How to check for a faulty FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and replace it - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How to check for a faulty FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and replace it in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I Need Help!!!! My Problem Is Oppsite Of What Everyone Is Saying- My 96 Deville Sputters And Is Very Hard ...
    acfcrown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: How to check for a faulty FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and replace it

I Need Help!!!! My Problem Is Oppsite Of What Everyone Is Saying- My 96 Deville Sputters And Is Very Hard To Start When Cold - But Then Starts Easily All Day Long - Still The Fpr ?

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

OK i'm about to freak out. I dont have a vacum hose on my FPR. BTW its a 1994 De Ville Concours. And also to remove the for my car 93-94 the you need to remove 10 T30 bolts. It was a bitch to get the last two because it was not black but steel color. Somone point out what is going on. After I pulled the cover off there where sign of fuel all over the the place. ?????

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The '93 & '94 Northstars had the fuel rail inside the manifold. As a result, it is subjected to manifold vacuum, thus no need for a vacuum line. Simply turn the ignition on to pressrize the fuel rail and look for fuel leaking from the FPR nipple. DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE. If it starts in that configuration, it will run away unthrottled. If the FPR is leaking replace it.

OK thank goodness.

Well I turn on the ignition and no fuel leak. Also there is like I believe is fuel but it is dark as oil on the bottom inside my intake. Maybe its my Fuel Injector which I hope it isnt beace it would cost me 8 times more than a FPR.
    Also there is a 2x4 black box connected to wire. What are they for? They look like there should be a hose connected to it.

Ranger should I put my cover back on and start it for and while and shut it down and take the cover off?
    BTW the dealer discontinue the T30 bolts for the cover of 93-94

Ranger Please I Still Can't Fix This - My 96 Deville Fpr Is Not Bad - I Tested It , It Was Fine Car Still Poor Starter But Runs Like A Watch Rest Of Day . Fuel Filter Maybe??? Im Desperate Nay Suggestions Will Be Appreciated Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 94CaddyConcours
    Well I turn on the ignition and no fuel leak. Also there is like I believe is fuel but it is dark as oil on the bottom inside my intake. Maybe its my Fuel Injector which I hope it isnt beace it would cost me 8 times more than a FPR.
    Also there is a 2x4 black box connected to wire. What are they for? They look like there should be a hose connected to it.

Ranger should I put my cover back on and start it for and while and shut it down and take the cover off?
    BTW the dealer discontinue the T30 bolts for the cover of 93-94
    Remember, the PCV pulls crankcase gasses into the manifold and burns them. When you shut down, those gasses settle in the manifold. I suspect that is what you are seeing. Perfectly normal and it takes years to accumulate. Wipe it out and drive it for a few days. Then recheck it. I doubt you'll see any build up that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by acfcrown
    Ranger Please I Still Can't Fix This - My 96 Deville Fpr Is Not Bad - I Tested It , It Was Fine Car Still Poor Starter But Runs Like A Watch Rest Of Day . Fuel Filter Maybe??? Im Desperate Nay Suggestions Will Be Appreciated Thanks
    Start with the basics. Get a fuel pressure guage on it and see what kind of fuel pressure you have, key on, engine off, then see what it is while cranking.

I still get horrible MPG, I suspect it the injector.
    Is it advisable to use carb cleaner in the intake manifold. Also while I'm here, if I get a 95 intake Manifold would that increase my hp up to 300? Would it be possible.
    Also how do I test the FI.
    Also to correct my previous post: The dealer discontinue the 4 bolts that hold the intake, But the 10 pieces of T30 with rubber are not. They are sold as kit only. They run about $70 for all 10 bolts with rubber while I need only 2 bolts w no rubber. The previous owner use a stainless steel and it was pain in the arse to remove it.
    I didnt get to look for the drain plug for the radiator yet can you also point it out?

Ranger -you Wont't Beleive This My Deville 96 Runs Like A Top . The Problem Disappeared Starts Right Up Anytime I Guess It Was A Tank Of Bad Gas . As Soon As I Ran Real Low And Filled Up Again It Went Away.. Thanks For Your Help P.s. I Did Put In A Bottle Of Lucas Fuel Injection Cleaner When The Problem Started - This May Or May Not Have Helped But It's Good Stuff As I've Used It Before With Good Results

So Much For All Is Well ! After A Full Tank Of Super She Was Running Like A Top - Heavy Rain Last Night - Now She Got Two Blocks , Stalled And Won't Restart - Sounds Like Not Getting Gas
    I'm Guessing It's The Fuel Pump . Is Fuel Pump In Tank? Any Idea What This Will Cost Me ? Thanks Again

Yes, pump is in the tank.

ranger can you help??? now ive got a new problem low oil pressure light and chime go off occassionally stop engine message comes on .. then goes away . im guessing bad op switch , right? by the way oil is full and car runs great + no noise at all

Quote Originally Posted by acfcrown
    ranger can you help??? now ive got a new problem low oil pressure light and chime go off occassionally stop engine message comes on .. then goes away . im guessing bad op switch , right? by the way oil is full and car runs great + no noise at all
    This section is for "Tech Tips". Please post questions in the proper section (Northstar).

eurumbaev is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Great post. I seem to be having an opposite problem. My '94 Eldorado, 168k, has been having difficulty starting in the morning after sitting overnight, but once started, throughout the day starts on the dot. It seemed to be progressing worse and worse, untill today I wasn't able to start at all! Is it possible that a bad FPR might be causing this type of problem as well(even thought the symptom seem opposite), or would it be more likely the fuel pump? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.