How To: Replace front Struts: Documented with photos
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How To: Replace front Struts: Documented with photos in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I posted this in the suspension section but I did replace the front struts on my Seville this afternoon. The ...
    iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

How To: Replace front Struts: Documented with photos

I posted this in the suspension section but I did replace the front struts on my Seville this afternoon. The link to that thread is here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=62949

I had to remove some of the pictures, but you can find them all on a link in the other thread.

Enjoy!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MacKiNBacK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: How To: Replace front Struts: Documented with photos

I was just wondering if you happened to see anything reguarding the upper strut bearing when replacing? I highly doubt id bother with it since I plan on trading up. But just curious.

MacK

I did not see anything, and I couldn't see anything wrong with the ones that I reused. The rubber around it was still completely intact. and I couldn't make any noise on it when I tried manipulating it with my hands.

trading up for a newer STS?

walterroc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado

Great write up. I copied it to my 98 Eldo fix folder. I may have to do this in the spring. Thanks for your effort.

Edwin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

would this be the same on changing strutes .for a 1998 cadi eldorado? Rick edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin
    would this be the same on changing strutes .for a 1998 cadi eldorado? Rick edwin
    if it's not exactly the same, it'd be very, very similar.

ruaskier2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

To All,
    S-iametarq hit the nail on the head. The parts list was great. The torx and large wrench I had to buy. (It wasn't part of my 50 pc tool set. LOL)
    Just some words since I just did mine in the driveway in about 3 hours.
    There's two types of spring compressors, make sure you get the EXTERNAL pair. (The screw shaft is on the outside of the spring. I believe they're pictured on S's thread.)
    Also, the connector housing plug from the strut to the body harness was tucked very discretly up behind the tire splash gaurd/firewall. Two items that helped me on the '98 SLS....1) The connector housing has a fur tree designed as part of the connector housing. It was NOT used. An odditional fur tree clip was taped to the electrical body harness, so all I had to do is open the clip with a flat screw driver. No need to pull it from the metal body panel. 2) It was very easy for re-assembly by installing the 3 top screws to the top of the strut. I then used a large screw driver to align the bottom 2 holes starting with the top one. Use the floor jack to hold the A-arm/brake asm in place and knock the bolt in. I then started the bolt, picked up the A-arm/brake asm until it rotated into alignment, then nock the bottom bolt in.
    Penetrating lube was my friend also.
    Thanks again, Great write up w/ pics S-iametarq! I'll trust your advice again.

ruaskier2, glad it was helpful!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.