2000-2005 Deville - Heater/AC blower motor problems - Quick Fix
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, 2000-2005 Deville - Heater/AC blower motor problems - Quick Fix in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; This was a quick fix that I did to restore function to my blower motor. Just wanted to post this ...
    MinnesotaDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White 2002 Cadillac Deville, Cream color soft top

Smile 2000-2005 Deville - Heater/AC blower motor problems - Quick Fix

This was a quick fix that I did to restore function to my blower motor. Just wanted to post this because I noticed a lot of threads pleading for help but really no solutions. This is just one thing to check before ordering a new blower motor.

Symptoms I was having
    - Blower motor not working, minute heat or no air blowing out the dash/defrosters/floor. ect...
    - Occasionally works turns on and off
    - Slamming the right hand side passenger door would temporarily fix the problem
    - Tapping on the blower motor metal housing with the handle of a screw driver would temporarily fix the problem
    - Wiggle the blower motor power source - Blower motor turns on and off
    - Wiggle the housing - Blower motor turns on and off

Quick Fix - Take blower motor out from underneath the dash (passengers side - 3 screws). Took the metal housing off the bottom of the motor so you can see the brushes and the copper color metal that they come in contact with. I took a small file and filed the brushes slightly. Then I took the file and filed away the musty tarnished brass/copper or what ever the metal is. Got it nice and shiny again. The sub housing that holds the brushes, remove that from the main housing. You will need to pinch the brushes to retract the springs so you can get the sub housing back on the contact. Then put the main cover or housing 2 screws back on, plug the blower motor back in and she should start spinning. That was just my case and what I did to fix it. If you have some of the symptoms above you might want to try it. It will save you some $$$ about $250 from the stealership.. Ebay has new motors for about $50. This whole ordeal took me about 45 mins with a broken knee... Anyone is capable...

Hope this helps as thats all I am trying to do, I know my parts terminology is not up to par... GOOD LUCK!!!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Re: 2002 Cadillac Deville - Heater/AC blower motor problems - Quick Fix

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDeville View Post
    Take blower motor out from underneath the dash (passengers side - 3 screws)... This whole ordeal took me about 45 mins with a broken knee... Anyone is capable...
    Nice fix... I see that you are one of the lucky 2002 Deville owners that has the design 2 blower assembly. What's the build date on your car?

Design #1 ran from 2000-2002 and is a PIA to change... more than 3 screws and the assembly is too large to pull from under the dash... hence the design change.

Design #2 ran from 2002-2005 and has a much smaller housing and simple to change (only 3 screws).

The usual problem with the design #1 blowers is a broken wire (bare copper) that runs to one of the motors brushes.

snapr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2000-2005 Cadillac Deville - Heater/AC blower motor problems - Quick Fix

If you have design #1, how can you do without being avble to pull from under dash. UGGGG!

kevphill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS

Followed your directions and saved two hour labor and $380 in parts. Thanks.
    kp

szglvs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 SLS

This worked out great for me too.
    Thank you so much.
    2004 Cadillac Deville

whb
    whb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 deville

Re: 2000-2005 Deville - Heater/AC blower motor problems - Quick Fix

What do you remove to get to the blower motor?

raceking is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DHS

Worked for me as well...Thanks
    2005 DHS

cady29204 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville

Thanks for the instructions with pics. I had the exact symptoms with my 2003 Deville blower motor. I followed your advice. Its been working fine since. I was tapping the motor housing several times each week before.

Jamer567 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you so much for your illustration!! Worked perfectly!

redfishsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS

My blower has been acting up lately (2003), sometimes giving me half the air flow, and today it just crapped completely.

Seeing your advice here, I went and cranked the car and left the AC running, and slammed the passenger door. Blower came on magically lol.

So I guess I know what my Saturday afternoon project will be. I'll report back here when I complete it.

Oddly, the EXACT same problem just started on my old 1990 GMC 1500 a month ago. The AC hasn't worked in years so I haven't messed with it, but with winter coming I'm going to need the fan for the defrost. Hoping it's the same problem. If anyone here has replaced a blower in an early 90's GM C/K series, I would appreciate a PM from you thanks!

redfishsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DHS

Finally got a chance to actually fix this today, worked like a charm. Thanks for posting this. As long as you don't mind laying down on your back, in the seat, head under the dash, this really is a straightforward project.

Two small bolts hold on the plastic shroud-- three bolts hold in the blower motor (along with an electric pigtail and a vent hose), and two screws to access the inner parts of the motor.

I cleaned the contact/brushes with 320g sandpaper, and blew it out thoroughly. It was VERY cruddy.

bellguy24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

Thanks very much Minnesota!
    Just fixed my Dad's '03 Talisman before he heads to Fla. Probably the easiest repair I have ever done on a GM.
    Definitely worth trying to fix it before buying a new one. Nothing to lose.
    (It sounds a little noisier now but at least it works. Told him to turn up the radio...lol)

Jawbone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Cleaning the brushes worked for me too...great fix, Thanks for posting. I had to same exact symptoms -intermittent, slamming passenger door- My car 2005 Deville....One note: the caddy factory service manual has you removing half the dashboard to gain access to this blower motor. Not necessary. Just follow the instructions in these posts to remove the blower. 1) remove kick panel under glove box- 2 screws-. 2) remove electrical connector from blower motor. 3) slide off and remove small rubber vent tube from blower motor. 4) remove 3 mounting screws to remover blower motor...That simple. Thanks again for this excellent repair info!!!

mn_vette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '03 Deville

Add me to the list of the people that this has worked for. Thanks for posting this. Mine was also very cruddy and my contacts had worn down enough to fit the curve of the shaft. I sanded them back into a square shape and cleaned up the shaft. Everythign is nice and shiney now and the blower works great. You can imagine how annoying it is to have a blower that doesn't work when you need to go to work early on a cold November morning in Michigan.

fredjh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DTS

Me too. Believe me I am not a mechanic but this was really straight forward. Hardest part was getting the screws started on the reinstall, but isn't that always the case. Used a Dremel tool to clean things up, but be cautious as the brushes are quite soft. Two hints for the auto knowledge impaired like me. 1. the blower is directly below the glove box. 2. Compressing the brushes for the re-assembly is tricky. No room. I took one of the little cartons that butter sticks come in. Cut two strips the length of the carton and about 1/2 - 3/4 inches wide. Put two folds so one end would cover the brushes and come up around the outside so they could be held in place as the cap is slipped over the rotor. Because the carton material is thin and slippery the brushes slide easily over the lip of the rotor. Just after they have started over the rotor just pull the strips out. Thanks to all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.