DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Newbie here. Thanks for the great PDF - I just did this last night and used the cotter pin trick ...
    jtiversen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Re: DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf

Newbie here. Thanks for the great PDF - I just did this last night and used the cotter pin trick someone else suggested. Seems to be working fine.

Just one question - the first instruction in the PDF is "Make sure door is unlocked and then remove latch". Wasn't sure what that meant, but when I got to the point of removing the door panel, it turns out the lock (up/down thing) was still connected to a plastic thing underneath. I pulled a bit too hard and wound up breaking that plastic thing the lock up/down thing attaches to. Any suggestions on how I could have avoided that / where I could buy a new one?

Thanks!

Slowy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '03 Deville Sterling Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jtiversen View Post
    I pulled a bit too hard and wound up breaking that plastic thing the lock up/down thing attaches to. Any suggestions on how I could have avoided that?
    the first instruction in the PDF is "Make sure door is unlocked and then remove latch"
    i would say the easiest way to avoid breaking that piece would be to follow step #1 of the PDF that says to remove the latch.... lol

/ where I could buy a new one?
    junkyard?

jtiversen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

i would say the easiest way to avoid breaking that piece would be to follow step #1 of the PDF that says to remove the latch.... lol
    Thank you, o insightful one. However, as I mentioned, (a) I'm a newbie - I haven't done this before, and therefore (b) I wasn't sure what it meant by instructing me to remove the latch. I.e., what is the latch and how do you remove it?

The junkyard recommendation is also insightful, however what would be far more so would be a part number, for example. That seems like a fairly inexpensive part that wouldn't break the bank to buy from the dealer if there's no other option...

in the future, if you have a question about what something is on a write up, you should post a question. with the technology nowadays, most of us get email notifications right on our phones
    you are talking about the nice plastic thing that shows you that the door is locked or unlocked right?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

A dealer parts dept. will have exploded drawings in their computer so you can point it out to the parts guy.

deeteeess2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

Re: 2000 Deville Window Regulator Fix

The cotter pins are brilliant! Thank you ELI ICE. It works so well and is so simple that I am going to retrofit the three "working" regulators so I never have to worry about this part failing again. Good job!

tann3100 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Deville DHS

Well I replaced the RR regulator about a year ago and worked fine. Yesterday the same one failed again. Went to ace and bought two cotter pins and put them in and bingo it worked. The only thing I noticed is there is a little play in the window but other than that works good.

Thanks

vatalon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille DTS 2000

Question for the Thread? First step says to "remove latch". Can anyone tell me exactly how you do that? I notice that there's a little square tab on the latch. Do I just pry this open? Then what?

Nikko is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville

Hey, I just had two windows on my passenger side break within a week of each other. I would like to learn how to use the sheet metal to fix the window. I can't afford the real thing right now and have both windows up with a couple of pieces of tape each. Please send info on what and how to fix with the sheet metal. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vatalon View Post
    Question for the Thread? First step says to "remove latch". Can anyone tell me exactly how you do that? I notice that there's a little square tab on the latch. Do I just pry this open? Then what?
    small flat head screwdriver, pop that little part up and the door lock latch will come up.
    that little square just presses against the metal pole of the door lock mechanism to hold it in there

Klusie33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I just repaired my '04 DHS right rear window regulator with one cotter pin. It worked just great. There is no slack, the piece swaged on the cable is tight between the
    "down" stop and the cotter pin I just put in for the "lift" stop. By the way, I noticed as I was inspecting to determine what broke, I see that the "down" stop was plastic formed over metal, the part that broke was just plastic. Makes me wonder, in thinking back, if the plastic part that broke is in the regulator 180 degrees off. Hint-
    to align holes in the regulator with the place on the cable to insert the cotter pin, I removed the motor and opened a pliers to span the regulator drive gear and was able to rotate the drive gear clockwise or counter clockwise to allow me to insert the cotter pin in just the right place. This is the simplest and easiest repair, and no reason that it won't last, it is a "life time" repair....

Jamjohnson2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DeVille (Burgundy w/white top)

Thanks lowscola for the guide! Just fixed mine today. Didn't spend $180 though and only spent an hour doing it. The motor usually isn't the thing that fails. I purchased the regulator from ebay for $38 and just attached the motor onto it. I can't believe that the dealership charges $400+!!! That's ridiculous! Again...THANKS

mserickson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm hoping to try to cotter pin trick tonight...My back passenger window fell into the door frame on the way to work today - on the Interstate , and of course on the coldest day of the week so far
    I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

mserickson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi. My brother is going to help me attempt the cotter pin fix tonight on my rear passenger window. He was wondering if anyone knew what size cotter pins to use?

Thank you!!!

Bennie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville

Hey guys and gals. I'm new to the forum, and am the proud new owner of my first Cadillac. It's a 99 Deville, and even after only a weeks time I can say it is an incredible automobile.

I just recently experience a problem with the window, and after searching quite a bit on the subject this was the best place I saw fit to inquire of my issue.

The window was working fine for the last week, until last night when I rolled the window up, and when it came to the top It made a clicking sound like it was still trying to go up, but was not able to. I then rolled the window down (Dumb) to see if it was a one time thing, and when I tried to roll it up it wouldn't do anything. It does nothing. It makes no sound whatsoever. All of the other windows are fine and work as they are supposed to.

It seems as though the windows seem to be problematic, and I was hoping someone has had a similar issue, and is willing to offer their experience.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.