Opera Lamp R&D
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Opera Lamp R&D in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Just after a couple of weeks of owning the car, one of my lamps decided to give up its ghost. ...
    MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

Opera Lamp R&D

Just after a couple of weeks of owning the car, one of my lamps decided to give up its ghost. Instead of going to a dealer and paying an insane price for a little bulb, I wanted to see what I could find at the local Radio Shack.
    First, get a putty knife and slide it in along side the lens.
    Picture 001.jpg
    Now shimmy the knife up and down until the lens starts to pull away from the bezel. DO NOT PRESS INWARDS. These lenses are as brittle as egg shells, and you will end up with this:
    Picture 002.jpg
    Purchase something like this from your local Radio Shack, make sure it is rated for 12 volts.
    Picture 003.jpg
    Clip the brown lead from the housing, and solder the red lead on the bulb to it, then solder the black lead to the ground. Sorry I'm not the most artful with soldering iron. Tape off the red or melt a rubber shroud over top of it.
    Picture 005.jpg
    Afterwards, I just snapped the old bulb housing off, and then placed the new bulb in about the same location, then popped the lens back into place.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

Re: Opera Lamp R&D

At night, the lights look as near as dammit to being equal, not bad for a $4 fix.
    Picture 006.jpg
    That's the factory
    Picture 007.jpg
    That's the resto. It looks marginally dimmer only because my porch light was shining on that side of the car, so my camera dimmed the exposure; you can see some of my trim in this pic. But in complete darkness they look 99% identical. I'm thinking of putting an extra bulb or two in maybe to make them brighter, make it look like the whole lens is lit up instead of the tiny bulbs.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Cool! Great writeup, and you probably saved an easy $50-60 by not going to the dealer.

Steeltag is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I concur, great write up, thanks from us all!

SilverCoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 SDV (199K), 95 FWB Blk on Blk. (113K) 98 ETC (173K)

I found out that the stock bulb is a no.74, little bulb at any autoparts stores. Also on of my opera lts. did not work. Finding out that the it wasnt grounding. I undid the phillips screw that holds on the wire and cleaned/sanded the little metal tang, along with the screw hole. One may have to use a new screw, if corroded enough to not make a ground or rusted enough to not go in snug. Bam now they both work...

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6

Now let's do this with CCFL.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.