How To Clean The EGR Valve - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How To Clean The EGR Valve in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Great tips here. But I wonder about the pintle. My Chilton repair book says the pintel should be cleaned. They ...
    farmerjohn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado ETC 1995, SRX V8 2005

Re: How To Clean The EGR Valve

Great tips here.
    But I wonder about the pintle. My Chilton repair book says the pintel should be cleaned. They have a picture on page 4-7 that shows the assembly of the EGR valve. It looks like the hole you are not spraying solvent in has a screw that allows to take the EGR valve apart.
    Is it possible to get it back in correct function if I take it apart? I'm especially worried about the spring tension.
    Electric cleaner should not dissolve the insulation, but clean out the dirt. Do you think that would lessen the risk of ruining the mechanism if it came into the hole beneath the valve?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I spray it in the opening under the "can" where you can see the pintle valve and use a dental pick to scrape the carbon loose. Tedious and time consuming, but with the right tool you can do a good job.

blackfrontier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I tried to get the EGR out on my 95 STS and the steel fuel line is in the way and won't budge! What do I have to do to get the fuel rail out of the way. Looks like the factory upgrade was done.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You need to separate the rail from the supply line and then remove the hold downs. Then lift the rail and injectors out.

slb113087 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville STS

thanks for the detailed pictures...

Scorpiooooooh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Concourse

Re: 95 sts acceleration problem

For a while now my car has been hesitating, just not accelerating smoothly and running rough in the 55-65 mph range. Cleaned out the EGR and she runs much better. One of the easiest fixes I've ever done on this car. The images sure helped.

Rod94Concours is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Deville Concours

Such great info here. I've done the RPM/ Coolant Temp/Volts mod on my 94 Concours as well as cleaning the Throttle Body. Today we were out running errands and the car started running very rough. The cat was also getting hot. Stopped by the parts store and picked up an EGR Valve gasket and a can of Brake Cleaner. Pulled off the EGR, cleaned it and re-installed. Car is running smoother and has better throttle response than it ever had.
    A big "Thanks" to this forum and the people that contribute to it.
    A new EGR was $177-275 depending on the manufacturer. $7.49 for a can of cleaner and gasket worked out much better for my budget this week.

barrylee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Seville SLS
    i cut that metal bracket for ss lines off with a dremel and replaced the wierd bolts with real bolts into the egr mount.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.