Front end clunk noise fix - easy.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Front end clunk noise fix - easy. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey I got lucky on the dreaded front end clunk / noise problem. My top strut nut was loose. Pull ...
    Camuchi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville Concours

Talking Front end clunk noise fix - easy.

Hey I got lucky on the dreaded front end clunk / noise problem.

My top strut nut was loose. Pull the rubber cover off of the top strut mount. Under is a big nut on the top of your strut rod, if there is a shiny area around the circumference of the nut on the washer it is loose! Bounce the car while watching the nut / stud assembly I could see the clearance in mine.
    You do need a big Torx socket (T-50) I think to fix - I had one designed for a 3/8 socket , you will also need a big socket for the nut 26 or 27 mm
    I used an 11/16 (guessing at size again-pitiful memory) because I did not have a metric that big.

Anyway put the big socket on the nut and hold it with vice grips from the side. Then insert the T-50 torx bit through the opening on the big socket and turn ratchet COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (as if you were loosening it) this causes the strut rod to rotate up into the nut and tighten itself.
    Remove tools bounce and observe- if loose tighten more.

Could also likely perform with an impact wrench on nut itself -i did not try that method.

TA-DA clunk gone- retire to garage fridge for beverage reward of choice!

I hope someone else can get lucky with this fix. -Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Re: Front end clunk noise fix - easy.

Bear in mind that im far from being a mechanic. And certainally dont want to rain on your parade. But Im wondering bout something.
    Is it possible that it being loose like that is the result of something else that has previously failed ?

Just doesnt seem right that something like that would just come loose.
    Sure you may have gotten lucky. But must be a reason why it came loose ?? Maybe ???
    And if that is the case, then should find out what to do so that it wont come loose again.

Just wonderin is all

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.