CUE SD cards: SDXC usuable? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
**Cadillac User Experience (CUE)** Discussion, CUE SD cards: SDXC usuable? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I just spent 4 days getting my all my music onto a 64GB USB stick (including converting .m4ps to .m4a ...
    Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Re: CUE SD cards: SDXC usuable?

I just spent 4 days getting my all my music onto a 64GB USB stick (including converting .m4ps to .m4a which was a total PITA) only to find out this morning on my drive to work that it does't recognize 64GB flash storage. Yeah, probably should have done a dry run with a few mp3s...

That's kind of annoying considering my music library is 38GB and I was hoping to just have everything on unit. I hope they can provide a firmware update to support 64GB+. I don't really want to go out and buy an iPod classic just for this.

CDN XTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS -> 2003 STS ->2013 XTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    I just spent 4 days getting my all my music onto a 64GB USB stick (including converting .m4ps to .m4a which was a total PITA) only to find out this morning on my drive to work that it does't recognize 64GB flash storage. Yeah, probably should have done a dry run with a few mp3s...

That's kind of annoying considering my music library is 38GB and I was hoping to just have everything on unit. I hope they can provide a firmware update to support 64GB+. I don't really want to go out and buy an iPod classic just for this.
    Thats a prime example why I believe the manual should list such technical information. Every computer I buy states details as what type of ports it has. My last Garmin GPS stated that as to SD cards I need a mini SD card and that it supports all but SDXC as to size. Come on GM, provide this data. Yes existing manuals cannot be updated but the on-line versions can and/or such data could be posted on a Web-site.

percy615 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Performace

the ATS will take a 128gb SD Card just format it as NTFS first and it will work flawlessly

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by percy615 View Post
    the ATS will take a 128gb SD Card just format it as NTFS first and it will work flawlessly

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    You have a total of TWO posts in these forums. Both are exactly the same. You were asked before how you know 128GB will work and did not answer. You may not realize but not everything an anonymous person says on the internet is automatically true. So, again, what do you base your guaranty that CUE will work with a 128GB card?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    As storage capacity goes up, so does the bugs for awhile. It's why I only have a 16GB micro SD in my phone.

32GB should not have many issues in a regular SD card, but it might.
    I did not have any problems with my Class 10 - 32 GB SDHC card other than when taking it out for a further update last Friday night, it slipped out of my hand (it's certainly not in the storage bin) and after all but taking out my seats, I can't find it. Vanished! LOL. So, since my card was almost full, I am thinking of buying an SDXC card with 64GB and using UHS (Ultra High Speed - Class 1), e.g. SanDisk's Extreme Pro which supports 95MB/s thus faster than the USB 2 60MB/s (theoretical speeds of course). But given the lack of quoted specifications I have complained about for more than 6 months, I hesitate spending the large amount of money for such a card just to test such. Come on GM, please do quote the port specification. I don't even know if the USB port is USB 2 or 3 but prefer for music the SD port given the USB stick "sticks" out and both storage bins where those ports are available are used for other storage too so USB sticks can get easily damaged. Customers should not have to guess as to what is supported.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    You have a total of TWO posts in these forums. Both are exactly the same. You were asked before how you know 128GB will work and did not answer. You may not realize but not everything an anonymous person says on the internet is automatically true. So, again, what do you base your guaranty that CUE will work with a 128GB card?
    After reading your post, just out of curiosity I tried my Patriot Supersonic Magnum 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, after changing the format to NTFS and it worked without a problem in my XTS Platinum. Of course not knowing if it is a USB 2 or 3 port, I don't know what speed it uses (a USB 3 stick is backwards compatible to run in a USB 2 port but, of course, at USB 2 speed). It certainly was a lot faster to load my music on it in my PC then when loading it to my (now lost) Class 10 SDHC card. Percy615 post, however, refers to a 128GB SD card, and I am very much interested in using a SDXC UHS-1 card (<- because of speed advantage), 64 or 128 GB capacity so, in the absence of GM having quoted port specifications, I would be interested if someone actually has used successfully such a card in CUE, before buying one. Yes, for listening a normal class 10 SD card is o.k. but giving present CUE method of re-indexing each time the car is started whether or not the info on the card or stick has changed(while voice control is not yet working (*)), any available speed advantage would be of benefit.
    (*) Based on my experience, "shuttle" seems to change from ON to OFF ONLY each time I physically had removed the card/stick it would seem CUE can tell if the card had been removed. If my assumption is correct, why can CUE not be programmed to simply use the previous indexed data if the card or stick was not removed and forgo the re-indexing?

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    I swear this car has a mind of its own.

So this time i went for a short drive and it handled the same 32 GB SD card (which i haven't removed) perfectly. It showed me the yellow spinner in the upper left implying (i think) that it was indexing the device. It was very speedier when changing songs (probably a full second or so faster than my iPod classic) as I expected it would be. It even found the playlist file which wasn't showing up before (that I know other people are having trouble with). All in all, it worked perfectly. When I get home I'm going to try the 64 GB SD card again but I doubt that it's going to work (UPDATE - It doesn't). It didn't even recognize it as a device when I tried the first time... whereas the 32 GB was always recognized it was just taking forever to show any music on it.

I'm wondering if the car stores indexing information on the device (if it's writable) and I just wasn't being patient enough. Because it seems like now when it starts up it has the music available almost immediately.
    Having tried your SDXC card twice unsuccessfully, I wonder how it was formatted? If not in a format listed in the CUE manual, it would make sense that it didn't work, but if formatted as NTSF and it didn't work, then we all would know that the SD port doesn't support a SDXC card - since GM unfortunately is not responding to the legitimate request from users to provide such information. A shame! So if you didn't re-format the Card as NTSF, perhaps you can do so, give it another try and report the outcome. Note my previous comments when using a 128 GB USB 3 stick which worked after formatting it as NTSF. But while that worked for the CUE USB port (speed still unknown), the SD port would be a different issue. I am not an expert, but I believe port capabilities are also hardware related and not just software.
    As to your question of storing indexing info on the device, it does not, as you can easily check when taking out the device and perusing it on your PC. Based on info I received from Cody (a CUE engineer), CUE does keep indexed data and uses it the next time you start your car, hence the fast reaction as to usability, but it (presently) always starts a re-indexing job at every car start and until that is finished voice control for your music does NOT work and CUE will tell you so if you try voice control. Obviously, if there have been changes made on the device, the old index while working for the unchanged portion as references are still correct, (as it did in my case where I had placed all albums/songs for a specific artist on a favorite button which was the sample issue I had mentioned), it would make sense, that that would not be the case as to new/changed data until the re-index is completed.

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by CDN XTS View Post
    Having tried your SDXC card twice unsuccessfully, I wonder how it was formatted? If not in a format listed in the CUE manual, it would make sense that it didn't work, but if formatted as NTSF and it didn't work, then we all would know that the SD port doesn't support a SDXC card - since GM unfortunately is not responding to the legitimate request from users to provide such information. A shame! So if you didn't re-format the Card as NTSF, perhaps you can do so, give it another try and report the outcome. Note my previous comments when using a 128 GB USB 3 stick which worked after formatting it as NTSF. But while that worked for the CUE USB port (speed still unknown), the SD port would be a different issue. I am not an expert, but I believe port capabilities are also hardware related and not just software.
    CDN XTS,

My 64gb SDXC card is formatted as NTFS and is definitely still working. I use it every day. However, I have been hit or miss on the micro SD -> SD card adapters. One worked, one did not. And the adapter that didn't work for me DOES WORK with a standard micro SD card (i.e., not an SDXC one). So just be wary of that. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.
    CDN XTS and CDN XTS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    CDN XTS,

My 64gb SDXC card is formatted as NTFS and is definitely still working. I use it every day. However, I have been hit or miss on the micro SD -> SD card adapters. One worked, one did not. And the adapter that didn't work for me DOES WORK with a standard micro SD card (i.e., not an SDXC one). So just be wary of that. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.
    Thanks a lot for your feedback. So you got your SDXC card working. That's good news for me and I am sure for many others. I can now go out to buy one. Not that readily available around in the Greater Toronto Area. I really don't intent to use a micro card in an adapter. Have a 32 GB SDHC one which I use in my Garmin GPS and use the adapter when using it in my PC. Garmin clearly stated the requirements. Micro up to SDHC but not SDXC so I knew what to get. But since the XTS has the normal size SD slot, I intend to purchase the rather pricy 64Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 Memory Card with a "theoretical" speed up to 95MB/s (beating the USB 2 "theoretical" speed of 60 MB/s), just to help speeding up that constant indexing. It's unbelievable that GM forces us to do these tests and communicate them to assist others, rather than simply quoting those port specs. No excuse for that. Thanks again. Great help.

UPDATE: Just received my new 64GB SD card (SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 card) - which has a theoretical write/read speed of 90/95 MB/s respectively - based on the capability of the HOST device, which, as to CUE has unfortunately never been revealed by GM (*). As to my PC, my multi SD drive is connected to the USB 2 host device, so I didn't expect a faster write speed than to my USB 2 stick. Was I ever wrong!!!. I reformatted both the USB 2 stick (a 32 GB Verbatim Store N Go) and SD card, from exFat with a 128 kilobyte allocation unit size to NTFS with a 64 kilobyte allocation unit size (largest available on NTSF). Using for this test doubleTwist to transfer 3993 songs (of over 4,000 in iTunes based on 4 selected playlists) took 44 minutes for the SD card but 123 minutes for the USB 2 stick. Generated information on both devices was identical including a byte by byte comparison of those 4 playlists. Of course given doubleTwist re-generates the total layout of iTunes by Artists as previously posted on May 22nd http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...solutions.html and the generation of well over thousand of additional folders and of course having to totally re-generate the iTunes playlists to facilitate this major re-arrangement, makes any calculation of MB/s transfer rate irrelevant as obviously much CPU time would need to be used for this re-arrangement. Nevertheless, the comparison of the generation/transfer time needed was impressive (USB 2 stick almost needed 3 times as much time), even though the SD drive is connected to a USB 2 host. As stated the "read" speed of CUE is a total unknown. (*) Given the SD drive in CUE is connected together with 2 USB drives from the same physical unit in the center console to CUE, I would assume the "CUE host" supports the same read speed. Yet given the large totally unexpected difference in write speed between those two devices, hopefully the read speed will also be beneficial in favor of this particular SD card to speed up the constant indexing.
    This of course does confirm again that CUE can handle a 64GB SDXC UHS-1 card as per this thread's question, which information is still withheld by GM (*) (if formatted per requirements for USB and SD cards which has been documented by GM). (*) Come on GM, get with it! Why do we users have to test such and report it for the benefit of other uses on this forum but potentially be out of funds if a purchased device for use on CUE doesn't work? And I assume most users are not reading this forum and are in the dark. (Even the CUE expert who recently updated my CUE system, did not have such basic technical information either).

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Well, the good news for you Mac owners out there is that if you format your 64GB USB stick with the HFS+ filesystem (default Mac), IT WORKS. I just assumed it woudn't be able to read HFS+, but indeed it does. Next test will be my 64GB SD Card with HFS+.

Edit/Update: Yup no problem with a 64GB SD Card (Class 10 in this case as well!). Just format it with your Mac (use Master Boot Record Type, but use Mac Journaling filesystem, don't use case sensitive, or encryption). Copy your /Volumes/.../iTunes Media/Music/ directory to your SD Card. (So you'll have /Volumes/mySDCard/Music for example..)

Export all of your playlists as xml, open withTextEdit (or Xcode if you're so cool) and find/replace:

Find: /Volumes/<your particular path to..>/iTunes Media/Music/ and replace
    ReplaceAll with: /Music/

Bonus points for running a sed script from a terminal and posting your command line here.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by CDN XTS View Post
    UPDATE: Just received my new 64GB SD card (SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 card) - which has a theoretical write/read speed of 90/95 MB/s respectively - based on the capability of the HOST device, which, as to CUE has unfortunately never been revealed by GM (*). As to my PC, my multi SD drive is connected to the USB 2 host device, so I didn't expect a faster write speed than to my USB 2 stick. Was I ever wrong!!!. I reformatted both the USB 2 stick (a 32 GB Verbatim Store N Go) and SD card, from exFat with a 128 kilobyte allocation unit size to NTFS with a 64 kilobyte allocation unit size (largest available on NTSF). Using for this test doubleTwist to transfer 3993 songs (of over 4,000 in iTunes based on 4 selected playlists) took 44 minutes for the SD card but 123 minutes for the USB 2 stick. Generated information on both devices was identical including a byte by byte comparison of those 4 playlists. Of course given doubleTwist re-generates the total layout of iTunes by Artists as previously posted on May 22nd http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...solutions.html and the generation of well over thousand of additional folders and of course having to totally re-generate the iTunes playlists to facilitate this major re-arrangement, makes any calculation of MB/s transfer rate irrelevant as obviously much CPU time would need to be used for this re-arrangement. Nevertheless, the comparison of the generation/transfer time needed was impressive (USB 2 stick almost needed 3 times as much time), even though the SD drive is connected to a USB 2 host. As stated the "read" speed of CUE is a total unknown. (*) Given the SD drive in CUE is connected together with 2 USB drives from the same physical unit in the center console to CUE, I would assume the "CUE host" supports the same read speed. Yet given the large totally unexpected difference in write speed between those two devices, hopefully the read speed will also be beneficial in favor of this particular SD card to speed up the constant indexing.
    This of course does confirm again that CUE can handle a 64GB SDXC UHS-1 card as per this thread's question, which information is still withheld by GM (*) (if formatted per requirements for USB and SD cards which has been documented by GM). (*) Come on GM, get with it! Why do we users have to test such and report it for the benefit of other uses on this forum but potentially be out of funds if a purchased device for use on CUE doesn't work? And I assume most users are not reading this forum and are in the dark. (Even the CUE expert who recently updated my CUE system, did not have such basic technical information either).
    I noted something similiar a few months back, I download top gear UK and play it either on my PS3 or Panasonic Plasma, had been using a USB 2.0 stick for this for a while. I decided one day to pep up my computers by using readyboost and went to Fry's and bought 3 32gb USB 3.0 sticks one for my work desktop readyboost, one for my home desktop readyboost, and one for Top Gear. What a dramatic increase in speed (top gear stick) vs my old stick, my home machine does not have usb3.0 but it seems that usb3.0 sticks allow you to access the maximum capability of your host usb2.0 controller. I'm guessing that is what you experienced with the SDXC card, i've yet to try this new stick in CUE though.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    I noted something similiar a few months back, I download top gear UK and play it either on my PS3 or Panasonic Plasma, had been using a USB 2.0 stick for this for a while. I decided one day to pep up my computers by using readyboost and went to Fry's and bought 3 32gb USB 3.0 sticks one for my work desktop readyboost, one for my home desktop readyboost, and one for Top Gear. What a dramatic increase in speed (top gear stick) vs my old stick, my home machine does not have usb3.0 but it seems that usb3.0 sticks allow you to access the maximum capability of your host usb2.0 controller. I'm guessing that is what you experienced with the SDXC card, i've yet to try this new stick in CUE though.
    You are correct as to USB 3 v/s 2 stick in a USB 2 port. Based on test information on the internet using various brands of sticks and PC system, all USB3 sticks in a USB 2 port were somewhat faster than USB 2 sticks in a USB 2 port, but rather minor to the vast increase in speed when using a USB 3 stick in a USB 3 port. And we still don't know what kind of port CUE has.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.