Cleaning your engine of evil carbon - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Cleaning your engine of evil carbon in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I guess the story of cleaning carbon deposits are all wrong for the following instructions .What I know is that ...
    Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Cleaning your engine of evil carbon

I guess the story of cleaning carbon deposits are all wrong for the following instructions .What I know is that hit from 30 up to 80 MPH with the engine getting red line and then after hitting 80 MPH, let the car slown down to 20 MPH and then as soon as you get 20 , step on gas pedal till you see 80 on the speedometer .Repeat this 3 times in a month .....
    Well, I also think that the very best way is to use a professioal lengine cleaner

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Top Engine Clearner: update
    I performed the TEC carbon cleaning last night. With the engine idling, I sprayed it in the PCV hose... unplugging the vacuum hose made the car start to run rough.

I sprayed about 90% of the bottle in, and then thecar stalled when I plugged the hose back in.

Turned the car back on, and raised RPMs to ~2000 until the white smoke began to come out.

This morning I cranked her up, and raised RPMs to 2000 and so much white smoke kept coming out forever, and ever. I think I may have startled other neighbors--some lady got on her cell phone, or maybe she was already on it.

Easily a cloud the size of two 3 story buildings. Wow.

I then went for a brief drive to the dealership with a coupon for a $22 oil change. On my way I put it in 2nd and raised it near redline, then let the engine slow down. I did this twice--and no smoke or anything came out.

I got my oil change, then repeated the 2nd gear to redline, and engine braking down to 30 on my way in to the office.

Clean as a whistle.

The engine sounds crisper, more mechanical--top of the engine still has ticking sounds which are likely normal valve/cam sounds.

Tailfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Concours

Hmm I keep thinking I have this stuff down, and then having second thoughts. I pour right into the TB, but basically going to the same place. How do you guys get so much smoke? lol... I poured it in until it was just about stalled, and then I finally got THICK white smoke for a bit...I turned it off then, poured a tiny bit more in, and started it up 20 minutes later. I got white smoke for a half minute or so, but it wasn't really really thick, or enough to create a huge haze or building-high cloud like I notice others seem to get.

Maybe my engine's too clean but I don't think so. I've done this with 2 cans of GM TEC and 3 of SeaFoam, and each time I still get more white smoke. Just wondering why I can't seem to get the "forever and ever" smoke...but I don't understand how one would get that anyway, because eventually the stuff's gotta burn off.

I noticed water mentioned too to steam clean it. I was just thinking of a happy medium here....would not be free, but dirt cheap compared to the cleaners... How about doing this with a load of plain isopropyl aclohol?

Quote Originally Posted by Tailfin
    Hmm I keep thinking I have this stuff down, and then having second thoughts. I pour right into the TB, but basically going to the same place. How do you guys get so much smoke? lol... I poured it in until it was just about stalled, and then I finally got THICK white smoke for a bit...I turned it off then, poured a tiny bit more in, and started it up 20 minutes later. I got white smoke for a half minute or so, but it wasn't really really thick, or enough to create a huge haze or building-high cloud like I notice others seem to get.

Maybe my engine's too clean but I don't think so. I've done this with 2 cans of GM TEC and 3 of SeaFoam, and each time I still get more white smoke. Just wondering why I can't seem to get the "forever and ever" smoke...but I don't understand how one would get that anyway, because eventually the stuff's gotta burn off.

I noticed water mentioned too to steam clean it. I was just thinking of a happy medium here....would not be free, but dirt cheap compared to the cleaners... How about doing this with a load of plain isopropyl aclohol?

I think you're not referring to a Northstar. These instructions are specifically designed for the Northstar. Spray it in the PCV vacuum hose, car will begin to run a little rough... keep spraying until the can is gone.

AFTERWARDS, accel to 2000RPM until you see the smoke--then you turn off the car. I left mine overnight. In the morning, the cloud formed, again by accelerating to 2000 RPM.

Yeah I realize they were for N*...does it really build up THAT much more carbon than other engines though? It just seemed like it never got all of it out...as I can add another can and still get more smoke. I'm thinking I might try the isopropyl method...or at least do that after the water method...would ensure getting the water out.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I am not sure if the Northstar builds up more carbon or not. I believe it is more sensative to it though.

Beefmalone is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1
    Please note the above is for 95+ northstars. The fluid should go to the middle nipple on top of the manifold. Don't pour it into the valve cover or something... Just follow the rear PCV hoses.
    what about the older ones?

Yeah I realize they were for N*...does it really build up THAT much more carbon than other engines though? It just seemed like it never got all of it out...as I can add another can and still get more smoke. I'm thinking I might try the isopropyl method...or at least do that after the water method...would ensure getting the water out.
    The smoke is not carbon. It is the solvents evaporating under the heat of the combustion chamber.

Leaving the solvent/vapors inside overnight is what insures that you dissolve the most carbon.

I think the situation with the Northstar, is that it was designed to be a high performance engine, and it is mostly underutilized in that role. So either it is more sensitive to the carbon or it builds more due to it's underuse.

Hmm, then is there any way to tell if you've got most of the carbon out? Don't say take off the heads

Hmm, then is there any way to tell if you've got most of the carbon out? Don't say take off the heads
    I'd say that if you did it properly, that should give you the peace of mind.

I think there is a way to look inside the engine with a borescope through the spark plug port. Don't ask for details, I haven't done it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yes, you can . I have one and have done it but you'll only see the top of the piston, not the underside of the head.

FredMaxwell is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Can I ask,
    How come seafoam costs $5 a can if it's mostly rubbing Alcohol?
    Good lord, for 92 cents you can get a bottle of 91% Iso

I buy the 50 cent bottles of 50% because it is a great way to wash your hands

Also, I always thought Alcohol would dry out your cylinder walls and rings.. what is the story?

PS: That TEC sounds like some good shit.. where do you get it?
    Is that what they use in injector cleaning machines?
    Or is it that can you run your engine off of to clean the injectors?

I also had to ask where to get it...at a reasonable price anyway. Just go to the nearest place you'd take your car that's an official GM Dealer, ask their parts section. Only about 7 bucks.

I was wondering about the isopropyl too. I also wonder if you can put GM TEC in the fuel in order to give the injectors a good blast...but I ain't gonna try it unless I'm reassured it's fine. Not sure what those chemicals would do to the pressure regulator and such.

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Probably wouldn't hurt it if you did it once in a while. I'm going to look into it myself and get back to you about that one.

AnotherToothpick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Where would I find the PCV tubes in a 4.9 engine (taking into account that I still have very limited knowledge of where everything is and what it's called)?

Also, does this process more or less have the same effect as adding carb cleaner to the TB tubes? I poured half a can of CC into the TB tubes while rodding them out, then let it sit in the engine overnight before starting it the next day and burning it all off... Unfortunately this did not solve my rough idle (800-1000rpm) or my sporadic knocking. Though I gather the rough idle could simply be the result of me needing a new O-ring throttle body gasket.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.