How to Shut off DRLs (and add digital coolant temp and speedo in the dic)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How to Shut off DRLs (and add digital coolant temp and speedo in the dic) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Mods Please STICKY!!!! NOTES THIS ONLY WORKS FOR THE FOLLOWING MODELS!!! 96-02 Eldorado, ETC, ESC 96-97 Seville, STS, SLS 96-99 ...
    CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

How to Shut off DRLs (and add digital coolant temp and speedo in the dic)

Mods Please STICKY!!!!
    NOTES
    THIS ONLY WORKS FOR THE FOLLOWING MODELS!!!
    96-02 Eldorado, ETC, ESC
    96-97 Seville, STS, SLS
    96-99 Deville, Concourse, DeElegance

~~~~~TO ADD COOLANT AND MPH DIC MESSAGE~~~~~
    1) Press the OFF and PASS WARMER (referred to from here as WARMER) buttons simultaneously to enter diagnostic mode.

2) Let the system read any codes it has stored. You will ultimately be presented with "PCM?". You will answer with the fan speed control button. UP = yes and DOWN = no.

3) Press DOWN until you are presented with "IPC?". On mine, it's the very next prompt. When you get to the "IPC?" prompt, press UP to enter the IPC area (Instrument Panel Cluster).

4) Press DOWN until you are presented with "IPC OVERRIDE?". Press UP to enter the override area.

5) Scroll down (with the DOWN button) until you get to Option E. Wait a second or two, and the override value will appear to the right where the TRIP ODOMETER normally reads. Yours will probably read "43". That's what mine read when I first did this.

Below are the Option E values:

- Coolant Temp message (64)
    - Battery Volts message (32)
    - Engine RPM message (16)
    - Avg Mph message (8)
    - Mph message (4)
    - Fuel Used message (2)
    - Inst Mpg message (1)

The stock displays (for analog E/K displays) are Battery Volts, Avg Mph, Fuel Used, and Inst Mpg, for a total value of "43".

6) Use the WARMER button to increment the value of the override. In this case, we want to add Coolant Temp, so we're going to add "64" to "43", or "107". Press the WARMER button repeatedly to increment the value from "43" to "107".

If you make a mistake, you can decrement the value by pressing the COOLER button.

7) To permanently save the new value, hold the FRONT DEFROST and the A/C buttons simultaneously until the new override value flashes once.

8) You're done. Press OFF repeatedly to "back out" of the diagnostic system. You'll probably need to press OFF 5 or 6 times to get out of the deep "menu structure" you're in now.

Now, the coolant temp (in units specified) should be one "stop" along the revolving door we call the DIC. If you are in metric units, the coolant temp will read in *C. If you are in standard units, it'll read in *F.

~~~~~TO SHUT OFF DRLS~~~~~

1-4 FOLLOW ABOVE DIRECTIONS!!!

5) Scroll down (with the DOWN button) until you get to Option C. Wait a second or two, and the override value will appear to the right where the TRIP ODOMETER normally reads.

Below are the Option C values:

IPS03 Option C
    - RSS installed (128)
    -Premium Unleaded Fuel Only -
    -Graphic supression (digital) (64)
    -Daytime running lamps enabled (32)
    -Cellular Telephone Installed (16)
    -BTSI message suppression (4)
    -Options not set (2)
    -FUEL LEVEL LOW message suppresion (1)

6) Use the COOLER button to decrease the value of the override. In this case, we want to remove the DRLs so subtract your number by 32

If you make a mistake, you can decrement the value by pressing the WARMER button.

7) To permanently save the new value, hold the FRONT DEFROST and the A/C buttons simultaneously until the new override value flashes once.

8) You're done. Press OFF repeatedly to "back out" of the diagnostic system. You'll probably need to press OFF 5 or 6 times to get out of the deep "menu structure" you're in now.

NOTE!!!!
    in order for your drls to ACTUALLY BE OFF your twilight must be pushed all the way to the left and your fog lights (when applicable) must be off as well!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS
    ETC97

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: How to Shut off DRLs (and add digital coolant temp and speedo in the dic)

heres all the option values in the event anyone wants to play with them for any reason

IPS01 Option A
    -Universal Theft Deterrent enabled (8)
    -Personalization / Memory Installed (4)
    -Interior Purge enabled (1)

IPS02 OPtion B ( EXport Country)
    -Eropean Economic Community (EEC) (16)
    -Japan (8)
    -Saudi Arabia (4)
    -Canada (2)
    -Norway/ Sweden (1)

IPS03 Option C
    -RSS installed (128)
    -Premium Unleaded Fuel Only Graphic supression [DIGITAL ONLY] (64)
    -Daytime running lamps enabled (32)
    -Cellular Telephone Installed (16)
    -BTSI message suppression (4)
    -Options not set (2)
    -FUEL LEVEL LOW message suppresion (1)

IPS04 Option D (HVAC Options)
    -Afterblow enabled (128)
    -De-Ice Installed (64)
    -Timer Recirc enabled (16)
    -Dual Zone HVAC Installed (8)

Below are the Option E (DIC features)
    - Coolant Temp message (64)
    - Battery Volts message (32)
    - Engine RPM message [DIGITAL ONLY] (16)
    - Avg Mph message (8)
    - Mph message (4)
    - Fuel Used message (2)
    - Inst Mpg message (1)

I Have A Sticky
    Omg
    Yesssssssss!!!!!

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

Excellent info!!! Congrats.

digitalcaddie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '02 Escalade

I used the procedure to get the digital speedometer and coolant temp for a '97 SLS...it worked fine. I wonder why Cadillac didn't include those options in the factory setup?? I prolly won't ever use the speedometer feature, but I really like knowing exactly what temp the coolant is at. Nice post.

it wasnt really supposed to be for the Eldo and Seville
    this was on the Deville which had a digital speedo and no coolant gauge
    Its cheaper and easier to use the same programming and adjust it so they had those features on for the Deville by default and off on the Eldo and Seville

Barrister_07101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB 'Blue Devil' , 95 FWB 'Black Beauty'

...tech tips is not for questions, refer to the sticky - urbanski

diamond59 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS

I used the procedure to get the Shut off DRLS and it works fine. My problem is now I'm getting a message saying; "option not set."

Thank you.

promp3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

its much better to just remove the drl fuse when you set the ips to disable the drl's you loose the automatic headlight and twilight sentenel feature.
    on my 97 deville it was under the hood. its a red one what ever amp that is.

bbrewer5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by promp3 View Post
    its much better to just remove the drl fuse when you set the ips to disable the drl's you loose the automatic headlight and twilight sentenel feature.
    on my 97 deville it was under the hood. its a red one what ever amp that is.
    on my 97 eldo my twighlight/auto headlight function still works like its supposed to and i have turned my drl's off via DIC.

Talamant3z is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

ok i got the coolant temp added but how do i add the speedo ?

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

is there any way to get the Digital coolant temp to show up on the 2000 seville

C0RSA1R is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 ETC Black 90k miles

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSTS2003 View Post
    it wasnt really supposed to be for the Eldo and Seville
    this was on the Deville which had a digital speedo and no coolant gauge
    Its cheaper and easier to use the same programming and adjust it so they had those features on for the Deville by default and off on the Eldo and Seville
    I mentioned this before, but since this is more frequently visited than the other thread, I'll alos put the pics here. I have a 1998 Eldorado Touring Coupe, which did not originally come with a digital speedo or coolant temp gauge. Using the procedures outlined here, I got them both. Was going for the Tach too, but decided I would never need it.

Both work exactly as they should while driving, and it is really cool to see the exact temperature of the engine. The Speedo is obviously redundant, but I do like setting the cruise control a little high, so this let's me get exactly the margin over the speed limit that I'm looking for.

Chris Luongo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville

I'm having a small problem with this.

1996 Deville doesn't seem to have a button labeled A/C in the panel. I've tried pressing Front Defrost in together with various other buttons with no luck.

Exactly which two buttons should I be pressing together to save the new override value?

Chris Luongo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Luongo View Post
    I'm having a small problem with this.

1996 Deville doesn't seem to have a button labeled A/C in the panel. I've tried pressing Front Defrost in together with various other buttons with no luck.

Exactly which two buttons should I be pressing together to save the new override value?
    I figured out the answer to my own question.

The two buttons that need to be held in are the "front defrost" (NOT "defog") and the "AUTO/ECON" button.

They need to be held together for at least five seconds. Be sure not to release them until that number in the trip meter flashes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.