Exterior Window Trim Removal C Body 1985-93
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Exterior Window Trim Removal C Body 1985-93 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I tried to start a new thread in tech tips on this but it won't let me. Maybe a moderator ...
    dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Exterior Window Trim Removal C Body 1985-93

I tried to start a new thread in tech tips on this but it won't let me. Maybe a moderator can edit and move it.

Anyway, I've had people ask me how to take the exterior window trim off without breaking it. The trim is diecast and fragile. If pryed on the wrong way, it will snap in two. So I made a tool to remove the clips without damaging the frame or the window channel.

First thing to do is get the window down all the way. Remove the interior door panel assembly. Next remove the review mirror, it has 3 nuts on studs and depending on the option up to 2 wire connectors. Early models might have the adjust by cable instead of the electric motors in the mirror head. Removal of the window channel is not necessary. Removal of the seal around the outer circumference does not need to be removed. From the outside push the rubber on the outside of the window channel down from the trim as shown in photo below.

I modified and old screw driver on the end to pull the clip holding the trim off the lip on the door. I used a cutoff disc in a dremel to cut a groove in the end of the screwdriver. It is the shape of a hook somewhat. Shown below

Stick the tool up along the clip on the inside and pull down on it until it, the clip, pops off the lip of the door.

I have tried removing the frame from the clip on the door, but it always breaks the trim piece. So I came up with this method. Here is a couple of pics of the trim piece with the clips on the frame.

The clips only go around the front top and back side. There are none at the bottom. When you get all of the clips off the upper part, the trim piece with the wiper lifts out. To reinstall, place the clips on the door in their original location. Remove the seal around the outer edge of the trim piece and snap the trim piece back onto the clips. Install the seal around the trim and then install the rear view mirror.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Exterior Window Trim Removal C Body 1985-93

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: Exterior Window Trim Removal C Body 1985-93

Thanks Ranger.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.