Digital Dash Repair - Ideas how to resolve speedometer and cluster problems - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Digital Dash Repair - Ideas how to resolve speedometer and cluster problems in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I Have 2 1993 Cadillac Fleetwoods Rwd. I Have The Same Problem With Both Cars. At First They Would Flicker ...
    DAVE C. is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Digital Dash Repair Tips - Ideas how to resolve speedometer and cluster problems

I Have 2 1993 Cadillac Fleetwoods Rwd. I Have The Same Problem With Both Cars. At First They Would Flicker Out And When You Hit A Bump They Would Come Back On. Now It's Gone Out Completely. I Saw You Talking About The Ground Strap, I Wonder Could That Be The Problem, Because I Couldn't find The Strap On My Car. Did You Say It Sould Be Between The Starter And Block To The Body of the car ? I Know You Have The 92 Fwd, But I Was Wondering If You Could You Help Me With My Problem?
    Thanks, Dave C.

HardKore is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Digital Dash Repair Tips - Ideas how to resolve speedometer and cluster problems

Hey guys

I have an 86 deville 4.1 FWD. I dont have the flickering problem; I have the "It just completely went out on me after I installed a new radio into my dash" problem :|

I didnt hit any wires that would effect the cluster tho, so I am not sure if I actually did anything wrong, or if it was just a cooincidence (I installed it, they still worked, pulled the radio out because my antenna wasnt connected properly, put it back in, and the cluster doesnt work anymore)

its' weird tho, because when I first hit the ignition to start the car, a few of the lights in the cluster flash on then off very quickly, and when I shut the ignition off, almost all the lights flicker on then off very quickly once again

any ideas on what this could be? :|

Thanks, Norman C. - normass@hotmail.com

James86coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ok, well i just bought a 1986 Coupe DeVille and i was installing a new JVC cd player and i have the wiring harness and the mounting kit and the install went smoothly, but then the deck was on and when i turned the volume up to 30 or above the deck was starting to pop on and off and it did this a couple times and before i could get it shut off the deck went off and this time it took the digital gauges, the fuel gauge and the climate controls, and i checked all the fuses in the box underneath the dash on the drivers side, and all of them are fine, and the fuse in the cd player is fine, so i know the deck isnt fried and i figured out that i had contacted my yellow constant wire to an orange/black wire, but now i hooked up the constant to an orange wire and the cd player turns on and works great, but my digital fuel guage and digital climate controls still dont turn on any help would be great before i break down and take it to a shop

bosch is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The digital instrument cluster on my 87 Cimarron went out a couple months ago. Just before it went out the trip kept reseting to zero every 15 - 30 seconds of driving. The odometer was already not working. It quit like a year ago and showed Error, but that did not bother me since the car has 200K on it. I purchased another instrument cluster just to find that it does not work either. The old one I found will come on every once in a awhile but once again the trip keeps going to zero on it. The new one does nothing except flicker when you swith the key on or off. I will say this the low fuel light comes on when the cluster is not working and sometimes if you press the E/M button it will come on with 0000000 for miles and 1000.0K for trip. This applies to the new instrument cluster as well. I have the dash tore all to pieces right now in the car. Is their a relay or anything that I should be looking for in the circuit and if so where is it. I am thinking it is a power problem. I have already checked all the ground straps under the hood.

05ohiodeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'm having an issue with the display in my 05 Deville. About every 4th start, certain parts of the display - the fuel amount, the Ave MPG read-out and miles left, the engine temp guage, the gear selector will not show, but the rest of the display, speed, etc. will. Also the vehicle will indicate that all monitored systems need to be serviced (i.e. tire pressure monitor, etc.). These problems are not noticed until the vehicle is started. Also when it is started, it shuts down the radio for some reason. If I let it sit for a few minutes, say 10, and then restart it, this problem does away. Even if these problems appear, the vehicle is still driveable, although you have to guess what gear you're in. Does you have any suggested fixes. The dealer has replaced the ignition switch already. Any help would be appriciated.

The93Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just started having some similar problems this morning.

I have a 1993 Sedan Deville with a digital dash. Today for no apparent reason, when I started the car, the speedometer, radio, AC, fuel data, etc went blank. Then everything clicked back on. Then off again. This continued while various warning lights went on and off. I noticed that this happens even without starting the car. All I have to do is turn the electric on, and the whole dash goes haywire. Both the fuel and AC just have a "d" on the readout. Also, the defrost comes on full blast, and there's no way to turn it off. When everything finally goes back to normal, the AC reads 75 deg. This happened all 4 times I drove the car today. Each time, after about 15 minutes, it is okay again.

I'm not very smart when it comes to working on cars. And I don't have much $ for a couple more weeks. Is it safe to keep driving the way it is?

iNdy.j is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Great tips here. There isn't anything here that helps out the 1985-90 cadillacs that are having the same problems with instrument panels tho. I have been posting questions for some time now about this. I even searched the forum and I couldn't find any topic but this one. No one has ever answered or seems to know how to answer this problem for the older cady's. When it's brought up, the topic goes dead. I guess there are a lot of newer cady owners than old here. A GM manual will not help, the best that does is let you know where your fuses are. Taking it in seems to be the only answer I have seen that made sense for my cady. I come here first in hopes of the more savy cady owners help to try and fix the problem myself and avoid labor charges. You cannot learn without being taught. It's okay if you don't know. But knowing that is atleast better than not hearing from anyone at all about it.

The93Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well, it's 3 months later, and I'm finally getting the Caddy fixed. At the dealer. I dropped it off this morning, and they just called me with the diagnosis. It needs a new body control module. With tax, it'll be around $470. I know it's high, but I am tired of driving without a speedometer/fuel guage/temp control, etc. Plus, the blower was staying on, even after I turn off the car. So I was having to unhook the positive battery cable every time I go somewhere.

MiamiConcours94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 concours

Hey guys. I know of a place in south carolina. Called Southern Electronics. these guys are very well known on the east coast. They rebuild Clusters of all types. Analog, digital, vacuum, ect. They are famous for rebuilding corvette digital, and cadillac digital clusters. Two, clusters notorious for their issues.

Their phone # is 1-800-572-2880

their web page is: www.instrumentcluster.com

Give them a shot if all else fails. They actually do most of the work on older clusters for the dealership I used to work for (Williamson Cadillac). There not cheap, but not extremely pricey either.

sunnybruno is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Here is a link to a picture of the dash repair described above.

Dash Repair Picture

You can see I carefully removed the circuit boards and unfolded and taped them onto a piece of wood about a yard (meter) long. Then I put it in the car so I could diagnose it. I pulled the Air bag fuse and unplugged the airbag connector below the steering column. After I connected the dash cables, I reinstalled the DASH fuses and started the car. I was able to work on the dash this way.

Note: You can see I removed the needles and face plate to do a thorough inspection. If I were doing it again I would NOT remove this portion unless all other investigation fails. I had to play around with adjusting the needles.
    hi I know this is a very old post but I have a 94 Eldorado with the exact same issue had it apart and didn't see anything had to reassemble so
    owner could get to work really need to see your picture of the repair but can't get your link to work if anyone saved these pic's please post or contact me thanks sunnybruno
    me

sunnybruno is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hi I know this is a very old thread but I was hoping that someone could help me i'm trying to get mark g's pic's of his repair
    I have the same exact issues in a 94 Eldorado had it apart but didn't see what mark was seeing the pic's would help greatly
    as i'msure this is the problem so if someone saved these pic's or has a link to them that works please contact me sunnybruno
    sunnybruno@gmail.com

richrd is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1992 cad. fleetwood:no hvac panel lites, fuel very dim, speedo part of dash comes on at ign. goes out when engine starts. now with engine off u can rotate ignition switch quickly on off and the panels will lite and instantly off, even fuel gauge lites up momentarly. ... ignition switch or ground problem?

courtneyk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

2000 Deville. Just had the engine replaced not the digital temp gauge is not working. All other parts of the digital dash are working. PLEASE HELP!!! I don't want the engine to overheat and have to buy another engine!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.