DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by 01devilledts Ya, i keep duct tape far away from my car, just because of the residu (sp?) ...
    DANNY BROWN is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: DeVille Window Regulator/Motor Repair - HOWTO pdf

Quote Originally Posted by 01devilledts
    Ya, i keep duct tape far away from my car, just because of the residu (sp?) it leaves, masking tape wil not leave anythign behind (unless you leave it in the hot arizona sun for a few hrs). The only problem i ever had with all 4 of mine was the little plastic clip breaking and the window then isnt connected to the cable. so i just took a pice of sheet metal, and riveted it around the cable stop, and it wil never break again
    can you please tell me how i can fix my regulator with th3e sheet metal in detail.i would appreciate it so much.

trichards is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS

Boy are you good!!!!!!!!!!
    You have provided more than I could have hoped for and all in color.
    Thanks so much. I needed to take a look before I tackle the job but i was not able to determine how to get the door panel off from the other folks trying to help.
    You are the GURU of this repair for sure.
    Thanks a lot.
    Tom

lowscola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS

Quote Originally Posted by trichards View Post
    Boy are you good!!!!!!!!!!
    You have provided more than I could have hoped for and all in color.
    Thanks so much. I needed to take a look before I tackle the job but i was not able to determine how to get the door panel off from the other folks trying to help.
    You are the GURU of this repair for sure.
    Thanks a lot.
    Tom
    Thanks. I'm glad you found it usefull.

Johnny Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2001 Deville. The window can be held up with small suction cups. After my drivers side regulator broke, I used these on the inside down again the top of the door panel. They stayed there for 3 months until I repaired the regulator.

John

newetc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldo

awesome pdf.. thanks for posting

SCDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS

I just did the passenger side on 2004 DTS. I would like to thank you for your effort putting this together - it was a great help with photos to look at.
    Any new developments on parts, methods etc?
    Found two pins bent up in the window attachment plate where the " up" shoulder should be (broken off) and used them to hold the swaged socket on the wire rope and added the hump back thingy contacting the upper side of the pins. Hope this will hold up. I noticed a lot of stress cracks al over the plastic molding on he attachment plate. I did have FSM for 2004 since it is out of warrenty now.
    For anyone with the 6 pin connector on the window motor the two top outer large (wide ) pins operate the motor (up/down).

Thanks again. Great job.

Mike Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 DTS Cadillac

Great instructions and a real money saver. Took passenger front and driver rear off with no problem.

Thanks

jcdsog is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2000 Deville Window Regulator Fix

ok, so i've been reading on here that the window regulators on the devilles are always going bad. i deville i just bought had the same problem. i also read that someone on here fixed theirs so i figured i'd give it a try myself.

please note that i didnt plan on documenting this repair so i didnt have a nice camera. i used my camera phone so the pictures aren't as detailed as i would have liked.

i will assume that you have read prior posts as to how to take the door panel off and the window regulator out of the door so i will skip that part. it's relatively straight forward. there aren't but 3 screws that hold the regulator in and i taped the glass to the top of the door to hold it up while i did the repair.

first, you need to take the part that screws to the glass off of the track. you will need to do that by using a flat head to release the white plastic locking tab then rotate it off.

second, i got out my tape measure and took some measurements of the peice that i would need to fabricate. i used a piece of alluminum that i had laying around and some tin snips. here is what i ended up with.

what happens is there is a metal "tab" or "ball" on the steel cable that locks into this piece. when the motor turns, it slides this up and down the track. the factory piece is plastic and breaks.

before we can put our metal pieces in, we need to cut the plastic to allow for a fit. take a hack saw and cut 2 straight lines across. where to cut is shown here by the red lines.

once we did that we can fit the aluminum piece in and make any adjustments as needed. the blue arrow here is where it was broke origionaly and is what we're actually fixing.

make sure that you check everything for clearances. we dont want anything rubbing. make sure that the metal isn't sticking up above the white plastic that it fits into. u may need to trim a little metal off the top of the aluminum for an exact fit.

once i had a good fit and tested the "tab" or "ball" into the hole, i drilled a hole and put a sheet metal skrew to hold things down. a pop rivet will also work here (i couldnt find my pop rivet gun).

i finished up by applying jb weld to the surrounding areas being careful not get it where it shouldnt be. it looks rather crude but i assure you it will not break now!

that's basically it. next, just allign the piece back on the track and put the steel cable with the "ball" or "tab" into the hole that we just repaired and snap it back together. be sure to lube and grease everything up while you have it out. put the regulator back in the door, reattatch the glass and plug the motor back up and you should be ready to test your work.

im sure there are other ways to fix this problem but i just thought id share how i fixed mine. it's working great and only took me about 3 or 4 hrs and costed $5 for the jb weld which i still have plenty left over.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: 2000 Deville Window Regulator Fix

thanks for the tip!

92_Seville_89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 seville STS

nice work!

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

I might give this a try next time one of mine blows like a shotgun now that my certified warranty is expired.

Thanks!

cvsting is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Now explain a little more on what you did with the jb weld, why you needed that ?

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Love those OEM designs..Deville 'pop in drop' windows.

I thought only PC's windows crashed.

Yes, the window uses a cable. The cable is attached to a plastic part. Plastic fails. Window drops.

They can be repaired. I have fixed 2 of 4 on mine.

Logan Diagnostic LLC
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    http://www.logandieselusa.com/deutzdiesels.html

jcdsog is offline Cadillac Owners Member

the jb weld was just so secure it all together. its still working great btw.

edcarol is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville; 2001 Deville

Wonder why Cadillac (GM) hasn't retooled the replacement part with a metal piece.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.