Northstar Water Pump Replacment Steps - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Northstar Water Pump Replacment Steps in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Thank you for the great write up on changing the water pump. I just finished in my 2004 Seville, took ...
    seville04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville

Re: Northstar Water Pump Replacment Steps

Thank you for the great write up on changing the water pump. I just finished in my 2004 Seville, took 3 hours, but that included lunch, two trips to the auto parts store and a half hour of trying to unseat the pump while turning it counter clockwise, Doh! Thanks again for the instructions, Advance and Autozone did not loan the tool so I bought one from Advance for $30, the water pump was $45 and the seal was $4.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I wonder if a note should be made about changing the pump housing/cover to update to the new style with that awesome picture that shows the two styles

and also it should be noted that the thermostat housing gasket also has to be changed to the thicker style (from #3522676 to #12574478) when upgrading to the new pump housing/cover

or maybe just find a way to merge this thread and this one: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...p-removal.html
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

New w/p housing cover and gasket - designed to stop delayed leaks.

The Frugie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '95 Eldorado

I wanna thank ipncjh1 and everyone who has contributed to this thread. It's been a great help in replacing my water pump. I've run into a hangup though. I can't get the new w/p on. It took me the longest to figure out the correct orientation (it's 1 o'clock, not 7 o'clock like the ACDelco instructions said). But even after I figured that out I still couldn't screw on the new pump and ended up bending the tangs.

So I bought another w/p and tried screwing it on without the o-ring. Finally it fit. But I can't leave it like that. So what should I do, get a thinner o-ring, use a razor or something to scrape off part of the o-ring I have? Has anyone else run into this problem?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Did you lube the O-ring with raw coolant ???? - and it MUST be installed as-is - no scraping or resizing is possible or desired......... and did all the original ring come out of the water pump housing ?

The Frugie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '95 Eldorado

I finally got it in. It turned out some of the old o-ring was still on there. My aunt and her husband were visiting and he took a look at it. The first thing he asked for was a flat head screwdriver. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I scraped off as much as I could using a razor, steel wool, and even my finger nail. But the screwdriver ended up being perfect for the job.

GeorgeT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille
    I'm having a BEAR of a time getting the 4th, bottom right hand bolt out of the WP cover. There's black covered wire or something impeding the socket going on straight. Any suggestions? 98 DeVille. Thank you!

Mojo88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 White Diamond DeVille 'Base'

Just did mine. Surprisingly easy. The special tool worked like a charm. The hardest part was cleaning the o-ring area, and also cleaning the housing gasket area, then replacing both seals.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.