Northstar Water Pump Replacment Steps - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Northstar Water Pump Replacment Steps in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Thanks got it out and water pump back in. Trying to figure this tensioner out now....
    99esteees is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Northstar Water Pump Replacment Steps

Thanks got it out and water pump back in. Trying to figure this tensioner out now.

Quote Originally Posted by 99esteees View Post
    Thanks got it out and water pump back in. Trying to figure this tensioner out now.
    Got it all back together and ready to go, pending the new upper hose and coolant in the morning. Wish me the best.

Drparj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac Seville SLS

Ok I just got done doing a full flush on the coolant and then got it all back together. I actually used one of those $10 flush kits you can get anywhere. They work great and hurt nothing, but they do allow the system to clean out most everything. I remove the thermostat and put back together without one. I then open rediator drain and turn hose on to back flush coupler and then discconnect upper hose and turn motor on. Old fluid will flow out top hose and you run about for 10 minutes and you will see nice clear fluid after that. Then I take coupler off and let motor run for about 30 20 seconds to help push leftover water through motor. Then put everything back together and add bars leak golden seal and dex cool 50/50 and presto nice clean system and no problems ever.

I went to pour the coolant in this morning and it all leaked back out. I put in 2 quarts. It feels to be coming from the water pump area, but I don't know what could have gone wrong? I put in a new cover gasket and a new o ring. It's worse than it was before.

Did you make sure to use a torque wrench to tighten everything back up to specs and tighten back and forth evenly on the bolts. Does it look to be coming from gasket area or hose area? Worst case if nothing works try a little bit of liquid gasket to help the water pump gasket make a better seal

Pretty sure it's coming from the crossover area near the block. I can't get to a few bolts, so I guess i'm putting it back together and calling the dealer to get a price quote in the morning. Ughh

take it apart look to see if the gasket is messed up and try some liquid gasket on the oem gasket and reinstall. Liquid gasket usually will fill the irregularities. Dealer will charge you $100-$200 most likely to fix with no parts, but sure its something simple.

STSJim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Big thanks to the OP and everyone else that chimed in! I was able to do this repair in my driveway and saved about $400!!! Anyone considering a DIY water pump replacement... go for it!

bikesandcars is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the instructions. One thing I'll ad is to use an impact wrench on the removal tool.

My water pump was being very stubborn, I had a 3 foot pipe on my removal tool and it wouldn't budge, plus after cranking on it my removal tool started to clip cock-eyed.

Then I got out my chisel and started to hammer the one tab I could get to, that just mashed the metal, I thought I was really in trouble.

As a last resort I got out my impact wrench. With my full weight pushing the impact wrench tight against the housing (straight) and on max torque, it took about 20 seconds of impacting to get it off... which is about an eternity in impact-wrench land.

My suggestion, try the breaker bar first, but if that doesn't work go right to the impact wrench. It didn't damage the tool, and it probably would have come off easier if I hadn't buggered the one tab with my chisel. If I ever have to do one of these again I'm going right to impact.

DBC
    DBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS

Actually I just was working on my water pump on a 94 4.6 engine. My pump was installed so tightly and or corroded in there that one or two of the slots on the pump started wearing off so the removal tool tabs were just sliding off! I finally got my impact wrench in there and the hammering action of the wrench was enough to carefully pop the tangs of the pump out from under the retaining tabs of the housing. That was really annoying.

DBC
    DBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS

Also, is there really an orientation for the one tang on the pump that does not look like the others? I just noticed that it looks like a coolant pass through hole is on the pump housing and if you put the unusual tang at the 7:00 O'clock orientation that the manual says to then that pass through hole is straight up and down. Which would seem to make sure that gravitationally the cooling fluid would run through that hole better.

Well my real question is how do you know that you have the unit seated all the way?

samm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS

I am wondering the orientation of the water pump as well. It came out with a small (12") ratchet easy enough, a few taps on the ratchet got it out. However, I cannot get it back in - even with a 24" breaker. I don't want to take an impact to it until I know its in the correct orientation. I will try tab w/o mini tab in 7:00 position and report back.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

DO NOT use an impact to install it.

2002 Devile DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS

Has anyone came up with an answer to the orientation of the water pump tabs for installation?

Brian

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Just take note of the tab positions of the old one you remove.
    eldorado_97 and eldorado_97 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.