Difference in "scan" tool and Tech 1 or 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Difference in "scan" tool and Tech 1 or 2 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have an older AutoXray, and recently "loaned" a newer AutoXray from Autozone for free. It lets you scan for ...
    nphoenix is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 deville

Angry Difference in "scan" tool and Tech 1 or 2

I have an older AutoXray, and recently "loaned" a newer AutoXray from Autozone for free. It lets you scan for error codes and clear engine codes but cant access functions like getting into program mode for key FOB's. What products are full featured, preferably PC based to support full access? I saw a Tech 2 for $3700 on EBAY obviously I want a solution for much less. My 04 deville manual is full of steps that require more than scanning for codes with no alternate access.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

agood1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Difference in "scan" tool and Tech 1 or 2

Did you ever find your answer?..I am looking for the same thing.
    Thanks

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The greatest plus for the Tech 1 & 2 would be that they are supported by GM Techlink software. The problem is access to that software. If you aren't a dealer or supported entity, you can't get the software. Then you're stuck with general software that's pretty much the same as anybody else's scanner has. The hot ticket would be to get a Tech 2 and then find a dealer or supported shop that can get you the software.

I thought it was all mandated to be publicly available data. i just got off the phone with AutoXray and they refered me to the dealer for any non "powertrain" engine diagnostics. The scan tools can only read/ clear or monitor some points.

I think this is the tool i need - dont know if anyone rents one. http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/tech2/

Yea, Have you seen the price on that thing? No way I would buy it for the little I would use it...
    If you find a place to rent it...let me know.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Yeap.......the aftermarket scanners only cover powertrain diagnostics.

If you look at any GM service manual....the diagnostics have you plug in a GM Tech 2 for just about any issue.

If you work on GM.....you must have a Tech 2.

The Tech 2 does use a memory card that can be updated by simply plugging into another Tech 2 that has been updated. 4-5 minute procedure.

The Cadillacs DO offer self diagnostics via the cluster. You may want to look into that angle.

GM Tech 2....this one is ours....

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.crashdatainfo.com

I decided to buy www.autotap.com. I know it is not tech2, but it will have to do for me. I saw Bruce Bonebrake use this on Weekend Mechanic and it looked really cool and gave lots of information...(with the added modules). I also downloaded the demo and like the way it looks....I should recieve it this week and plan on using it right away. I will try to post here my findings.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Beginning in 2004, Cadillac no longer provides diagnostic code readout through the instrument panel - you have to have an aftermarket code reader. As indicated in other posts to this thread, most of the inexpensive (< $500) aftermarket tools do not provide the capability of reprogramming or otherwise altering the computer settings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.