

CUE SD cards: SDXC usuable?

Hey guys. Still waiting on my ATS to arrive, so wanted to check with those of you who already got them. Does the CUE system allow for SDXC (bigger than 32gb cards)? Wouldn't mind keeping all of the music collection in the car, regardless of having the phone. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Re: CUE SD cards: SDXC usuable?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkid89 View Post
    Hey guys. Still waiting on my ATS to arrive, so wanted to check with those of you who already got them. Does the CUE system allow for SDXC (bigger than 32gb cards)? Wouldn't mind keeping all of the music collection in the car, regardless of having the phone. Thanks!
    Great question and I would have loved to known the answer a few days ago when I ordered a 64 GB SD card (http://www.sandisk.com/products/memo...-with-adapter/). Given how new the car is, I figured no one would know so I decided to just give it a shot.

Once it arrives, I will let you know!

thanks for playing guinea pig. curious to know. I've already got a few thumbdrives kicking around but a large single sd would do me much better

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be working. I loaded it up with about 30 GB of music... put it in and the car just didn't recognize that anything was plugged into the SD slot. I put in a 32 GB that I had laying around with some music on it and it worked.

Another interesting note... it took a really long time for the car to index through the SD card and it appears that it needs to re-do it everytime the car starts? So it literally takes about 10 minutes before you can search for your music. It'll just start playing the first song of the device and when you go into Artists, etc it'll say "Device is initializing". So that was kind of disappointing. As far as large music libraries... it appears that iPod is the best way to go. Hopefully some of these glitches will be worked out in some future updates.

I've had an 80GB iPod classic hooked up (with about 30 GB of music) all this time and it only takes about 30 seconds or so for it to index through that. So you can get listening to that music pretty quickly. I don't know why it takes so long with the SD card.

I've got an android phone with a 32 gig card in it and a 32 gig thumb drive ready to take up some usb space. Guess we'll be going that route if this is as good as it gets for SD cards

I've got an android phone with a 32 gig card in it and a 32 gig thumb drive ready to take up some usb space. Guess we'll be going that route if this is as good as it gets for SD cards
    Yeah like i said I've been using an 80 GB iPod classic but I just bought a used 3rd gen 64GB iPod touch off eBay that I'm going to try out as my main source of audio. From my experience, the iPod integration is the best option (at least for now). However I think the physical hard drive on the classic iPod is slowing it down a bit and might be causing the skipping that's occasionally happening when changing songs that is discussed in another thread. I had experience with a minor delay when changing songs and navigating menus in another car when I switched to the classic from my 1st gen 16 GB iPod touch a number of years ago. So I'm thinking going back to some flash memory will help that a bit.

I swear this car has a mind of its own.

So this time i went for a short drive and it handled the same 32 GB SD card (which i haven't removed) perfectly. It showed me the yellow spinner in the upper left implying (i think) that it was indexing the device. It was very speedier when changing songs (probably a full second or so faster than my iPod classic) as I expected it would be. It even found the playlist file which wasn't showing up before (that I know other people are having trouble with). All in all, it worked perfectly. When I get home I'm going to try the 64 GB SD card again but I doubt that it's going to work (UPDATE - It doesn't). It didn't even recognize it as a device when I tried the first time... whereas the 32 GB was always recognized it was just taking forever to show any music on it.

I'm wondering if the car stores indexing information on the device (if it's writable) and I just wasn't being patient enough. Because it seems like now when it starts up it has the music available almost immediately.

RXUYDC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Premium

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    I swear this car has a mind of its own.

I'm wondering if the car stores indexing information on the device (if it's writable) and I just wasn't being patient enough. Because it seems like now when it starts up it has the music available almost immediately.
    I agree with the mind of its own bit!

It does seem to store tags for one device only. I have an ipod classic that I use, and I usually use my iPhone over bluetooth. The other day I plugged in my phone into the USB jack to charge it, and CUE recognized it as an ipod. It gave a message saying two devices had been found, and which device's tags should it store. I accidentally chose the iphone, at which point the ipod classic music effectively stopped working - it just sat there as though it was looking for something. I had to disconnect then phone and reconnect it, choose the right device at the prompt, and then it worked. Actually it worked better, because it reindexed everything and played tracks in track order where previously it had played then alphabetically.

I can't get the USB to work at all.

So I suspect it can only handle one media streaming device at a time.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    As storage capacity goes up, so does the bugs for awhile. It's why I only have a 16GB micro SD in my phone.

32GB should not have many issues in a regular SD card, but it might.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    As storage capacity goes up, so does the bugs for awhile. It's why I only have a 16GB micro SD in my phone.

32GB should not have many issues in a regular SD card, but it might.
    Why not use USB sticks, or a USB drive? The ATS (with CUE) has one SDcard slot and three USB slots.

Besides, at (avg) 4Mb per song, a 16GB USB or SDcard already holds 4,000 songs. That covers a very long ride.

Fwiw, I just tried out a 32GB SDcard and it works fine.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Yes, but with the native file system of SDXC, no.

SDXC cards work however you can't use ExFAT (native format) and must change over to something that CUE is compatible with such as NTFS, or HFS+ (CUE is only compatible with FAT, NTFS, & HFS+ per it's manual).
    I have a 64GB I'm using right now, and with the exception of some early hiccups while it indexed and a lack of resume another time (there are certainly still a couple bugs with CUE) it seems to work just fine.
    I'm going to put more on the card and see what happens, as of testing I only had roughly 5GB's loaded up.

Try that, see how it works for you. In case you're unfamiliar - in windows right click the drive, say format, check quick format, select file system NTFS and hit go.

I've been using my 32g usb since I picked up the car earlier this week. It does take the car a couple minutes to acknowledge the contents, but no other issues. However, searching through the collection reminds me I have to go and clean up a few of my id3 tags...

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    Yes, but with the native file system of SDXC, no.

SDXC cards work however you can't use ExFAT (native format) and must change over to something that CUE is compatible with such as NTFS, or HFS+ (CUE is only compatible with FAT, NTFS, & HFS+ per it's manual).
    I have a 64GB I'm using right now, and with the exception of some early hiccups while it indexed and a lack of resume another time (there are certainly still a couple bugs with CUE) it seems to work just fine.
    I'm going to put more on the card and see what happens, as of testing I only had roughly 5GB's loaded up.

Try that, see how it works for you. In case you're unfamiliar - in windows right click the drive, say format, check quick format, select file system NTFS and hit go.
    I'll try this tonight!! Thanks for the tip!

I've been using my 32g usb since I picked up the car earlier this week. It does take the car a couple minutes to acknowledge the contents, but no other issues. However, searching through the collection reminds me I have to go and clean up a few of my id3 tags...
    Yeah, I know the feeling. I think I spent an hour the other night cleaning up tags. Mp3Tag is a great program if you're looking to do a ton of songs

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be working. I loaded it up with about 30 GB of music... put it in and the car just didn't recognize that anything was plugged into the SD slot. I put in a 32 GB that I had laying around with some music on it and it worked.

Another interesting note... it took a really long time for the car to index through the SD card and it appears that it needs to re-do it everytime the car starts? So it literally takes about 10 minutes before you can search for your music. It'll just start playing the first song of the device and when you go into Artists, etc it'll say "Device is initializing". So that was kind of disappointing. As far as large music libraries... it appears that iPod is the best way to go. Hopefully some of these glitches will be worked out in some future updates.

I've had an 80GB iPod classic hooked up (with about 30 GB of music) all this time and it only takes about 30 seconds or so for it to index through that. So you can get listening to that music pretty quickly. I don't know why it takes so long with the SD card.
    Interesting info: I had posted on the XTS forum a question under "Technical Info on Audio System" as the manual has no reference to such technical specification. May be it's somewhere and I couldn't find it. Don't have my car yet and only had the downloaded manual and there may be other manuals. So it appears it can read a SDHC card but not the next "size" level. As to speed, is you SDHC card perhaps a slow one, e.g. Class 1 v/s Class 10? Perhaps GM can post such technical info somewhere. While some can be fixed via software updates not everything can, and how soon will a car get out of step when products it originally was able to inferface with get updated. e.g. iPhone 4 seems to work better than iPhone 5, what about the next generations of iPhones? Would the car become too soon obsolete? The manual even speeks about potential problem when updating firmware on some devices. I love new technology but start wondering about compatibility towards the future, would hate to have to buy a new car to fit my new phone, or even my present phone with new firmware LOL.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.