How to check for a faulty FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and replace it - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How to check for a faulty FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and replace it in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; sweeto! Just changed mine out, it was really bad, gas was spurting out the vacuum connection. I was having trouble ...
    chickenrob is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: How to check for a faulty FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and replace it

sweeto! Just changed mine out, it was really bad, gas was spurting out the vacuum connection. I was having trouble starting not only hot but also cold (but it was better in the winter for whatever reason). A word of caution, the car did backfire WHEN I was checking the fpr, scared the crap out of me! This car sounds like a firecracker when it backfires, once I was driving some friends to camp and I acually asked them if they had firecrackers in their luggage we didn't know what the sound was. Also, I did attempt to releive the fule pressure, and I thought I had (some gas squirted out of the pressure release valve) but when I poped off the fpr, a miniature eruption of gas occured that also caught me off guard. The car was also sputtering a lot when first started, and this seems to have helped this too. Thanks for the great post!

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by eurumbaev
    Great post. I seem to be having an opposite problem. My '94 Eldorado, 168k, has been having difficulty starting in the morning after sitting overnight, but once started, throughout the day starts on the dot. It seemed to be progressing worse and worse, untill today I wasn't able to start at all! Is it possible that a bad FPR might be causing this type of problem as well(even thought the symptom seem opposite), or would it be more likely the fuel pump? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I would suspect the fuel pump. Put a guage on the fuel rail and get a fuel pressure reading.

SkarTisu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Is there a special trick to getting at the fastening bolt that attaches the FPR to the bracket on the 4.9's? This has to be the DUMBEST design I've ever seen for hanging a part! It looks like I may have to pull the fuel rail, but the FSM doesn't describe the procedure from what I can find!

Frustrating! I really don't want to pay someone else to do this since the part itself is simple, and easy to see.

Thanks for any insight!

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Quote Originally Posted by SkarTisu
    Is there a special trick to getting at the fastening bolt that attaches the FPR to the bracket on the 4.9's? This has to be the DUMBEST design I've ever seen for hanging a part! It looks like I may have to pull the fuel rail, but the FSM doesn't describe the procedure from what I can find!

Frustrating! I really don't want to pay someone else to do this since the part itself is simple, and easy to see.

Thanks for any insight!
    I agree with you that it is a dumb design, but you do not need to remove the rail to replace the FPR. I did lift the rail when I did it first time (2 yrs ago). But now I know how to do it without lifting the rail. I used a torx (I forgot the right size, I think it is the same as that holding the fuel rail near the inlet and outlet) bit and a small wrench to turn. There is enough space to stick a torx bit there. Not too bad.

Yes, the aftermarket FPR didn't last long, only for 2 yrs and started leak! Now I installed one from ACDelco.

The bolt fastening the FPR to the rail is a torx? What size?

I could see how you could get a small torx bit in there. Clever!

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

Yes, on my 95 SDV with a 4.9, it is a torx. Unfortunately, I do not remember the right size. But as I said, the torx holding the fuel rail inlet and outlet on the engine is the same torx that is facing up, so you can easily verify the size of the torx bit there and stick the same bit under the FPR.

Good luck.

Very good! Thanks for the tip....I'll let you know how it goes once I've tried it.

Gearheaad43 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Polo Green Cadillac Seville STS

I changed out the FPR on the 97 STS..... Took a total of about 10 minutes... Easy as PIE!!! .. Wow!! I wish other GM cars were that easy!! LOL... The FPR I used was a GP Sorensen P/N 800-319, manufactured by Standard Motor Products, Inc.

Noticed a bit more power on tap!!! And no fuel smell "UGH" in the cabin.. YES!!

Finally got mine swapped out. Here are some tricks I learned along the way.

- FPR location on the 4.9s is between the distributor and the throttle body. You have to remove the airbox to see it
    - Remove the distributor cap AND rotor to get an unobstructed shot at the FPR fixing screw. I found it easier to mark all the plug wires, remove those, as well as the white connector on the distributor cap so I could fully move it out of the way
    - The correct Torx key size for the fixing screw is a T27
    - Using a Torx L-key, not a Torx bit, was the winning combination. I couldn't get a Torx bit secure on the screw to turn it
    - Don't forget to fish the o-ring out of the old FPR and transfer it to the new one. Starting the car without that o-ring was a BIG (but not flaming) surprise!
    - Even though you released fuel system pressure before disconnecting the old FPR (RIGHT?!) you'll still get fuel spillage out of the rail when you remove the FPR. Put that cigarette out first! Also, put something underneath the FPR to catch the fuel that will spill out. I'd guess that a tablespoon of fuel leaked out on mine.

I'm very pleased with the results. I haven't had a chance to test a "heat soaked" start yet, which was a problem before, but driveability especially at very light throttle application is much better. She pulls away from a stop smoothly now instead of a slight lurch and stumble. Fuel mileage appears to be improved, but I'll need to drive a whole tank to be sure. I think I got some power back (I should have anyway) but it's not a night-and-day difference. She jumps when you put the coals to her, though!

97Concours1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SG AWD, 1997 Concours Deville (sold)

Clogged vacuum port to fuel pressure reg

I just thought I'd let everyone know about a problem that I had that could be common on other cars. I pulled the vac line off of the FPR (fuel pressure reg) to check for gas coming out of it. No gas (good), but I also noticed there was no vacuum in the line either. I pulled the short little vacuum line off the intake and it was clear. I tried to poke a wire through the intake manifold nipple and couldn't even force it though. I finally took the intake completely off to see what was going on. I took the throttle body off and found a 1/4 inch of built up nasty carbon all over the back of the throttle plate and inside the intake. This also covered the vacuum port for the fuel pressure regulator. It actually took a drill to get it opened up, even after I scraped all the carbon off the inside!

This vacuum line is important for proper fuel mixture. If it is clogged, fuel mileage could suffer and the engine could run lean or rich causing other problems. My car ran better instantly after fixing this.

porkfarm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Clogged vacuum port to fuel pressure reg

Glad to hear your ride is doing better. This is one of the reasons why I use seafoam every now and then. I try my best not to get the black build up on any intake part. Started with my Jetta TDI, those things can close up with 75K on the clock, but you can bypass the EGR with VAGCOM.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Great catch. This one should be moved to the Tech Tips forum.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

This is why it is important to clean the TB once a year.

I'll merge this thread with the FPR thread in the Tech Tips section.

RiZzLe7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Coupe Deville , 2001 Seville SLS

how do u check fpr on 92 deville?

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

Quote Originally Posted by RiZzLe7 View Post
    how do u check fpr on 92 deville?
    Read the first posts all the way back on page one. The principal is the same on the 92 as it is on the northstars in the first post. Only different is that on the 4.9s in the 92 the FPR vacuum hose comes out the side, not the top.

If you remove the air filter housing you will see a small brass valve with a small hose (about 3 inches long) coming out at a 90 degree angle. Just pull that hose off the nipple and look for leakage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.