94 Water Pump Belt Fixed!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, 94 Water Pump Belt Fixed!!! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Moving the tensioner by hand was exactly all I needed to do. No breaker bar needed or any tool. Once ...
    hotrails is offline Cadillac Owners Member

94 Water Pump Belt Fixed!!!

Moving the tensioner by hand was exactly all I needed to do. No breaker bar needed or any tool. Once I moved it forward, I was able to slip the old belt off. I thought I would document the procedure and supply some photos to help someone else in the future.

1993, 1994 through ??? Water Pump Belt Removal and Replacement

1. Remove the 2-piece plastic cover that channels the spark plug wires. It has a smaller frontal piece you can remove to check the condition of your water pump belt. If you need to replace the belt, remove the plastic cover that goes over the center part of the engine to ending at the other cylinder bank.

2. Push the tensioner forward by hand. I pulled mine back standing over the left front fender so I could get good leverage. I slipped the belt off the tensioner wheel.

3. To completely remove the belt, you must remove the two bolts that hold the tensioner bracket to the water pump. Otherwise you cannot get the old belt off. See the pictures. These take a 10mm socket and were easy to remove.

4. Remove the tensioner assembly bracket (refer to picture of me holding it in my hand). You can now slide the old belt around the open end of the water pump and pull it up from the front where the tensioner and it's bracket were.

5. Slide the new belt on and line it up on the bottom pulley of the water pump and the top pulley that is driven from the camshaft.

6. Reinstall the tensioner assembly bracket to the water pump. Install the two bolts. Be careful not to torque too hard on these. Just enough so they are tight. Don't overtighten them.

7. Once the tensioner bracket is bolted into place on the water pump, pull the spring loaded tensioner forward again and slide the new belt into place on the tensioner wheel.

Good luck. Hopefully this can help someone else in the future.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: 94 Water Pump Belt Fixed!!!

Good job!

You should put this in the tech tips section!

hotrails is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How do I put it in the tech tips section? I haven't submitted anything there before but would like to so it would help someone else out. Ranger, can you advise on how to post to tech tips?? Or where I can find the instructions?

jackswe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS 1994

I change my waterpump belt few days ago. Much thanks to the pictures in this post. Especially that you name wich tools size required (10 mm bolt size)
    many forget to write out that, wich result that you know how to do - but don't have the right tool.

Gearheaad43 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Polo Green Cadillac Seville STS

Is this the same for 96-97 Northstars?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.