Cadillac Owners Forum banner

P0741 and state inspection

16K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Kevin Jaskulski 
#1 ·
If your state/county has emissions inspection that relies on the OBDII and dyno method read this. My car has a faulty TCC and it throws the P0741 code. You will fail inspection if your car has any PCM codes. The way to combat this without having your car repaired (very expensive) is as follows. First, through the DIC, clear the codes. Do not go to inspection at this time as your emissions system will not be able to be read by the inspectors computer and you will fail. Drive the car for a week or two only in third gear. The P0741 only sets if yoiu are in overdrive and get above 41 mph. After your week or so of driving your systems will be "ready". Go back to inspection, and you should be golden. I checked for the code after every drive and it never appeared.

Don

#11 ·
Awesome post bud! I have to go through my inspection soon and I wasnt sure what to do? Is it worth fixing the tcc and will it do any damage if I dont? I know the tranny has to come out to do it, so I mind as well put the head bolt kit in it when thetime comes. Let me know what you guys think about how long I can go with a bad tcc? thanks

#18 ·
I would like to amend my initial post. My car started throwing code P0741 about 4 years and 40,000 miles ago. It would only set if I was in OD and went over 41 mph. The code is now setting if I drive in 3rd. I am getting ready to go through inspection and was going thru my ritual.

So at some point if you do not get your trans repaired the code will begin setting in 3rd which will make my initial post invalid. Sorry for that folks I didn't know

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.