DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; So my regulator popped and the little ball that snapped out of the plastic housing seems to have went quite ...
    UNKUT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS / 2005 STS

Re: DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf

So my regulator popped and the little ball that snapped out of the plastic housing seems to have went quite a ways away from its desired location. It actually made it around one of the plastic pulleys and stopped next to the green stopper where the cable goes into the black covering. How in the hell do I get it to mave back to where its supposed to be so I can then fix the thing?

UNKUT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS / 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by UNKUT View Post
    So my regulator popped and the little ball that snapped out of the plastic housing seems to have went quite a ways away from its desired location. It actually made it around one of the plastic pulleys and stopped next to the green stopper where the cable goes into the black covering. How in the hell do I get it to mave back to where its supposed to be so I can then fix the thing?
    Nevermind...... no responses and no info on the forums regarding this so I just bought a new regulator and tossed it in. Works better then before now!

wessongroup is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille

Say can anyone help on a source for the white nylon push-type retainers? Have not been able to find one person that supplies the item, and I'm being told they are no longer made...

MajikM777 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

Thank you for the .pdf saved me a bundle. I got my regulator off ebay for $29.00 plus $7.00 for shipping.The local auto recycler quoted me $170.00 for the same part, hope it lasts.

stevbo200 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac cts, cadillac deville dts

i took my door panal off and the regulator out but my cable seems very loose and i cant get it tostay on the white wheel, is there a way to tighten the cable?

brendanw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille DHS

Huge kudos to the guy who put this HOW TO together ... extraordinarily good documentation coming from an online forum and exactly what I needed for getting over the hump in my desire to replace the window regulators. So here's my $0.02 ...

3 of the 4 windows on my '01 DeVille DHS have gone out. The first one I had fixed professionally to the tune of about $350 I think. I just didnt have time to do it, so I paid the ridiculous price and now FULLY regret it. The other 2 have 22.5" long 2X4's (note that dimension) holding the windows up right now. The 4th will give out at a really inconvenient moment, I'm sure.

I removed the door panels ... let me restate this ... wrestled the door panels off, breaking some of the molded plastic mounts for the retaining clips. Some are still reusable and I think I can get them back on reliably. This is absolutely the hardest part of the job folks. Take your time and try to pry the panel at the location of the clips as you can see them as the panel is pulled away a little bit. Pulling out and up is critical.

Getting the regulators (with motors) out was a breeze. Move the windows up and down by hand to get at the two nuts that clamp the regulator to the window (right rear required snipping away some sheet metal to get at the nut ... no idea how they got it in). One plug and three nuts later the regulators were out.

It's obvious what the problem is. The white plastic pieces that the cable runs through have dried, fatigued and crumbled. The cable then runs freely through the channel without anymore connection to the window. I contemplated crimping a 'stop sleeve' onto the cables on either side of the window attachment brackets, but decided that it might be easier and worth the minimal $$$$ to just go ahead and replace the regulators.

I found a web site called 1A Auto who sells reverse engineered regulator assemblies for about $50 each (without the motor) depending on what model vehicle and which window. I ordered the right rear with the motor for about $80 since I had some trouble getting the motor out and may have damaged it. The guy on the phone said they their 'overseas' partners have redesigned the assembly using a better plastic and, sometimes, a different method of retention. We shall see. Regardless, the guy on the phone was personable, helpful and said the parts would ship today and be on my doorstep tomorrow. Cool!

Once I get the regulators installed I'll post the results to this thread. I'm new to the forum and cant post links yet, but I will when I can.

Brendan

Huge kudos to the guy who put this HOW TO together ... extraordinarily good documentation coming from an online forum and exactly what I needed for getting over the hump in my desire to replace the window regulators. So here's my $0.02 ...

3 of the 4 windows on my '01 DeVille DHS have gone out. The first one I had fixed professionally to the tune of about $350 I think. I just didnt have time to do it, so I paid the ridiculous price and now FULLY regret it. The other 2 have 22.5" long 2X4's (note that dimension) holding the windows up right now. The 4th will give out at a really inconvenient moment, I'm sure.

I removed the door panels ... let me restate this ... wrestled the door panels off, breaking some of the molded plastic mounts for the retaining clips. Some are still reusable and I think I can get them back on reliably. This is absolutely the hardest part of the job folks. Take your time and try to pry the panel at the location of the clips as you can see them as the panel is pulled away a little bit. Pulling out and up is critical.

Getting the regulators (with motors) out was a breeze. Move the windows up and down by hand to get at the two nuts that clamp the regulator to the window (right rear required snipping away some sheet metal to get at the nut ... no idea how they got it in). One plug and three nuts later the regulators were out.

It's obvious what the problem is. The white plastic pieces that the cable runs through have dried, fatigued and crumbled. The cable then runs freely through the channel without anymore connection to the window. I contemplated crimping a 'stop sleeve' onto the cables on either side of the window attachment brackets, but decided that it might be easier and worth the minimal $$$$ to just go ahead and replace the regulators.

I found a web site called 1A Auto who sells reverse engineered regulator assemblies for about $50 each (without the motor) depending on what model vehicle and which window. I ordered the right rear with the motor for about $80 since I had some trouble getting the motor out and may have damaged it. The guy on the phone said they their 'overseas' partners have redesigned the assembly using a better plastic and, sometimes, a different method of retention. We shall see. Regardless, the guy on the phone was personable, helpful and said the parts would ship today and be on my doorstep tomorrow. Cool!

Once I get the regulators installed I'll post the results to this thread. I'm new to the forum and cant post links yet, but I will when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by brendanw View Post
    I found a web site called 1A Auto who sells reverse engineered regulator assemblies for about $50 each (without the motor) depending on what model vehicle and which window.
    As promised the parts came next day from 1A Auto. $232.95 for 3 window regulator assemblies (1 with motor, 2 without) and 1 AC blower motor assembly.

1 1A-HCX-00060 98-02 Buick Olds Cadillac FWD Heater Blower Motor & Fan (Front) $74.95 $74.95
    1 1A-WRK-00076 00-05 Cadillac Deville Power Window Regulator w/o Motor Front Pair $83.05 $83.05
    1 1A-WRG-00432 00-05 Cadillac Deville Power Window Regulator w/Motor RR $74.95 $74.95
    0 1A-WRG-00524 00-05 Cadillac Deville Power Window Regulator w/o Motor LF $0.00 $0.00
    0 1A-WRG-00525 00-05 Cadillac Deville Power Window Regulator w/o Motor RF $0.00 $0.00

I've now installed all 3 regulators from 1A Auto. I'm still having trouble with the right rear, but i think it's the power module, not the regulator. The regulators from 1A Auto were a little different than the original, but hopefully better engineered. They fit perfectly and the 2 that are now working are working very well. Cant say enough about 1A Auto. I'll definitely order fro them again.

FixedThisBrokeThat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

First, thanks so much for the instruction packet. Along with a few other tips posted on this forum, the job was pretty easy. I replaced the right rear regulator with little apparent problem beyond breaking a few clips and a nice cut from the sharp edge of the regulator. However, now that everything is back in place and the window finally works, I seem to have broken the door locks on all the doors. If the key is in the ignition, regardless of whether engaged or not, all doors will unlock except the RR but none of the doors will lock from any switch including the driver master. All locks are fully functional with the key fob and when the keys are not in the ignition. Any ideas on what I broke??

Quote Originally Posted by brendanw View Post
    ... I'm still having trouble with the right rear, but i think it's the power module, not the regulator ... Cant say enough about 1A Auto. I'll definitely order from them again.
    Just an update on my window regulator issues. It appears that one of the problems with the right-rear regulator is that the polarity on the motor is reversed. Because of the awkward orientation of the 1/2 installed door panel when testing it, I didnt notice it at first. Yesterday I was troubleshooting it and noticed it. I accidentally hit the automatic full-down position on the switch, which drove the carriage past the stop limit and ripped the brand new plastic pieces apart ... arggggghhhhhhH!!!!!!!

Just a few minutes ago I called 1A Auto and mentioned the problem to them. The guy quickly stated that he had seen this problem before, apologized profusely and promised a new one to be shipped out ASAP!

So, the moral of the story on 1A Auto is that the parts are inexpensive and easy to get, but not without their flaws. The other side of that coin is that the folks at 1A are completely standup about and are there to put the customer first. Kudos to them

I'm still having an issue where via the rear doors, you can put the windows down but not up. I can make them go both ways via the main switch on the driver door though.

Slowy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '03 Deville Sterling Silver

this just happened to my drivers window today... haven't even had the car a month.
    i read the 'tutorial' and figured i'd give it a go......
    i couldn't get the door panel off to save my life. i'd like to think i'm technically savy, (replaced, turbos, manifolds, exhaust, transmissions, cv axles, brakes, wiring, etc) but something in the middle of the door above the clip was just NOT moving.
    i was pulling up...and out,,then both.
    i was actually LIFTING the car by just the door panel.

I just bought my 03 deville (1 owner, 39k miles) just about a month ago. i was told that the passenger side regulator just got done in September and that when one goes, more soon follow... well, how right he was!!

window went down, did not come back up.

i looked at the PDF 'tutorial' and thought, heck, I can knock that out. I generally think I'm pretty savy when it comes to working on cars. I've replaced, transmissions, clutches, turbo's, manifolds, brakes, cv axles, wiring, etc etc. yeah......I couldn't even get the door panel off. I got all of the clips loose, plus the screw under the handle, but could not get it off the car. It seemed as if there was something in the middle holding the panel on. I read about the 'up and out' pull and I was trying that... even to the point of rocking the entire car by the door panel. Can anyone give me any tips or tricks to getting this thing off?

I decided to put her away and let myself calm down before I ended up breaking something

thanks in advance

**Mod. you can delete post #43 (from me on 10-17-09, 03:23 PM) i posted, then forgot that admin had to approve... sorry about that

well, i am happy to say that i just finished the job.
    after the first try, i decided to calm down and leave the car in the in-laws garage overnight. the next evening i gave it another go. the middle where the door was stuck were two clips (that go into the white squares if you look at the PDF from the 1st post), all you have to do is slide those up and they come out (duh).....
    the rest of the job was CAKE. i absolutely LOVE the fact that Cadillac uses that black plastic instead of the flimsy glued on plastic like other cars where you get that black silicone glue all over the place ( i guess caddy figured it would be coming off often, hahaha)
    untightened the window, pulled it out (i didnt have the part to replace it, so taping it up for a day was not an option)
    undid the 3 10mm screws that held in the regulator, rotated clockwise and pulled out.
    My dad got me a new regulator (with lifetime warranty!!) for $65
    put the old motor in the new one, reinstalled, BAM... works like a charm

i've always been scared of doing window stuff, but with this PDF, your comments, and Caddy's ease of install (except for door panel) it was cake.

Thanks again CF!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.