remember to check your brakes.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, remember to check your brakes. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; the other day, i learned a rather expensive lesson. i noticed when i drove my car, she had a loud ...
    illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Exclamation remember to check your brakes.

the other day, i learned a rather expensive lesson. i noticed when i drove my car, she had a loud rubbing soung coming from the front-drivers wheel. i didn't think much of it, but as the day wore on, it got worse. i went to my mothers to do my laundry when i decided to check it out: my drivers-side rotor was grooved to hell! i didn't even have to take the wheel off to see through the spokes of the rim.

when i took the wheel off, sure enough, i had neglected to check my brake pads for well over 2 years! the last time i changed them was before my sisters wedding, in june 2002. considering my driving habits, i should have checked the pads long before; i should have checked them once per year, at least. there was nothing left but the steel backing to the pads, which was the primary cause of the grooving into the rotors.

i went ahead and replaced the rotor and both sides of pads, but had to spend nearly $60.00 to do so. this could have been avoided if i would have checked the pads earlier.

BTW, there is usually a high-pitched scraping sound when they get low, but alas, mine did not do that. so to be on the safe side CHECK YOUR BRAKES! it isn't worth it to have an accident or even worse. this rule may help too especially if your driving habits warrant.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jimn is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: remember to check your brakes.

i went ahead and replaced the rotor and both sides of pads, but had to spend nearly $60.00 to do so. this could have been avoided if i would have checked the pads earlier.

BTW, there is usually a high-pitched scraping sound when they get low, but alas, mine did not do that. so to be on the safe side CHECK YOUR BRAKES! it isn't worth it to have an accident or even worse. this rule may help too especially if your driving habits warrant.[/QUOTE]

]Where can I buy rotors and pads for 60 bucks.. the last time (1997) I had rotors installed (1990 Pontiac Grand Prix) ... they were 200 bucks a piece.

If your rotors were this badly grooved then your brakes were well worn for much lionger than one day.

I check my pads at every oil change.. and replace whenever suspicious. Brake failure is entirely preventable.

an01sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you pads have been installed professionally, here is one reason why the wear indicators may not sound: Some professionals will tweak the indicator outboard so that it won't contact the rotor, allowing the pads to make metal to metal contact without sounding. Gee! I wonder why a professional would bend the indicators outboard?

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Quote Originally Posted by an01sts
    If you pads have been installed professionally, here is one reason why the wear indicators may not sound: Some professionals will tweak the indicator outboard so that it won't contact the rotor, allowing the pads to make metal to metal contact without sounding. Gee! I wonder why a professional would bend the indicators outboard?
    nah, no professional did them, just me. i will NEVER trust a professional with my automobiles. i prefer to fix them on my own; it's cheaper and i know how i like things done. i do all of my own work, from brakes to complete engine rebuilds. in this case, i just neglected to check the brakes for some time.

the wear indicators probably did sound, but my exhaust may have muffled the sound; i just don't know. that said, knowing my driving habits and all, i should have been more cautious.

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

Where can I buy rotors and pads for 60 bucks.. the last time (1997) I had rotors installed (1990 Pontiac Grand Prix) ... they were 200 bucks a piece.

It all depends on what type, and manufacturer of brake pads are used, which will in effect determine price.

Brand New front rotors for my 1991 Seville were $12 or $14 US dollars each from my local auto supply store. Unless you have a run-out problem, there is no good reason to turn a rotor for a 1991 Cadillac Eldorado/Seville.

$30 for two front rotors, $30 for brand name brake pads is not an unusually low price but more the norm. This is a DIY (Do It Yourself), get your hands nice and dirty type service. If that is not your cup of tea, then maybe paying someone else four times that amount is worth it! After all, what is so bad about sipping a cup of Starbucks while some flunky leaves greasy fingerprints all over your steering wheel? Works for me... napkins are free at Starbucks! LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.