rusty bolts removal tips
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, rusty bolts removal tips in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; anyone have any good tips on how to get rusty bolts loose and out without breaking them? i am using ...
    Adumb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Current: 2001 Catera Past: '83 Fleetwood

rusty bolts removal tips

anyone have any good tips on how to get rusty bolts loose and out without breaking them? i am using p.b. blaster, but am hoping maybe some of you have something that can help me. give me anything, thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Re: d*mn rusty bolts

p.b. blaster worked for me after spraying them for 2 weeks. However, you will find that some of them will never get loose no matter what you do (or at least I did). I ended up with 4 that I just couldn't get after 3 weeks of spraying, and eventually torching. Anyways I ended up just snapping them on purpose, taking the manifold off, and then taking the heads to the machine shop to get bored and rethreaded.

If you don't feel like spending any money, i have been told that you can take a cutting torch to them and the steel will melt and the cast iron won't. Not too sure on that one though.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sometimes the "blue tip wrench" (torch) works great if it is in an area that will allow it. Get that bolt red hot and then have at it.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

My favorite chemical brew is Break Free; available at your local gun shop.

yeah, my friend told me today about getting the bolt red hot. i always thought that you heated up the block and not the bolt. maybe both work. thanks for the help

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

I always went for the block, thinking of the law of heat making metal expand. I guess I was thinking the block would expand making the hole for the bolt a bit bigger.

Anyways this way worked alright for me and also lead to the discovery of the condition of my engine and the performance rebuild I am now doing.

lry99eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've found that not all rusted fateners can be treated to remove. When the two metal surfaces get corroded together in such a way heat is the only way to get them to release a bit in order for the penetrant to work it's way into interfering with the bond. Depending on how much time you have, access to the fastener, and so on, I'll heat two surfaces as equally as possible several times. Expansion/contraction IS MOVEMENT, that's what frees up corrosive welds. Just as the metal is cool enough to apply the penetrant I'll soak it, and then repeat as much as 4 or 5 times. I'll then test it first tightening it just to stress the surface tension and the loosen to see if it breaks free. This usually works.
    Then there is the drilling method. Starting with the smallest bit I can and working up to as close to the minor diameter of the bolt/stud as I can. It weakens the structural part of the fastener. That's depending on all other factors too, location, time, tools and place, and so on.
    And as some have mentioned, theres always the acceteline wrench, but if possible I'll grind the head off smooth, remove the unit being held in place, and then work on the remaining fastener to loosen it hopefully saving the internal threads. If it's a through bolt and access to both ends, blow that sucker off and punch it through.
    If all else fails, Heli-Coils are cheap!
    lry99eldo

Ur7x is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Sometimes the "blue tip wrench" (torch) works great if it is in an area that will allow it. Get that bolt red hot and then have at it.
    This and rub some wax on the hot bolt works for me... I've even removed exhaust manifold bolts using this technique.

alright, thanks for the help

digitalcaddie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '02 Escalade

Get yourself a MAPP gas torch for $40 at Lowes...those burn hotter than propane which means you don't have to wait so long when heating things up. Just be careful/aware of what is around whatever bolt you're heating.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: rusty bolts removal tips

Heat the bolt with an acetylene torch until it's red hot. It expands but the bolt is restrained by the metal it is screwed into and collapses on itself. When the bolt cools it contracts and loosens. If you twist the head off anyway the answer is a TIG welder. If the bolt is broken off flush with the surface, build it up with the welder until you can weld a nut to it. When it cools put a wrench on it. If you twist it off again, weld a nut on it again. A rusty twisted off bolt is sometimes loosened by smacking it with a very sturdy punch and hammer to drive it down and make something happen inside. Twisted off manifold bolts can sometimes be removed by building up a lump of brass on the bloody stub and grabbing it with vice grips to twist it out. Which of these techniques you use as well as many others depends on the circumstances. I've been cleaning up other peoples messes for 50 years and have a pretty good reputation in the area. The absolute last resort is drilling and "easyouts". 90% of what can happen is bad.

MonzaRacer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

3 tricks I use pretty much every week if not day. I (if area alllows) heat up the part that the bolt is going into NEVER HEAT A BOLT UNLESS ITS LAST RESORT, it will soften the bolt and guarantee it will twist off.
    OK cheap trick in a pinch a 6 dollar propane torch, a parrafin stick(candle, gulf was cut up)get it hot and wipe some wax on it and let it wick into the threads and keep heating and wiping for a time then give it a shot.
    Another trick I use all the time is to heat the part with the hole in it to cherry read then strt placing synthetic oil on the threded area as it cools it will pull it in and the synthetic oil willlet it work at a hotter temp and still leave it hot to try and move it (and rust is soft metal that will become "ball bearings" on a microscopic level and help it release) and heat and oil and move it and keep it up and usually it works free but you do need good wrenches for this (the 7.99 set from big lots aint gonna cut it).
    A third which I dont like but one of the techs at work will use his air hammer to deform the nut on innter tie rods to free them.My problem is that if the hole in the nut has an internal dent it leaves 2 valleys on each side and lets them lock up even worse and if the person doing it is stupid it can destroy AND lock the nut nearlt permanently.
    Good Luck
    Lee Abbel
    AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

cadinbama is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 sedan deville

i dont think anything beats heat when it comes to rusty bolts... those are my thoughts

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

That's one way to bump a dead thread.......Might also try a product named PB Blaster. It works.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Mouse Milk is the favorite of the aircraft industry. http://www.mousemilk.com/
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.