Re: heater core replacemant - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Re: heater core replacemant in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; How hard is it to replace the hoses if there is a hole in them? Mine is leaking outside the ...
    dramsey66208 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Divile

Re: heater core replacemant

How hard is it to replace the hoses if there is a hole in them? Mine is leaking outside the firewall and inside the cabin. I haven't taken it apart yet, but wanted to know incase i need to replace the hose.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Post your questions in the Deville forum. This forum is for Tech "TIPS". You are not as likely to get help here.

spotty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Concours, 05 DHS

Many thanks for your detailed instructions, krimson_cardnal. My heater core blew while my 96 deville was in the middle of a smog test. There was sure a lot of "smog" in the cabin! I had to have it towed home. The plastic end with the hose fittings failed.

New heater core is a Spectra-Premium from Pep Boys. It is all-aluminum, so I hope it will hold up better than the original core.

Getting the hose clamps off was much easier after I got flexible hose clamp pliers (Astro Pneumatic 9409A via Amazon). The "OEM" brand tool from Pep Boys was not able to close the jaws enough to open the clamps so I had to return it.

The vacuum source from the firewall to the A/C programmer has a fitting halfway along its length. I twisted and pulled the connector apart and that enabled me to get the programmer completely out of the way toward the centerline of the car.

Just a reminder to be careful not to force the white control arm of the heat servo on the top right of the heater box (i.e., what the heat control rod connects to). If you force it to rotate, you can break the plastic gears inside the servo unit. A guy who did some A/C work for me a few years ago tried that and I had to do my own repairs after he finished.

Here are pictures. It seems I have just about reached my upload size limit, so if some kind moderator is able/willing to bump it up I'd be grateful :-)

The hose clamp tool

Looking into the glove box

The airbag connector

Remove these three torx (T15) screws on the left

Remove these three T15 screws on the right

The glovebox opening with the glovebox out of the way to the left

Location of the 7mm A/C programmer screw

The top of the heater core box

The A/C programmer removed

Bottom view of the heater core box
    Attached Images

LOULUVSLORR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 SEDAN DEVILLE 4.9 liter

you have to do that for the blower motor.

jeffreym16 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 eldorado

goin to give it the ol college try on my mothers 96 eldorado this week its this or pay those shop rates ouch !!!!! thanks 4 the info

postermmxvicom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Deville 4.6L

Thanks for the great thread! Well, I am a slow worker. I got it done over two days. I worked slowly with plenty of distractions. Maybe it was four hours of work? Maybe six? (Maybe more - I am a real snail with lots of distractions).

I want to add a few things. The parts store didn't have an OEM heater core. The replacement they sold worked well. However, the bracket was too large and kept the heater box from closing on with the heater core in it. I got around this by using a hack saw to cut away a little of the middle of the bracket where the box was hitting it. (I only need to cut a thin slice out of it - cutting a slice half as thick as a deck of cards would be more than enough.) The hoses went on very easy. I was expecting a struggle, but the went right on and tightened up good. It also did not come with new air seals.

I removed all the electrical connectors to the glove box. And I removed all the electrical connectors and the vacuum lines (they all come off together as one unit) from the A/C programmer with no trouble. (Murphy stayed away).

The heater box and heater core mounting bracket were secured with 5.5mm screw nuts.

My heater core failed exactly like your did. The replacement was all metal.

All in all, if a newbie like me can get this done - pretty much anyone can. Thanks for the great write up

knu5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville96

Great thread! Had exactly the same problem as topicstarter: cracked plastic insert in the heater core. Fixed it in two hours including time to buy the part.

n.larson49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 seville sls

Would a blown head gasket cause a heater core to go bad?

randy.e86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Deville Concours / 97 Eldorado base

Thanks a bunch to the OP for saving me time and money! Could have done without the shoe full of super hot coolant and 3rd degree burns but stuff happens.
    Got it replaced in about 2 hours (Keep in mind im in gimp mode lol)

Anytime i have a problem, this is the first place i check and i always find an answer. Now registered and plan on spending a lot more time here. So much to learn!
    Big thanks to the CF!!!

rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Does this process go similarly to a 95 Eldorado?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Should be similar.

interceptorghost01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 cadillac deville

Awesome write up. Worked perfect for my 97 Deville. Except on the 97 there is also a bottom air door arm you have to unsnap on the heater box. I had it knocked out in roughly two hours. But I smoked a bunch of cigarettes and took my merry time. Excellent information source.

dusty256 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 sedan deville

Wow thanks for this write up. Had to replace mine today and this made the job so much easier

Geodude22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado

Best write up and most helpful pics I ever seen. FSM was vague. Took me under an hour to remove core from my 99 Eldorado. Much thanks to the original poster. I learned lot about Caddy Care 101 from this awesome site. I hope to contribute where I can as I explore my own pitfalls of a Caddy North****.

JimBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville SLS

krimson_cardnal Just want to say Thank You for the nice write up on how to do this. I am doing it on my 96 Seville SLS now. If not for this post not sure I would have wanted to mess with it. So thank you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.