94 4.9 A/C belt bypass
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, 94 4.9 A/C belt bypass in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I used a shorter belt to bypass the siezed A/C compressor. Belt still applies enough pressure to water pump pulley ...
    ratboy75024 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Cadillac Deville

94 4.9 A/C belt bypass

I used a shorter belt to bypass the siezed A/C compressor. Belt still applies enough pressure to water pump pulley to spin it. I followed suggestions here, measuring belt length around the pulleys then getting a belt that length.

Used a 62 inch (1.6m) belt (Duralast 620k6). Will follow up if this turns out badly. Such as over heating or causing other damage.

[IMG][/IMG]
    SALVATORE and cadi_mmoore like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadiJeff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1981 CoupeDeville, 2 1990 Eldorados, 1994ETC ,1992STS

Re: 94 4.9 A/C belt bypass

I did something similar a few years ago w/ my old 88 seville, I never had a problem with it.

macjr82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'm facing this with my 95 deville right now. In fact, this is the reason I stumbled upon this site. I'm going to head out to pep boys and try this tight now.

I just did it and it works like a charm. the only thing is mines is a 95 and I used a duralast 625k6

rockenstein6977 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 cadilliac Sedan Deville

Talking Re: 94 4.9 A/C belt bypass

Thank it work on my 91 Cadaillac Sedan Devlle But it was tough to get on i used the Duralast 620k6 Only cost $18.00 Thanks again ya saved me

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

I will try this if my crankshaft ever fails.

Ghost C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special

So, any noticed downsides on doing this yet? I removed every other piece of my A/C system, just been waiting to shitcan the compressor itself until I figured out whether or not I could pull this off...

No A/C. That's about it so far. :P

95_cadillac_deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just did this with my 95 Deville and it works like a charm. It took me less then 10 minutes to remove belt and replace it with a duralast 625k6 . Thank you for your help guys

martinf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 deville

You guys are the best! I just bought a 62" from Checkers and now my '92 is drive-able again! My A/C pulley bearing is shot, and the regular belt was allowing this part to scrape against the engine block. Not very re-assuring to watch sparks flying(!!) My first solution was to drive with the A/C set to 65F and keep the windows down (seemed to restrict the pulley) - all the way to the A/C mechanic. Now I can wait a few weeks and still drive the car!

Thanks again for an outstanding website!

_Regards,

Martin

detra is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just did this on my 90 seville 4.5. Needed a 79 1/2 inch belt, but worked like a charm for me.

dcartwright2006 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 deville

I put this belt bypass on my car ( 94 deville 4.9 ) But it seems to be rubbing the water pump housing will this hurt anything?

brettshouse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville (4.9 4dr touring)

FYI...I did this on my 91 deville 4.9. I was concerned because of the last post in regards to the belt rubbing...Well I did the short belt as listed above..it worked great but I checked on it after a few drives and the belts was peeling apart from the side that was rubbing on the water pump housing. So I just got back from the shop getting the AC Clutch replaced which was my problem.

strat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 DeVille

Did this today on my 1994 Sedan DeVille. Used a 63" belt , but a 5 width rather than a 6 so it wouldn't rub the water pump housing. I couldn't find a 62" 5 width belt so a 630K5 was the belt I used. It is still in the tensioner's acceptable range, but I will keep an eye on it. I have a noisy a/c clutch bearing, and I'd rather not get stuck somewhere on the side of the road when it finally siezes up and shreds my belt. A/C still was blowing ice cold, but making noise when the clutch wasn't engaged. It was a time bomb. Now I have a little time to figure out what to do next...replace the clutch bearing, or get a whole new compressor. 1994 Deville w/ 90k orig miles.

cadi_mmoore is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L

Thumbs up Re: 94 4.9 A/C belt bypass

Quote Originally Posted by ratboy75024 View Post
    I used a shorter belt to bypass the siezed A/C compressor. Belt still applies enough pressure to water pump pulley to spin it. I followed suggestions here, measuring belt length around the pulleys then getting a belt that length.

Used a 62 inch (1.6m) belt (Duralast 620k6). Will follow up if this turns out badly. Such as over heating or causing other damage.

Thank you for posting this invaluable information!

I own a 1994 Cadillac DeVille, (4.9-Liter) and had my compressor bearing go which seized the compressor pulley. In short order, my Serpentine belt snapped due to friction and wear and was dead in the water. Initial mechanic estimates were looking at substantial repair costs, (hundreds to over one thousand dollars) to replace at minimum, the compressor bearing and at worst, warrantee components; full compressor, condenser, orifice, return valves, system flush, etc.

Upon finding this post, I spent $23.75 at O'Reilly's on a 13/16in x 62-5/8in Gates belt, (Part #6PK1577) and 10-minutes later was back on the road, (albeit without air conditioning)!!

Just wanted to post a note of confidence to this thread should you find yourself in this situation.

Thank you, THANK YOU again for posting this valuable workaround!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.