2002 Deville Air Temperature Actuator Replacement (others similar)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, 2002 Deville Air Temperature Actuator Replacement (others similar) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Greetings, I just replaced a faulty air temp actuator on my 2002 Cadillac DHS and would like to share the ...
    markmnj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1973 Cadillac Hearse, 2002 Cadillac DHS

2002 Deville Air Temperature Actuator Replacement (others similar)

Greetings,

I just replaced a faulty air temp actuator on my 2002 Cadillac DHS and would like to share the experience. Not difficult and takes about an hour and a half. Also detailed are the knee bolster removal steps to help you avoid breaking it. I always like to take my time with plastic trim.

Symptoms:

Persistent IPM B0429 code
    Intermittent popping sound from dashboard accompanied by incorrect air temperatures for REAR seat passengers.

Tools -n- Parts Used

1/4" drive socket set
    1/4" drive Torx bit set (for 1/4" ratchet)
    ACDelco 15-73428 replacement actuator

Replacement

1) Disconnect negative battery cable

2) Remove the passenger side lower kick panel (2 small hex cap screws)

3) Remove the passenger side knee bolster. No special tools needed. Bolster attachment clips are designed to pull free with a little force. Simply the knee bolster it on the top and bottom on one end and pull straight back toward you. Do the same on the other end then pull the remaining bottom section free in one even step. There are two clips on each end and three or four along the bottom. See pictures of removed bolster showing clip design and mounting hole locations.

bolster clip.jpg
    clip hole.jpg

3) Using the 1/4" Torx bit and ratchet, remove the glove compartment CD changer if equipped and the Torx screws holding the glove compartment in and gently pry the plastic glove compartment light/cover off.

4) Pull the entire glove compartment out toward you. Disconnect the valet switch connector and allow the disconnected light and CD changer wiring to pass through their holes and remain behind. Unlike the knee bolster, the glove compartment will take little effort to pull free once all screws are removed.

5) Remove the offending actuator. After unplugging, remove the two 5.5mm hex head screws. It may take a little working and pulling to free it from it's shaft. The photo below, shows the actuator as it sits and two arrows indicate the mounting screws.

actuator.jpg

6) Installation is the reverse of removal. By the time you are done, the battery will have been disconnected way long enough to allow the HVAC actuators to re calibrate themselves upon power up. After reassembly, re connect the battery, turn the key to "on", HVAC system/blower on and wait a few minutes to allow this. Turn key off, then back on, clear your codes and then it's business as usual.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

Re: 2002 Deville Air Temperature Actuator Replacement (others similar)

Hello, Is that the same component that lets air through thru the left and right side, mine is cold on drivers side warm on passenger side. It started (noticed it) two days after the battery terminal was loose then tightened up. Thanks Ed

No, this one only controls the air temperature for the rear or auxiliary air temp as it's called. If you had a loose battery connection, you may have one or more ofyour actuators out of sync. Completely disconnect both of your battery leads and hold the disconnected leads together for 5 or 10 seconds. That will remove any residual power in the system. When you reconect the battery, turn the key to the on position and leave it there for a couple of mins with the HVAC set to "auto". That will allow them to re sync/reset from zero and get things back to normal.

If that doesn't work you'll need to dig deeper. Scan for codes using your car's built in scanner and repost your question and codes with their definitions in the discussion forum for your car: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ldorado-forum/

I don't think they intend this section for Q and A, just for how to reference write ups.

thomashanlon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville DHS

Hello Markmmj, thank you, I just finished doing this on my 2004 DHS. I had a little trouble with the valet switch, I took the switch apart by mistake but was able to get it back together and working. The white connector was back about 10" from the switch and I did not see it. Thanks for the great instructions, Tom Hanlon, new member

Hi and welcome aboard :-) I'm glad all worked out

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

There are about 4 actuators and they are the same for the 2000-2005 Devilles.

The actuator Mark is talking about is for the rear seat temp control (B0429).

bones0618 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 deville base

which one is for when the driver side works fine but the passenger side only blows hot air thank you

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That would be #15 (RH temp valve actuator)

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...rimLevel=14913
    bones0618 likes this.

bones0618 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 deville base

thanks for the diagram but how do i get to this part
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Good morning, Your last 4 identical questions in "Tech Tips" have been deleted by the site filters.

Please use the Deville forums and either the GM/Helm service manual set or a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com for instructions on removing parts of the dash, glove box, and HVAC stack for air door service. You might try to Google something like "cadillac forums 2002 deville hvac temperature actuator replacement" or something similar. It's all posted in Tech Tips and in Deville - you just need to find it.

Tech Tips is for ....... tips. Please read the text in the forum title banner.

Thanks, CF Staff

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.