Junkyard tech
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Junkyard tech in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Credit goes to N0DIH and Illumina for the idea... Junkyards are unique in that you have access to parts from ...
    DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Junkyard tech

Credit goes to N0DIH and Illumina for the idea...

Junkyards are unique in that you have access to parts from a wide range of cars at a (usually) reasonable price. You are also able to get a feel for the parts purpose and see how the factory installed it if your particular yard happens to be a "U-Pull-It" style yard. This comes in handy when using parts off of other cars, and adapting them to your own.

One common feature I add is express down windows. Many cars come with express down for the drivers side only, and usually have the express down built into the switch itself. GM cars like Bonnevilles and most Cadillacs used a seperate 4 wire module, allowing you to retrofit express down to almost any car with power windows, and to any window you choose. The module is also ruggedly constructed and well sealed from the elements. The module is a black rectangle, approx. the size of a pack of cigarettes and is located in the drivers side door. There are four wires going to it. It releases from its bracket by a tab you push toward the module and slide the module out. Wiring is straight foward, the pink wire gets spliced to the 12v feed at the switch (use a test light to find it with the key on). Next, unplug the window motor and find out which wire gets +12v when you hold the switch in the down position. cut this wire about two inches back and connect the Brown wire to the switch side, and the Brown/White wire to the motor side. Take the remaining wire and splice it to the remaining wire going to the window motor. Thats it, that window now has express down.

Another common mod is swapping clusters for digital ones. The only downside is the mileage stays with the cluster. If you couldn't care less, you might consider this mod. Here is a wire chat comparing the two clusters. (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...1&postcount=10) Most of the wire colors are the same, just located in different spots on the connector. With a small screwdriver to release the wires from the connector, you can repin the connectors and make it work. Search for posts by my username on digital dashes for tons more information.

I also add Twilight Sentinel to cars not so equipped. The latest being a friends CRX. It looks complicated, but it is pretty easy to install. The wiring colors change from year to year though, so posting them doesn't help unfortunately. Older Devilles are the cars to get this out of, Sevilles have just about everything integrated into the BCM.

The latest project is a Heads up display from a Bonneville SSE. It is a standalone unit (not integrated into the instrument cluster) and seems adaptable to vehicles equipped with an electronic VSS. (may need a "yellow box" or some other form of adapter for ratios and such) The HUD includes Speed, Directional indicators, Low fuel warning, High beam indicator, and "Check Gauges" warning. The VSS input wants to see 4000 pulses to ground, per mile. This HUD is probably going to end up in the previously mentioned CRX. Picked up the display for $6.... Something to consider.

Anyone else have any good modifications from junkyard parts? Post them up!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Junkyard tech

Update: that HUD went in super easy, even with the other car being a completely different make. It would be nothing to put one of these in something like a deville.....

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Do you happen to have any pics of the HUD unit? Like, before you put it in the CRX?

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    Do you happen to have any pics of the HUD unit? Like, before you put it in the CRX?
    Sure do. Its a small empty box with a few mirrors when you get down to it....

The Controls...

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmed
    Sure do. Its a small empty box with a few mirrors when you get down to it....
    That looks just like the Nightvision LCD projector in my car (mine was flooded so I gutted the box, but it's still there). The control is the same, too (I took mine out and replaced the knee bolster with a non NV one). Looks like it would be easy to add HUD from a Bonneville to my DTS. What year Bonnevilles had HUD?

Jim

Mid 90s Bonneville SSE and SSEi models, I think from 95 on up. Theres two kinds of HUDs, one has a motor adjustment, one a cable. The older ones are cable. They both should work, but one gives better flexibility in mounting the controls. They also were available in later Grand Prixs, but I haven't seen those at many junkyards yet.

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy
    That looks just like the Nightvision LCD projector in my car (mine was flooded so I gutted the box, but it's still there). The control is the same, too (I took mine out and replaced the knee bolster with a non NV one). Looks like it would be easy to add HUD from a Bonneville to my DTS. What year Bonnevilles had HUD?
    Jim
    Hmm, I spotted you on H-T. Take a look in the EF section. My friends username is CRXB16T he posted up pictures of everything and a nice write up (that I typed up mind you...)

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmed
    Hmm, I spotted you on H-T. Take a look in the EF section. My friends username is CRXB16T he posted up pictures of everything and a nice write up (that I typed up mind you...)
    Ummm....that's a different turbojimmy Just kidding. It is my alter ego to an extent.

I do hang out there once in a while, in spurts mostly. I did chime in on the Caddy thread though. I saw that write up get posted today - nice work.

Jim

Cavalry is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Do you have any wiring info on this swap? I have buddy at the dealer checking for a diagram for me, but he says most of their stuff dosnet go back that far?

Gearheaad43 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Polo Green Cadillac Seville STS

The main problem retrofitting Bonnie and GP HUD's to Caddies would be in cutting the dash hole for the HUD Unit and securing the unit to the under dash area.

The 95-99 Bonnie SSE's had HUD's and the 2000 up SSE all have them. 89-90 Turbo Grand Prix's have the top dash mounted HUD's, 91-96 GP's had Optional HUD's and the 1997-2003 GP GT had Optional HUD while the GTP got them as Standard. most 2004 up Bonnies and GP's have HUD's.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Pearl White Diamond Cadillac Eldorado ESC

Wow! There are a lot of good ideas in the OP's first post. I never though of trading borrowing the tech from some cars for ours. I am loving the HUD idea the most. If you can make progress in terms of wiring and fitting, please, please keep us updated!

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

very cool

99Classillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex-99 Deville owner, Now-04 DTS and 05 DTS. ZX6R Pilot too.

I wouldn't mind having a HUD in my car. Is it really hard to do as far as wiring? I ain't too good at that stuff.

It's really not hard at all wiring-wise. The toughest part is mounting it. (which isn't too bad even)

99Classillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex-99 Deville owner, Now-04 DTS and 05 DTS. ZX6R Pilot too.

no questions in tech tips forum, read the sticky - urbanski

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.