How To Clean the Throttle Body - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How To Clean the Throttle Body in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Always be very careful NOT to use stuff like Walmart's carb cleaner, it is VERY VERY rough on parts! It ...
    N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: How To Clean the Throttle Body

Always be very careful NOT to use stuff like Walmart's carb cleaner, it is VERY VERY rough on parts! It will strip any coatings off in a flash. It will make a Q-Jet silver in seconds! It isn't supposed to be!

Talamant3z is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

i used berry,am b-12 chemtool carburetor choke & throttle body cleaner did a good job i didnt find any just throttle body cleaner so this was the next best thing

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

I just cleaned mine a little while ago. Mine looked worse than Talamant3z's. It was solid black. I scrubbed it with an old toothbrush and STP Throttle Body and Carb cleaner. I guess that's what happens when the car is 10 years old and has 112K on it and it's never been cleaned. Great post.

SL1CK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville STS

I'll probably be posting new pics soon, I have a real camera now.

Jamie Z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

Thanks for this great write-up. I probably would have never figured out my sticky gas pedal. My symptoms weren't like most others described here. I just had a slight hesitation in the pedal from a start.

I didn't know if cleaning the throttle body would be the fix. Indeed, my throttle body wasn't all that dirty. A few little touches of black stuff. I cleaned it up. Sticky gas pedal is gone.

Perfect.

Thanks.

Jamie

Caddy465 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville SLS

This has got to be one of the most helpful threads on this site! I am NOT a mechanical person and I did this the other day following the instructions. The setup on my Seville was a little different. The MAF screen was on the other end of the hose (or whatever it's called) next to the air filter rather than next to the TB so I didn't have to remove that. I used my wife's toothbrush (kidding) to clean it and then wrapped a rag around the toothbrush and got it in there as far as I could. It was solid black and worse than Talamant3z's, but after I cleaned it, it looked just as good as his. I feel pretty good about myself now.

Windrider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98-SLS, 01-SLS

When I look at this thread the pictures don't display. The setting on my browser (Internet Explorer) has the "show pictures" option checked in internet options.

What else should I do?

thanks

Windrider

mart88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-V

Thanks for the tips!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Windrider View Post
    When I look at this thread the pictures don't display. The setting on my browser (Internet Explorer) has the "show pictures" option checked in internet options.

What else should I do?

thanks

Windrider
    Post your question in this section.

Site News, Feedback, Questions and Suggestions

danbenton is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Seville SLS

This guide was excellent... drove a few blocks to "blow out" the dirty air, and it seems to have done what it was supposed to.

Thank you for the edited photos and guidance! More money in my pocket thanks to this site.

TEXASROCKS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville Concours

I have a 98 Deville with 165,000 miles on it and i checked mine and it is freakin bonkers dirty...like i'm talking retarded! I cleaned as much as i could but it felt like a losing battle! Should i be taking the intake manifold off to clean it, or take the TB off and clean it more effectively? I stuck my finger as far back as i could and scrapped the side and a 1/2 inch of gunk came out on my finger! After cleaning the butterfly and all around it...it did seem to improve responsiveness, but just wondering how much farther i want to take this? Or if its even worth it??

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Taking off the TB would be easier then removing the intake manifold by a dang site. Removing the TB may be a better option if you believe there are still areas you can't see that need to be cleaned.

I've used amsoil Power Foam cleaner on a 17 year old truck before with really good results. It's just a thought. It's one of the few amsoil products I've used, and I had good results from it. I cleaned what I cold see with carb/tb cleaner and used the foam to clean the rest.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Trying to clean the inside of a Northstar intake manifold, especially a 2000+, would be an exercise in futility. Better to call Jake and buy/find a new one - the frustration prevention would be worth the price.

If you remove the manifold you can clean the first intake tunnel, but the lower box and runners are impossible. It's probably worth the effort if the TB was really disgusting.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No need to clean the manifold. That's akin to cleaning the exhaust system. All it needs is the throttle plate and the TB bore as far in as you can reach.

TEXASROCKS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville Concours

Ya...not gonna attempt to remove the manifold....took off the TB and the EGR lines. The EGR lines and ports on the manifold were completely clogged!!! Removed them, soaked them...so we'll see how that works out. Its bonkers how much carbon and sludge is in there! Could there be a problem else where that is causing this? Sorry if these sound like dumb questions...not a expert on these matters hehe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.