Cadillac Owners Forum banner
258K views 152 replies 103 participants last post by  jimmyhearts 
#1 ·
#113 ·
Re: 2000 Deville Window Regulator Fix

I just fixed my Driver side window with the cotter pin method. Working so far. Also had to remove the cable gearbox the motor is mounted on to re-string the cable that had come off the spool inside the gearbox. I drilled out the rivets holding the gearbox to the frame, then replaced the rivets with 10-32 screw and nut. (only replaced 3 of the 4- the 4th screw interfered with the motor mounting flush to the frame.
THANKS TO ALL FOR THEN INFO ON DOOR PANEL REMOVAL(Lowcola) AND COTTER PIN REPAIR! Easy to follow and such complete information.

#114 ·

My damn driver side regulator popped for the FOURTH time in 3 years, so I did the cotter pin repair. Other than a little play, it seems to be working fine and should actually be stronger than the stupid plastic piece GM decided to use for a 60K car.

Now, for about 30 cents I can fix this problem in the future

Thanks again

#115 ·

I just fixed the regulator on my 2002 Deville using the Cotter Pin trick. Except I didn't have any cotter pins handy so I made some out of #10 solid copper wire. Seems to be a very stable fix. Thanks again to all in this forum. Great ideas that save me lots of money and time.

#116 ·

great tip. im going to try this during the weekend. i did already take my door panel off and looked at the regulator because i need to hold the window up somehow. i noitced the cable is kinked (bent or twisted) will this still work? im wondering if its going to get stuck in the motor becuse its twisted.
also any ideas on how to stop the slack in the window? thx guys!

#122 ·
I am on my 12th regulator. All windows have been replaced at least twice, with some 3 times. I bought regulators only for about $40. I am getting to be an expert on taking them out - I can make the repair in about 30 minutes. This time, I think I will try the cotter-key method instead of buying another regulator (this last one worked for abnout 2-1/2 years before failing again).

#124 ·
Re: 2000 - 2005 Deville Window Regulator Fix

The cotter pin fix is great. I have done two on my 2004 Deville. No problems whatsoever. You probably know that you have to remove the lifter arm from the track to do this repair. The lifter arm runs on the track at three (plastic tab) points. My only caution here is that you remove the arm by applying gentle pry pressure on the small single tab while applying gentle pressure on the lifter arm to move it away from that side of he track. Once it clears its side of the track, you just gently fold the whole arm towards the other two plastic runners. You don't have to remove the arm at that point since you just need enough space to put the cotter pins in place,, but you can if you wish. The most critical part of the whole job has nothing to do with the regulator. You MUST be very careful to remove the door trim panel by placing the trim removal tool EXACTLY at each trim attachment point as shown in the service manual. If you don't, I GUARANTEE you will break your trim panel anchor points! BTW, I have been running my cotter pin repaired regulators for two and three years respectively.

#125 ·

I supplemented the cotter pin fix by making bushings to keep the pins and the cable from rubbing together. I picked up some 5/16 nylon fasteners from Lowe's, cut a slit down one side so that I could slide it over the cable, used the heads of the cotter pins to clamp the fasteners together again, and then proceeded to do the rest of the repair per instructions.

I just wanted to share this solution to the potential problem of the pins wearing through the cable.

#127 ·

was driving home today. while rolling driver door up, heard some grinding and a pop. im assuming its the plastic part breaking. gonna try the cotter pin trick. WHERE on the door panel would i put a screw driver or other device to remove the door panel without breaking the clips??? thanx.

#129 ·

There is another thread (in Tech Tips) that explains the panel removal.
thanx, gonna try this repair in the morning. hope its simple. i only have ONE window that works now. when i bought the car, the rears didnt work. i didnt care, just rolled the front down when it got hot and i didnt wanna run the air. gotta at least fix this driver window..............smh

#131 ·

Well, about about 3 hours of trying to get ONE stripped nut that mounts the regulator to the door frame loose, i was too frustrated to try the cotter pin trick and just went ahead and purchased a regulator for 90 dollars at o reilly's...... Door went back together in 15 minutes after all that turmoil.......:helpless:

#132 ·

one more thing, even though i went ahead and bought the regulator, i still SAVED money by learning how to remove that panel myself. ive got two more windows that are broke, so, at the worst, i can buy the parts and still come out ahead...........:yup:

#134 ·
If you are going to just tape it up make sure to use painters tape. It is the blue colored masking tape. Any other tape will take days to come off after baking in the sun... If your in the Orlando area make sure to use Power Window Repair 407-415-5401. The owners name is Bob and is a super nice guy and gets the parts factory direct and cost far below 1/2 of what the stealerships charge for the parts and installation. They even cheaper than the jerks who say the rebuild your broken parts [with super glue and pipe cleaners] :) Orlando Power Window Repair did all my windows.

#135 ·
Several years since the first post in this thread, and I just wanted to say that I used all the above info. to solve this exact same problem tonight. This is by far the most useful, and well-contributed post I've ever read about ANY topic in ANY forum. THANK YOU to each and every one of you who contributed to this post!

I've had my '01 Deville DTS door panels off previously for another reason, so I was familir with that process, making the removal of the regulator arm an absolute cinch! It took me longer to run to the hardware store for some cotter pins, and to fit/bend them into place on the lifting arm working on the kitchen table, than it did for me to take the regulator arm out and put it back in. Working great now! Easily a $300-$600 mechanic bill saved by $0.55 in cotter pins!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.