Performance modifications for the 4.x engines.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Performance modifications for the 4.x engines. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; This thread is dedicated to performance modifications for the 4.5 and 4.9 liter MPFI Cadillac engines. It is not a ...
    illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Performance modifications for the 4.x engines.

This thread is dedicated to performance modifications for the 4.5 and 4.9 liter MPFI Cadillac engines. It is not a fix-it guide for those who blow things in their engines, nor is this a guide to tear down the whole engine. It is simply a guide based on what I've done to my 1991 Seville to make her run better. I will include what I believe has worked well, and what has not.

Please enjoy...

Exhaust is a big thing for these cars.

For those of you who don't want your Cadillac sounding like a Camaro SS, then don't read any further.

What has been done with my Seville is this: 80 series Camaro style dual output muffler (yeah, riiiight, there's no "muffling" here). It is a single 2-1/2 inch in, dual 2-1/2 inch out muffler that will give your car the dual exhaust look. It is also a serious performance enhancement that you're sure to notice if done right. This setup is best served with nice chrome tips that barely poke from under the rear of the car. Don't make the car look stupid by having the tips stick 12 inches from the rear. Subtle, not overbearing.

Things that are needed: two chrome tips. Turn-downs are nice, but I prefer slanted staight tips from Hooker Headers. Two L-bends for the dual outlets. They are for the Camaro when this particular muffler is being used. They might fit others as well. With the L-bends, you'll have a very even look without the tips pointing in different directions. The aforementioned 80 series Flowmaster Camaro muffler is the next-to-last step. Other mufflers will do just fine, but I prefer this one because of the high flow...And noise...Just whatever you do, make the exhaust a dual outlet. It looks better that way!

Catalytic converters can be dealt with in three ways: keep what you have, gut the one you have (highly illegal!), or purchase a high flow from the local performance shop. These will not be application specific, so you had better know how to clamp these things on and make it fit right.

In some cases, you may want to have an actual cat-back exhaust system done for your car. I prefer to do the above listed steps because it's cheaper and will probably yeild the same results.

The last step is all the little hangers and clamps. Not too much trouble if you know what you're doing.

Air intake never hurts a thing...

Unless the intake opening is about the size of a golf ball. Which is the case for the MPFI 4.x engines. The opening is behind the headlight and draws cooler air, but at what price?

A custom open-element air intake routed to a cooler area is the way to go and has helped not only performance, but also fuel economy. I'll post a write-up on how to make the MPFI air intake later on.

Ignition timing helps!

The factory setting is set to a somewhat conservative 10 degrees BTDC. For better performance and somewhat increased fuel mileage, the timing should be set to about 13 degrees BTDC. 14 might be pushing it. If ping is heard, back timing off until it goes away. This is a free modification and takes about ten minutes.

Premium fuel is needed when the timing is that advanced!

MSD ignition has some useful benifits.

The MSD igntion is actually something that you could skip on. The fuel economy will increase some and it seems to give a smoother ride at lower RPM's, but this device is better suited for when you throw enourmous amounts of fuel at the engine. With a stock fuel pressure regulator (FPR), this device may only help fuel economy. The MSD has also been claimed to drop times by a few tenths, but again, for a stock fuel system, I wouldn't say it does that.

Throttle body spacer...

Not really worth the time to install because from what I've heard, they are better suited for the wet intake manifolds with the TBI fuel systems. I installed mine on a dry system and it might help a little because of the rifling/ribbing of my particular brand (Areomotive I think), but overall, it's something I wouldn't worry about if it was your car.

Casper Electronice throttle enhancer.

I could go either way on this. It is supposed to even out the flat spots in the throttle position sensor (TPS), and from all indications, I would say it does just that. Throttle readings under diagnostic mode shows a jump from 78.5 or so to about 80 at WOT. I really don't know if it's that helpful for shaving off elapsed times with that little bit of change.

Cap and rotor kit from Accel.

This is a give-in. It does help strengthen the spark pulse through the copper cap terminals, and response is noticeably better.

Accel ignition coil.

Either the 'Brute Thunder' or the 'Super Coil' will be good enough. MSD doesn't make one for the Cadillac engines that I'm aware of, so the Accel are the next best option.

MSD heli-coil wires.

I chose the 8.5 mm wires because of my igntion setup. However, the 8 mm set of wires will do just fine. The wires will help the energy from the spark transfer much better and cleaner.

Be warned though, you'll have to get the custom set and cut the wires yourself due to lack of application.

I would also avoid the Accel wires because of the higher resistance than the MSD. In fact, just stick with the MSD wires and be cool with that.

Accel 7-pin ignition module.

Put it like this, either the GM brand or Accel will do just fine. I chose the Accel because of the higher RPM capacities and the MSD ignition. But really, we're talking about the 4.x series Cadillac engines: high RPM's aren't what they're known for.

Spark plugs...

AC Delco rapid fires are by far the best choice. Stock .060 gap seems to work fine, though I haven't really experimented with the gap. For 9.5:1 compression ratio, I understand that said gap is the most optimal.

Other plugs such as the Bosch plat-4's are junk. They shroud the spark! Plat-2's might be better, but I would just suggest the single tipped plugs.

Iradiums are something I have yet to look into.

Areomotive FPR...

This is the Areomotive FPR for the Chevy LT-1 engines. It will easily adapt to the fuel rail on the Cadillac 4.x engines. In fact, it's almost a direct fit! (Slight modification is needed.)

I could go either way on this one. On one point, it will screw with your ECM and the integrators will lean out the fuel delivery due to it being in closed loop mode. On another point, during open loop mode (above 3000 RPM's), the FPR will help out some if set just right. I have mine at 3 PSI above stock right now.

A set of 19 lbs. injectors over the stock 18 lbs. injectors will likely yeild the same results...

This is the thing the MSD would be needed for, but with the closed loop system at lower RPM's, I really don't know if it would help that much.

So far, we have the following items with grades of approval:

MSD ignition (mine is/was a digital-6...Long story for why it was...). A 6A will do just fine for your application if you choose to purchase an ignition. I wouldn't recommend getting the digital-6 because of the expense and reliability. Fuel mileage will improve no matter what, but to get the most out of this, fuel enhancements are the best thing or the MSD ignition. Grade = B

MSD wires along with the Accel cap and rotor kit and Accel coil help tremendously. Just try it and see for yourself. Either a GM ignition module or the Accel will help add to the fury, but don't expect seconds to be shaved here. Do the AC Delco plugs too! Grade = A+

Exhaust is the single best mod for you 4.x Cadillac engine. Do it right and you will not be sorry! Grade = A+

Ignition timing could be compared to the exhaust. Do it!!! Grade = A+

Custom air intake. For this to work properly, it must be routed to a cooler area. A short ram intake will be better than stock, but drwas too much heat. Keep it cool. Grade A+ for cool air, B- for short ram.

Throttle body spacer. Don't waste the cash for this. Grade = D

Casper throttle enhancer. See above...Might be somewhat better than the above, but probably not worth the cash. I also hear somewhere that a home-made job of some sort can yeild the same results. Grade = C-

Adjustable FPR. It will play with you ECM and drive you nuts at times. I like the high end it seems to give though. Best served with the MSD ignition. Grade = B

*DISCLAIMER*

Should you purchase said performance items and said performance items do not show signifigant improvements or even minimal improvements to said car (Cadillac 4.x engine), Illumina and his subsidiaries are not to be held responsible for such purchases.

Illumina also claims special performance enhancement rights to the 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 liter Cadillac engines. Should someone attempt to enhance said engines and said engines do not show signifigant improvements or even minimal improvements in performance, Illumina and his subsidiaries are not to be held responsible for such actions.

Illumina has a wide range of mechanical knowledge for said Cadillac engines. Should someone attempt to tinker with, or otherwise disrupt the balance of power in said Cadillac engines without the consent of Illumina, Illumina and his subsidiaries are not to be held responsible for such actions. Even with Illumina's consent, user acknowledges that said work on said Cadillac engines are at the risk of said user and Illumina and his subsidiaries are not to be held responsible for said mechanical actions.

Illumina and his subsidiaries hope that said enhancements and purchases help the purchaser of said items.

Now go out and enjoy your Cadillac 4.x series MPFI engine!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Re: Performance modifications for the 4.x engines.

That is great Illumina! Thanks!

askim is offline Cadillac Owners Member

great thread!!!

addison_ii is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville

The "fine" print is hilarious!! Nice write up BTW. See I told you we need you here.

Thanks for the replies everyone

I created this thread to point people in the right direction should they feel the need have a little more performance on their 4.x series Cadillac engine without having to explain these things on every thread that asks these questions. This guide shows what works, and what really isn't necessary.

For the custom air intake, I would really like to post some pictures as a step-by-step instruction manual, but I am too lazy to get freakin' batteries for my digi-cam. Once I do (Wal-Mart this weekend), I will upload the pics somewhere so that they are hosted without attachments.

All things aside, there are other things I should discuss, such as chipping the cars and doing a cooler thermostat.

The "chip."

For the performance chip (stay away from Superchip!), I have heard very good reviews from Fastchip for these engines. The main issue with chipping is this: you can do most of the performance modifications a chip can provide on your own. This can be done by bumping the timing as mentioned in my first post. The primary function of aftermarket chips is to curve/advance the timing as stated above.

The chip does however have very good benifits that you cannot easily attain yourself. It will remove the top speed limit of your car, and will also change shift parameters for the 4T60E transmission that the Cadillac MPFI 4.x engines are equipped with. The shift parameters as far as I know can not be changed any other way, so that is certainly something to consider. The chip also has the fuel map changed slightly to create more power. I should also mention that on Caddyinfo.com, there is speculation that the aforementioned Casper throttle enhancer may be better suited for the chip.

For more information on the chip, check the following link out. I have heard nothing but good things about these people and I personally emailed Ed Wright before regarding some ECM work, so they are easy to deal with and will help you out with any questions you may have, be it good or bad news...

The "chiiiip."

Also for the record, I tried to install a Superchip, but they sent me either a defective chip, or the wrong application all together. It would not allow me to start my car via the Pass-key theft deterrent system. Once I bypassed the system, the car started, but was only running on 4 cylinders, or so it seemed! I tried to contact Superchip several times by phone and email, yet they have never responded after I wasted $200.00 plus change over a year and a half ago on their product. I strongly advise that anyone interested in a Superchip take this into consideration. As of now, I am currently not running my car with any chip.

Cooler thermostats...

A cooler thermostat will help to suppress detonation after you advance your timing. It will also keep your engine generally cooler on a warm day. On some of the aftermarket chips, I have noticed that it is recommended that a cooler t-stat be used.

The stock Cadillac t-stat is either rated at 190 degrees or 195 degrees. I would advise against the 160 degree t-stat as it may cause poor fuel mileage through the engine feedback system. A 180 degree t-stat is the way to go, and any small block Chevy t-stat from Jegs or like performance shops will do the trick.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

By chance during your mods, did you have a baseline run? How fast were these cars originally before tweaks? I never ran my 91, wish I did, but then again, I feared lunching the trans (>150K miles)

The ECM won't have an issue with it per se, it will go into closed loop, but it will likely be running a % richer all the time, and these cars run plenty rich now. So you don't for sure want to add to it. I would bet if you can lean it out some at WOT, you would see some benefits down the 1/4mi and SOTP. But Cat Converters may suffer too, they richen it to cool them so they don't melt.

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH
    By chance during your mods, did you have a baseline run? How fast were these cars originally before tweaks? I never ran my 91, wish I did, but then again, I feared lunching the trans (>150K miles)

The ECM won't have an issue with it per se, it will go into closed loop, but it will likely be running a % richer all the time, and these cars run plenty rich now. So you don't for sure want to add to it. I would bet if you can lean it out some at WOT, you would see some benefits down the 1/4mi and SOTP. But Cat Converters may suffer too, they richen it to cool them so they don't melt.
    The catalytic converter is an enhancement that I cannot mention

As for the fuel pressure, the integrators show the standard 128 at WOT, which is fine by me. During low RPM operation when closed loop is operating, the higher fuel pressure sends the ECM into that 'lean out' mode and the integrators show around 115 or so, thus leaning out the fuel at low RPM's. I think I have that right...It also seems that it is therefore using less gasoline, making fuel economy a little better when driving below the open loop parameters. When I step on it though, the fuel economy goes right out the door... Does that make any sense?

As for a pre-mod run, no I did not get that chance. I can ballpark for you though that a stock '91 Seville can not run low 15's in the quartermile. The '91 STS ran a 16.6 on the quartermile, so mine was likely a little slower. But then again, who trusts magazine times, right? But again, low 15's was not a time the 4.9 liter enigne powered cars were capable of in stock configuration.

ELDORACER is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i was just wondering how do your advance the timing i have a 97 N* ETC

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Illi's remarks apply only to the pre-Northstar Caddy engines.
    This thread is dedicated to performance modifications for the 4.5 and 4.9 liter MPFI Cadillac engines.
    Computers control the timing on Northstar engines, they make tens of thousands of decisions per second based on every possible engine management parameter. Trust me, the computer in your Northstar knows better than you or I or anyone how to run that engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ELDORACER
    i was just wondering how do your advance the timing i have a 97 N* ETC
    I'm sorry, but you cannot advance the timing on the Northstar cars like you can in the 4.x cars. The Northstar timing controlls are as Jim-Hare has stated: via a very complicated OBD-2 engine management system in which the ignition system is not mechanical like the 4.9 liter and like engines. I don't even think that they make a chip for the OBD-2 Northstar engines, which is any engine made in 1996 and thereafter.

*UPDATE*

Since the time I posted about these mods, I have since blown my MSD ignition ($300.00 loss!) and have been running with the stock HEI. I placed a new Accel cap and rotor kit on along with an Accel Supercoil. It seems that because of this change that the Seville is actually a little more crisp and faster during WOT, though the fuel economy has gone down by close to 10% and part-throttle operation is not as smooth as when the MSD was on there...

So, if you'd like more performance at the cost of a drop in fuel economy, then I advise against the MSD ignition and just beef up the stock HEI system, though I still plan to have my MSD unit repaired so I have the option to use it again.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Curious, with your adjustable fuel press regulator, have you dropped the pressure, say to 35 psi and measured performance? As these cars were often calibrated lean, I am curious if that helps or not.

Maybe do some controlled 50-80 mph acceleration runs in fixed gear and adjust 1psi and retest and see what is best for performance.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

great thread idea Illumina!

Mahalaleel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L

Illumina, can you do a step-by-step guide to making your cold ram-air intake? Such as what parts you used, where to get them, etc?

Mahalaleel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L

Illumina, pm'd you about this, too. I would be Ohhhhh so obliged if you could supply parts/cost list please please please? it looks soo good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.