Replace steering wheel bulbs with LEDs (How-To w/Pics)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bam1234567
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Replace steering wheel bulbs with LEDs (How-To w/Pics) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey guys, Been lurking for a while, have gotten TONS of help from you guys, so first I would like ...
    Bam1234567 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Replace steering wheel bulbs with LEDs (How-To w/Pics)

Hey guys,

Been lurking for a while, have gotten TONS of help from you guys, so first I would like to say thanks!

On to the write up....

Almost all the bulbs were out in my DeVille's wheel for quite some time, and it finally annoyed me too much. First off, these are the bulbs I purchased, best part is, they have INLINE RESISTORS!! (Yay for no extra work!)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you plan on converting to LED, I HIGHLY suggest these bulbs. Another perk of these LEDs is that the little blue condom from the old bulbs fit these perfectly.

So, assuming you have everything torn down on the steering wheel already, heres the tools needed:
    LEDs
    Small Needle Nose Pliers
    Small Wire Cutters
    Soldering Iron For Micro Board Work (i.e. not a chisel tip)
    Solder (typically optional, since the solder left should be enough, unless you use de-soldering braid to remove the old stuff)
    Flux (typically NOT optional, unless you *really* enjoy a challenge xD )
    A 24 pack of your favorite beer makes this a lot easier, trust me. And not because of the beer, but we will get to that.
    Razor blades

Alright, first thing, these LEDs are great, but they come shrink wrapped, and we don't need that. So go ahead and take that razor bade and rip that shrink wrap off.

Attachment 214705

As you can see, I've partiality removed one of the wraps, you will need to remove both wraps, the one on the resistor and the one covering both wires.

In case you haven't already, tear down the switch to the Circuit Board. A small flat blade screwdriver and some perseverance should do the trick.

Next, we get to that 24 pack. Now, since the Circuit Board has a bunch of pins of the back, plopping it on a table at a 45 Degree angle and digging at it with an iron is gonna make you wanna claw your eyeballs out. So, take a small knife, or your razor blade and cut a slit in the beer box, just wide enough for the pins to all slip in. Then press the Circuit Board into the box. Now it is stable and flat, and soldering will be a breeze!

Now that you have the Circuit Board secure, desolder the old bulbs. You can do this by pulling the top of the bulb to the right, then hitting the solder on the left side with the iron. The wires are pretty weak so the left side will pop up easily. Then pull the top of the bulb to the left and hit the right side. Rip off the bulbs and white spacers underneath.

Alright boys and girls, cats and squirrels, now the fun part. You have to take the needle nose pliers and position the resistor UNDER the LED. Is should cross underneath the leads. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are two thousand words:

Attachment 214721

Attachment 214729

Take your time with this! Don't break the leads on the LED. Make sure to leave a little gap in-between the resistor and +POS lead. Like this:

Attachment 214737

It shouldn't matter or short out if you don't leave a gap, but I'm not taking any chances.

As you can tell, these are pics after I soldered them onto the board. Soldering them onto the board is pretty straight-forward. Adjust the negative terminal as needed, then cut it to length with the wire cutters. For the -NEG side, you should *only* be using the lead, NOT the wire that was soldered onto the lead. This is going to allow you to solder on the negative side while the LED is in place, and once that side is on, it will be held in place by the strength of the terminal. If you use the wire, it wouldn't have any structural integrity to stick straight up, since we can't reuse the spacers with the resistors in the way.

For the +POS end, I cut the wire attached to the resistor down to about 1 inch. After that I slid the sheath off and this was a pretty good length to work with. 1/2 inch of wire could've been better, though. Either way, most of the lead and resistor's prongs will be used to wrap the resistor under the LED and hold it there, then you will use the small length of wire to solder it to the board. OH! And spin the braided wire so it stays together!! This will save you headaches when you go to solder. Here are a few pics of the end result:

Attachment 214745

Attachment 214753

Viola, you are done! Remember, if you want to keep the little blue condoms, they will fit:

Attachment 214761

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

Thanks!
    Attached Images
    Avaya likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Replace steering wheel bulbs with LEDs (How-To w/Pics)

I'm going to copy this to the Tech Tips section.

P.S.
    I just did all 6 on my daughters '04 SLS. Although there are many similarities, it was a bit different.
    I also found out that there is no need to remove the air bag. The switches can be pried out with a small flat bladed screwdriver.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.