How To Clean The EGR Valve - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, How To Clean The EGR Valve in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; When I took my egr out to clean it, I didn't use a new gasket. Never had a problem with ...
    Eldyfig is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)

Re: How To Clean The EGR Valve

When I took my egr out to clean it, I didn't use a new gasket. Never had a problem with it.

Talamant3z is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

how do you clean one from a 97 eldroado i got one bolt off but the other is under the fuel line which i cant get off

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

You have to lift the fuel rail.

Seville44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Sorry, I can't tell by the last picture, where exactly do you spray the carb cleaner? everywhere but inside the allen ekey looking hole?

diablo69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Is there anything called a "PVR" valve? Someone told me that was my problem but it was probably the EGR valve he was thinking of. Suggestions"

No such thing.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Seville44 View Post
    Sorry, I can't tell by the last picture, where exactly do you spray the carb cleaner? everywhere but inside the allen ekey looking hole?
    You can spray it in there just as long as you're careful not to get it into the big canister portion of the valve. The carb cleaner will eat away at the insulation on the electrical windings of the valve if it does go in that area.

NeMiZiS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Seville STS

Nice write up!

mrs.ramos is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Deville

Good afternoon! I purchased my great grandmother's 1995 Cadillac Deville beginning of 2009. She bought it new in 95 and when she sold it to me she had put 36k miles on it, never drove it! But she always put regular gas in her when it should have been premium. In the short 16 months I have owned it Ive put 30k miles on it. Ive had to replace (not personally) the starter, hub bearing, ignition cyclinder, radiator, water pump, a/c compressor and got her a tune up...its a great car for the money I spent and Im def. queen of the road while driving her but the spark knock is frickin terrible (tune up helped at first but came back and seems to be getting worse). Ive put off replacing the EGR valve up until now and have recently learned that I shouldnt replace it I should just clean it...can someone tell how to go about doing this myself instead of having to pay someone to do it...I consider myself a smart girl but will definitely need the process to be broken down barney style...Thanx in advance!!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

mrs.ramos, Post this (or ask a Moderator to move it) up into Northstar Performance - there are quite a few owners up there who have mid-90's engines and do a lot of maintenance on them.

The EGR is the small can-shaped fitting on the right rear of the cylinder head just behind the throttlebody - in front of your gas pedal foot area. Problem is, on a pre-2000 the valve itself is no fun to remove and there are also passages in the cylinder head surfaces which also clog up due to sedentary driving habits. You'll need coaching from the guys who have the same engine.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I am unable to move one post in the tread. The '95 has a 4.9. It would be better posted there.

Frep85 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville STS 1994

I just followed the instructions and cleaned out the EGR-valve. Replaced air filter as well. The car runs perfect without the jerky rpm at low speed. But here's a problem: the cruise control as well as the left power window on the backdoor stopped working.

Does anyone know why? I know this is a pretty common problem but I really don't want my top condition Cadillac suffer from this

mrs.ramos is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Deville

Thanks Submariner409, mine isn't a northstar (1995 base 4.9L-1 year before Northstars came out) I spoke with a mechanic and he told me to replace the PVC valve first and since thats super easy Im going to try that first. I also located the EGR valve but hopefully I won't have to mess with it.

justus is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Great thread! I just cleaned my EGR and it did the trick. Biggest problem I had was that the last person to replace/clean the valve didn't put the brace for the fuel rail back on correctly, so it (the brace) was over the nut. I had to pry the fuel rail over with a screwdriver with one hand and remove the bolt with the other. That was sorta scary because I didn't want to kink up the fuel rail, but it was fine. I figured the guy who did the last job couldn't find the hole. I never have that problem.

Bigjack21000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville 1988 and 1990

Thank you for the pictures!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.