N* Head Gasket repair - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, N* Head Gasket repair in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Dam, I really hope my dhs doesnt blow a head gasket. Is there any way to prevent it? Is it ...
    dhs
    dhs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: N* Head Gasket repair

Dam, I really hope my dhs doesnt blow a head gasket. Is there any way to prevent it? Is it just me or do sevilles have more head gasket problems then devilles? Also I had a coolant leak, so the machanic put in the pellets, but there is way too much coolant int the system, he told me to leave it like that, is he right? Can it cause a blown gasket if theres too much pressure in the cooling system?

cbellpeanut is offline Cadillac Owners Member

the body of your car doesnt matter,its the n* engine.they say if u change your coolant every 2 yrs. u should be ok.and add the gm pellets. it seems they could make a stronger gasket.thats a couple of thousands or more $$$ repair for a $25.00 head gasket. i just done mine,and everything else i could do while the engine was out.hell to change the oil pan gasket i hear is about $2000.00. now that my engine is out i can see why

dhs
    dhs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2000 just for one gasket? I feel like I'm going to throw up, I'm paying 700 a month and this car is now off the warranty. I really don't want to get rid of it, so should I try to take out an extended warranty? How does that work? Do they inspect your car before they let you buy the warranty? I'm really not looking forward to a gasket failure. Would you say it's just a matter of time before it goes?

youngvic812 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Is there any positive feedback on those head gasket cures in a bottle. that stuff only cost like 150 compared to replacing the gasket all together which would cost me over 1500. i would like to install a new gasket myself but i think i would need physical help, ive only worked on my 87 5.0 mustang and that is way different then the northstar engine. I wish there was a video i can buy so i can just do it myself, i have a little time.

white97deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by youngvic812
    Is there any positive feedback on those head gasket cures in a bottle. that stuff only cost like 150 compared to replacing the gasket all together which would cost me over 1500. i would like to install a new gasket myself but i think i would need physical help, ive only worked on my 87 5.0 mustang and that is way different then the northstar engine. I wish there was a video i can buy so i can just do it myself, i have a little time.

Nothing out of any bottle of snake oil will cure a failed gasket on your northstar engine or any other. All the information that you will need to know is on this website (use the search features). You will also need the factory manuals for your year car...not Chilton's or Hayne's. You can find them on Ebay or Helms website. Good luck.

ToolnDie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

94 Eldorado 87,000 head gasket not an EZ job but well worth it in the end. Replaced everything as needed body mounts engine mounts all gaskets and steel lines O ring's A/C assem. Car run's great now. What ever you think in time to do double it.

JaxxMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Concours

zonie77

I'm about start this repair on a project car I picked up (finally) which already had blown gaskets. (Milky oil) I got the car very cheap.

Any thoughts on replacing timing chains & cam sprokets ? or other hard parts.
    I understand new seals all round is a good idea, from what I've read here.
    Car history not well known but has a new factory tranny.
    It's a 94 with aprox. 124,000 miles

I am trying something different regarding the headbolts, after time-serting I plan on using ARP head studs. I put a post about the studs in the Tech Tips thread with part #'s.

Thx in advance.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

The timing chains and tensioners should be lifetime. They may show some wear grooves but if there's nylon on the guide they're good.

Many of the gaskets are rubber and "lifetime". We changed most of them as they are pretty hard at 10+ yrs and why chance leaks. As you disassemble it inspect them and decide which should be replaced.

If the threads in the block are bad you have to timesert to repair them. If they look good then studs should work.

Geraldius is offline Cadillac Owners Member

N* Head Gasket repair without engine removal

I'm just about finished doing the head gasket job on my son's '97 SLS, without removing the engine. It has been one of the most nightmarishly difficult repairs I've ever done.

We had no room to drop the powertrain cradle because the car had to be rolled in and out of the garage during the course of the many days working on it. Just writing this to affirm that it can be done. There are many tricks that need to be employed to pull it off.

* We Timeserted all 20 head bolt holes. This had to be done since at least 40% of the bolt threads were bad. The drilling for the rear Timeserts is done using a 3/8 drive air ratchet to spin the drill in the cramped space.

* The engine must be rocked forward to get enough clearance to do the rear head.

* You need slender arms and dextrous fingers to get into some tight spots and be able to work by 'feel'.

* Releasing the timing chain tensioners and holding them in the retracted position for reassembly is tricky. It can be done with some clever placement of a long thin welding rod wire.

* Since there will be no access to the internals of the engine behind the front cover, special care must be taken to insure proper cam timing and making sure the crank position stays with cyl #1 at TDC. Make some external timing marks on the crank pully and front cover.

* Its probably a good idea to change out the back HO2 sensor while the head is off and you have access.

* Don't drop anything inside the engine while working on it or you will be removing the engine after all.

* It is not a job for newbies or those with little experience.

* Be sure there is no one nearby who may be sensitive to hearing a lot of swearing .

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Geezus what a friggin NIGHTMARE!

ramdge is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 1995 STS

Geraldius,

I am also in the process of finishing up the timesert process on my 1995 STS.

I did drop the cradle and was able to do all the work with easy access to all
    the parts. Even with the cradle out it was still hard to get to some parts.

I can't imagine the headaches that you ran into trying to timesert the heads
    in the car. It's nice that you took the time to let people know that it can
    be done and to let them know about the tricks that you used.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

So if you found a N* with a blown gasket, what price would you pay for it?

What price on the car would make it worth it?

ramdge is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 1995 STS

I paid $1500 for my 1995 STS. I thought that was a really good deal. It was
    still driveable but only for 10-15 miles before it started getting hot.

I think it depends on whether you can fix the car yourself. If you have to
    pay to have it fixed your are probably looking at 2000-4000 dollars which
    makes it not such a good deal.

If you have the time and money to fix it, I think cost wise it will be
    about $1000 or less.

That makes my 1995 a good deal at $2500 total.

A word of warning though is that car problems can always turn out to
    be more costly to fix than anticipated because the damage can be more
    severe than you thought. For instance, if the timesert process doesn't
    fix the block then you will most likely have to buy a complete used
    motor.

I'm hoping my repair will fix mine but I won't know until I get it back
    in and running.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Hmm, wonder if I can fit an LT1 or a 5.3L LS1 into a STS..... They are dirt cheap in comparisson.

JaxxMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Concours

I just started this job I need help! I forgot my service manuals at home. (Yes I really own a pair)

1.)I'm stuck around the ABS module, mine seems to be wired directly to the harness. Also it is in the way when I lift the car.

2.)The wiring harness itself in the same area as the ABS. How the heck do you get in there to remove it ?

There has got to be an easier way to remove the harness then what I am doing. My brother thought we could dissconnect it at the firewall but it doesn't look like the connector can come apart there.

Anyone have some tips they can pass along. I really want to get the engine out today.
    TIA JaxxMan

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.