CV axle Halfshaft replacement - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, CV axle Halfshaft replacement in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; It would be helpful if you could list the manufacturer of the ball joint separator tool that you used and ...
    ot1
    ot1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: CV axle Halfshaft replacement

It would be helpful if you could list the manufacturer of the ball joint separator tool that you used and the part number.

ot1

Smile Re: CV axle Halfshaft replacement

@domino thank you for your great help!

My application was for a 2002 Seville STS, driver side.

Some additional notes that others may find useful.

After removing the 3 bolts that secure the hub to the knuckle, I used a 5 ton 3 arm puller to press the splined shaft nearly all the way out of the hub, then used a slide hammer and flange to pull the hub from the knuckle, it was a very tight fit.

Disconnect the upper side of sensor control rod sing a 10mm open end wrench. It is not necessary to remove the link pin from the sway bar completely, just run the upper nut to the top of the link pin threads. I hung the caliper from the coil spring with a piece of electrical wire.

The ball joint tool in the pictures is an OTC 6297, it can also be found in a set OTC 6295 for $95 dollars from a major tool supplier on the web. Grainger also carries the tools in stock if you can't wait, as none of my local auto parts chains carried the tools in stock.
    IT IS CRITICAL that the steering wheel be turn all the way to lock left otherwise the tool will not fit into place. I separated the tool halves and the lower part slipped under the ball joint boot with ease so it won't pinch the boot during removal, this made it easier than placing the assembled tool into position. If you remove the shaft from the hub first there is plenty of clearance for the upper half of the tool to fit over the ball joint stud properly so it doesn't need to be grooved or modified in any way. The tool works great once you know how to position it to the front of the ball joint, study the picture carefully.

CV joint puller tool OTC 7509 $55 comes with a slide hammer or it is available as only the foot OTC 7507. Unscrew the slide hammer rod before attempting to position the foot. Position the foot to the rear of the tulip then screw in the hammer rod. I was only able to seat the foot partially under the tulip but I appied a tap or two, and it gave me more clearance to seat the tool all the way behind the tulip.
    Neither of the OTC tools required modification and both worked perfectly as is. I greased the new spline too before inserting into the transmission.

Happy Holidays to All !

ot1

I forgot to mention the sound the vehicle was making. A very low pitched grinding whirring sound, possible from the left side. And bringing the car up to 40 mph the sound was quite pronounced. I made aggressive turns at speed to see if the sound changed and it did not. Shifting the vehicle into neutral while at 40 mph, to let the RPM drop to idle, the sound maintained with the vehicle speed and not the engine RPM. As the speed decreased I could feel a vibration that felt like one flattened or warped ball bearing, until the vehicle came to rest. Maybe even a defective tire, they were rebalanced and rotated, driven for a week, The sound was getting more pronounced. Opened up the tranny since the fluid was rather burnt smelling and orangey brown. No signs of anything seriously wrong, very minute metal on the magnet. Did a full drain of the tranny and pumped out the torque converter and radiator, a full 100% fluid exchange. I suspect the previous fluid change done by the dealer was only half done, because I measured the quantity when I performed the work. Just draining the pan still leaves about 50% (a little over 7 quarts) of the fluid still held in the sump (which holds about a quart) and the radiator and the torque converter, this coinsides with the low mileage obtained 17k when the fluid looked burnt. After the tranny job, the sound remained. The sound could not be heard from outside the vehicle when placed on jack stands and the vehicle speed held at various speeds. After removing the hub, I felt no grinding in the bearings, but replaced it anyway. I also replaced the entire half-shaft at the same time, and the noise disappeared.

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

Terrifiic write-up Domino. Great work! Much better than trying to decipher the hieroglyphics at AllData (though AllData is nice).

Very helpful.

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Nice tech tip write up... I replaced the half shaft on my 02 Deville this morning. I was able to borrow the 34 mm socket, torque wrench, slide hammer, and axle removal foot from Autozone under the loan a tool program. I ended up not disconnecting the ball joint and followed the method in the video below posted by a fellow forum member.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.