How to check for a faulty FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and replace it - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How to check for a faulty FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and replace it in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi does the 94 N* have the fuel rails that had to be replaced? thanks...
    jamesmdx1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1988 Coupe Deville, 1991 Coupe Deville, 1989, 1994 Eldorado

Re: How to check for a faulty FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and replace it

Hi

does the 94 N* have the fuel rails that had to be replaced?
    thanks

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmdx1
    Hi

does the 94 N* have the fuel rails that had to be replaced?
    thanks
    No. The recall is for '95 - '97.

Caddysodry is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Any ideas where a FPR is on a 93 seville? My car starts ok but the gas milage is bad.

The '93/'94 FPR is inside the intake manifold. Remove the top cover. Since it is inside the manifold it is subjected to manifold vacuum, hence no need for a vacuum hose. When you go key on to pressurize the fuel system, DO NOT crank the engine. If it starts, it will run away at WOT and bounce off the rev limiter as it will be unthrottled.

CadillacLuv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville, SLS

What part is the hose that should be pulled and checked for leaking. I don't want to screw up my baby...

I don't understand your question. Just pull the vacuum hose off the FPR and look for fuel leaking from the nipple.

a.johnson1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

my 97 deville starts just fine when the engine is warmed up or has been driven, but is getting almost impossible to start when the engine is cold, this morning i had to crank it 7-10 times when it did start it was runnig like crap, does anyone think this could be my problem?

Check your fuel pump relay. Remove the gas cap. Put your ear to the filler pipe and have someone turn the key On (Don't crank). You should hear the pump run for about 2-3 seconds. If not, the relay is probably bad. In that case, the engine must build enough oil pressure to enable the oil pressure switch to override the relay and power the fuel pump.

I checked the fuel pump relay. The pump is working fine. what about the cold start sensor. its only hard to start when the engine is cold (it seems worse during colder weather) like a carburated car with the choke stuck open. after it starts up the first time it usually starts good until it sets for a while, (usually over night). I just bought the car about a month ago. it started fine when we test drove it. About a week after we bought it my wife told me she had to crank the car a couple of times before it would start and it has been getting worse since then. thank you for the advice. and more would be great.

behind-bars is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville 4.9L

I believe I have found the FPR on my 4.9L (93 Sedan Deville) Since it is not a N* it does not have a beauty cover, but it looks similar to the one pictured and is just to the driver side of the throttle body sort of under the air intake housing.

I havent checked it recently, last time I checked a few months back I did not see a leak with engine on or off, so I figured it is good. Lately though the car has become hard to start when warm, After driving around and stopping for a few minutes then restarting I have to hold the key all the way over for several seconds for it to start up, Yet it always starts first try when cold, like first thing in the morning or when I leave work/school after a few hours.

I have just had the starter replaced twice in the last year or so, before I had it done the first time it got hard to start no matter hot/cold. After replacing it all was well for a month, then with no warning I was stuck at a gas station unabable to get it started. After checking and replacing the battery I had it towed back in and they replaced the entire starter and it was fine up until recently when I have hot start troubles every time.

My question is how do I troubleshoot this to determine if this is a sign of my starter going out again, or an FPR issue. I havent seen any leaks at all every time I checked it, Any other way to test starter or the fpr without just replacing it?

EDIT for a.johnson1
    Have you checked for any problems with the starter? If its constantly getting worse no matter cold or hot it sounds like what I just described. You mention your problem started with cold starts, I wasnt sure if your hot starts have started to be more difficult or not. Maybe describing the sound it makes may help lol When I had my starter trouble it was sort of a whining sound, never sounded like it tried to turn over.

I think the starter is ok. it turns over good, fast not dragging.The sound is like when your car is out of gas and you try to start it, and it almost starts for a second and then dies. it is a lot like that but i have plenty of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by behind-bars
    I believe I have found the FPR on my 4.9L (93 Sedan Deville) Since it is not a N* it does not have a beauty cover, but it looks similar to the one pictured and is just to the driver side of the throttle body sort of under the air intake housing.

I havent checked it recently, last time I checked a few months back I did not see a leak with engine on or off, so I figured it is good. Lately though the car has become hard to start when warm, After driving around and stopping for a few minutes then restarting I have to hold the key all the way over for several seconds for it to start up, Yet it always starts first try when cold, like first thing in the morning or when I leave work/school after a few hours.

I have just had the starter replaced twice in the last year or so, before I had it done the first time it got hard to start no matter hot/cold. After replacing it all was well for a month, then with no warning I was stuck at a gas station unabable to get it started. After checking and replacing the battery I had it towed back in and they replaced the entire starter and it was fine up until recently when I have hot start troubles every time.

My question is how do I troubleshoot this to determine if this is a sign of my starter going out again, or an FPR issue. I havent seen any leaks at all every time I checked it, Any other way to test starter or the fpr without just replacing it?
    If the engine cranks, the starter is doing what it was designed to do. The first post will tell you how to check the FPR.

Quote Originally Posted by a.johnson1
    I checked the fuel pump relay. The pump is working fine. what about the cold start sensor. its only hard to start when the engine is cold (it seems worse during colder weather) like a carburated car with the choke stuck open. after it starts up the first time it usually starts good until it sets for a while, (usually over night). I just bought the car about a month ago. it started fine when we test drove it. About a week after we bought it my wife told me she had to crank the car a couple of times before it would start and it has been getting worse since then. thank you for the advice. and more would be great.
    There is no "cold start sensor". Maybe a leaky injector (flooded engine). Have you tried starting it with your foot on the floor (clear flood mode)?

i tried to start it while holding the gas pedal on the floor. didnt start. since there is not a cold start sensor in my caddy what would be like a choke? As soon as it starts you can kill it and it starts right back up no problem i dont get it. do you have any other ideas?

Well, PCM reads coolant temp to determine that the engine is cold and richens the mixture (so to speak).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.