DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Has anyone else besides ELI ICE tried using the cotter pins? Has it worked okay? BTW, the write-up was fantastic. ...
    rmccague is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf

Has anyone else besides ELI ICE tried using the cotter pins? Has it worked okay?

BTW, the write-up was fantastic. Thanks IOWSCOLA!!!!

Slowy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '03 Deville Sterling Silver

the cotter pin thing would work ,but you'd have to take the slider off the track first (from what i remember) to get to the underside where the 'stopper' thing is on the cable. that looked a little hairy because its on there pretty tight and the clips look like they MAY break

Marco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Well, my diy repair on the pass door broke last week.
    I used what I thought to be a very sturdy u-bracket nade of thick aluminum.
    It did last for a year! lol
    I haven't actually removed the regulator yet so the break could be from something else, like the cable snapping.
    I think I'll go with steel this time round, if that was the weakest link that broke.
    My concern when installing the metal bracket was that the cable might chafe(sp) on the edge of the aluminum.
    The repair was free, just some time with my needle nose vise grips and my trusty dremel tool.

I'll update once I know what the cause for the failure was, maybe some pics too.

UPDATE: for grins, I checked rockauto for the price on the RF regulator.
    They sell the AC Delco units with motor for the front doors for $75! (2000 model)
    But for some reason the Rears are over $150 ea.

I might have to pull the trigger on that one.

mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

Dont pull trigger ebay sells them for as cheap as 30 bux highest ive seen has been about 80.
    I bought three so far...1 door left to break, and theyve lasted.

Southern DubVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It's been a while since I posted but anyhow my drivers and passengers windows have been broken for longer than I care to mention. Just found this tutorial and bought both regulators. My problem has been taking the damn door panel off, but from the other posts insight I think I will be fine. We shall see....

32million is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham, 2005 Deville

I gave the eli ice cotter pin fix a try yesterday on my front passenger door and so far it works well. It did not cost me a thing. I had the cotter pins in my toolbox for years and the repair took less than an hour. The only concern that I had was about the "pocket" size difference that the metal "ball" fits into. You can see the difference in his post. What I encountered so far was when I used the one-touch window up feature, the window went all the way up, paused for a second and went back down. I may have the window in slightly crooked or something? Until I can check it out I will just not use the one-touch feature. A big thanks to Eli for his suggestion.

Marco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Southern DubVille View Post
    It's been a while since I posted but anyhow my drivers and passengers windows have been broken for longer than I care to mention. Just found this tutorial and bought both regulators. My problem has been taking the damn door panel off, but from the other posts insight I think I will be fine. We shall see....
    The door panel on the Deville isn't too bad at all.
    We had a Town Car before the Caddy and it was 10X worse to remove and install. Crap plastic connectors that never went in straight, etc...

On the Caddy, it all comes off and goes back on as described.

patriciaann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 deville

I recently have this exact problem and would like to know how to fix with sheet metal. It seems foolish to spend a lot of money for a complete repair when the design is fall to begin with. Hope to hear from you soon!

tamehrlingrose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

Will this work for a 2003 Deville? I was driving home yesterday and the window just fell down. We found some discounted parts online but it sounds like removing the door panel could be tricky. The dealer wants $600 to repair and I just don't have it. Todays high is going to be 40 and we have heavy rain forecasted for the rest of the weekend.

Tammy

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

This section is for "TECH TIPS", not question. You won't get an answer here. Repost in the Deville forum.

Slowy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '03 Deville Sterling Silver

for the christmas tree clips... i used a flat metal stick and stuck it up through the bottom and slid them up. was MUCH easier for me to get the door panel off that way...

might also want to check the wires that come from the car to the door panel while your at it.
    i did my rear window and somehow the old decreppid wire broke.. save yourself a minute or two

flbmcman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DHS

Thumbs up Re: DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf

Quote Originally Posted by lowscola View Post
    There have been many complaints regarding window regulator failure for certain 2000+ Cadillac DeVilles. I have had all of mine fail one by one. The first was fixed at the dealer for ~$500.00. The second one I did myself for $180.00.

I've put together a how to in pdf format and can be downloaded at:

http://www.maddoxcomputersystems.com...dow_repair.pdf
    Just a word of THANKS for your trouble to create the above mentioned file. I had the driver's window pop over a year ago, and just this month, the passenger one. The driver's one was replaced by my mechanic, but I did this one today in less than 2 hours. I am no where near the mechanic that most of you guys are, but these instructions were DEAD ON.

The only REAL problems were getting the panel off(could not figure out how to remove the door release handle, finally just pulled out from bottom and everything came off), and removing the motor from the old regulator(took motor off of the right angle gear box instead of taking gear box from regulator, OOPS)

Instead of the tape method, I used one of the suction cups that I had used to keep the window up until I was able to tear apart the door and replace the offending regulator.

Thanks again, and I WILL keep the instructions for the back doors.

Lawrence

infrancom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 dts & 2002 SLS

i would love some help with this and i am a new member so i cant message you, but if you could email me at infrancom@aol.com i would greatly appreciate it. i have a 2000 dts with 3 windows that are not working

infrancom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 dts & 2002 SLS

Re: 2000 Deville Window Regulator Fix

gonna try the cotter pins myself, any feedback on how they have been working?

tributeartist is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile Re: 2000 Deville Window Regulator Fix

LOVE The Cotter Pin Solution! Simplicity of Design!

Keep up the Good Work!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.