dirty hands clean - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, dirty hands clean in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Y'all should try this stuff: http://www.worxtm.com/products/hand_cleaner/index.htm The one I use is a different brand, but its all the same, just ...
    eldorado99 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: dirty hands clean

Y'all should try this stuff: http://www.worxtm.com/products/hand_cleaner/index.htm

The one I use is a different brand, but its all the same, just a green powder you rub on with a bit of water. Best hand cleaner I've ever used, even better than fast orange. And it's non toxic so if you're really really hungry... well never mind.

nigelb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS RHD 194,150 miles. what's a speed limiter???

i use a generic barrier cream. i've found that it kinda works as a soap as well but only if i used it before working.
    i aslo use latex gloves, but they often split at the most dirtiest part of the repair.
    i use just about any household cleaner i can find,
    washing up liquid mixed with clothes detergent
    washing up liquid and dishwasher tablets or powder
    washing up liquid and sugar
    surface cream cleaner
    surface powder cleaner

good job i buy these things at costco

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

It scares me to read some of this stuff!
    There are lots of options, go to a hardware store and buy a box of latex gloves. I like the "powder free" gloves because often times the powdered ones irritate my skin, and drive me nuts when I take them off and my hands are covered with sweaty powder. You can also use the brown "jersey" gloves.
    Please don't use chemicals to clean your skin, brake clean, solvent, gasoline, WD-40, and transmission fluid have solvent type properties, but they can contaminate your blood with stuff that you just don't want in there. Some of that is readily absorbed through your skin. Granted if you don't do it all the time you might be okay from a technical standpoint, but it's really a bad idea.

Over the last dozen or so years I have been wrenching every day, I have found that using a readily available hand cleaner of almost any type works very well in concert with proper hand protection. To look at my hands you'd think I was a surgeon, not a mechanic. I take good care of them, which doesn't include bathing them in chemicals.
    Not to mention the gloves help provide an extra layer of protection while you are working, I have had it "save my skin" quite literally many times. That sharp object or pointy thing that would slice your hand open will attack the glove instead of exposing your veins and draining your blood, not all the time mind you, but it's really saved me in the past.

I hope this info helps someone.
    Thanks for listening.

PS: Read the list of ingredients and the warnings on the cans of what you are spraying on your skin, then look on the internet for MSDS sheets or information on those chemicals from OHSA or a similar organization.

dp102288 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Yeah I have to say a no-no on the chemicals to clean up. I would rather wash 3x with soap. Plus I usually have cuts on my hands, so I owuldn't want to get sick.

nigelb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS RHD 194,150 miles. what's a speed limiter???

when i left school i worked in construction, back then there was no health and safety notices as such on bags of cement and plaster.
    the result is some pretty tough skin, my wife gets burns from bleaching the sink, i don't.
    i suppose it takes different strokes for different folks.
    like i posted, i use barrier cream and gloves for all but the simplest jobs, i think that's the best advice for anyone, cleaning your hands is so much easier if they're not too dirty to start with.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I've been using 5W motor oil and sugar for over 50 years followed by Boraxo hand cleaner with lanolin. If your skin cracks at the nuckles and the quick of your fingernails glue them back together with super glue. If you cut yourself the super glue trick will make it just like it never happened.

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Like nigelb said barrier cream is the best.
    But as all that have and use it know......
    Is best to put it on before your elbow deep in your project.
    Never seem to remember. It always seems to work that way Doh !!

By far the best barrier cream Ive found is a product called PR88.
    Has worked wonders for friends with unbelivably sensitive skin.

Provides an unbelievable barrier to any substances that are not water based.
    Solvents, paint, grease, etc... rinses right off with water.
    No left over residue whatsoever.
    Just clean soft skin.

jimfulco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '96 Eldorado

Excessive soap use can irritate your skin in two ways. It removes natural oil from your skin, and it neutralizes its natural acidity. The less soap you have to use, the better.

For those who don't want to use WD-40 or harsh chemicals to loosen the grease & grime, most any kind of cheap cooking oil or mineral oil will also work, but you'll likely leave an oily film on the doorknob when you go in the house.

I've used el cheapo Wally World olive oil because it didn't taste very good and I'm too cheap to throw it away, and when I was a kid, Dad used Crisco when we got too greasy to go inside.

If you can't find Invisible Glove or Glove Kote where you live, Kerodex-51 is a fairly good barrier cream for oily work, and Kerodex-71 is for wet work. Go to http://www.prestigebrandsinc.com/kerodex.htm for more info. Again, your pharmacist can get them.

From what I've heard, nitrile gloves hold up to chemicals better than latex, and are less irritating. Harbor Freight sells them cheap.

I'd agree the type of hand protection you use should be based on what you are working with.
    Latex won't hold up when exposed to gasoline or transmission fluid. It doesn't hold up too well against straight motor oil either.
    Nitrile holds up better in those instances.
    I go through the latex ones pretty fast, the nitrile ones are really good but I change my gloves too often and I hate throwing away the nitrile gloves because they last for so much longer. The only thing that sucks either way is in the summer, you end up soaking your hands in sweat and when you lift them up over your head it comes running down your arms!

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

I use Gojo or Fast Orange, they both work really great. When things get really dirty, I add powdered soap.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    I'd agree the type of hand protection you use should be based on what you are working with.
    Latex won't hold up when exposed to gasoline or transmission fluid. It doesn't hold up too well against straight motor oil either.
    Nitrile holds up better in those instances.
    I go through the latex ones pretty fast, the nitrile ones are really good but I change my gloves too often and I hate throwing away the nitrile gloves because they last for so much longer. The only thing that sucks either way is in the summer, you end up soaking your hands in sweat and when you lift them up over your head it comes running down your arms!
    You haven't lived until you've worked under a car in sub-zero weather and had -50F antifreeze run down into your armpit. What's neater than that is when gasoline is the liquid and you don't want to get too close to the stove when you go inside to warm up. -50F synthetic gear oil in your ear gets your attention too.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    You haven't lived until you've ......had -50F antifreeze run down into your armpit. ..... -50F synthetic gear oil in your ear gets your attention too.
    Kinky!

I have bathed in some vehicle fluids in cold weather, but not approaching -50.
    I hate working in the cold and snow sometimes.
    I love the snow but the cold makes your hands hurt 20 times worse when you bang them on something.
    Since I gave up side jobs, I don't have so many problems because I have a nice shop to work in.

xxpinballxx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville 1999, 2004

anyone use DL hand cleaner?
    That stuff works real good then all you have to do is wash after with regular soap and get the oily feel off of your hands plus there is a smell most would want washed off too.

stevebuick23 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS, 2000 L67 Regal Beagle

At my shop I have Orange Cleen. Works great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.