Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Repair Your Rear-Seat Pass-Through Door Latch in a Few Minutes

13K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Long 
#1 · (Edited)
For the last 7 or 8 years I have learned a whole lot and contributed a little. Now it’s my turn to return the favor by showing you how to repair that latch that holds the Pass Through Door closed in just a few minutes.

In pic 1 you see the latch. Gently, with your thumb press in and down on the cover, see pic 2.
View attachment 78208 View attachment 78209

Pic 3 shows the latch with the cover removed, and you can see the spring that is usually missing, causing the whole problem.
View attachment 78210

Pic 4 shows what’s under the cover – the black thing is connected to the cable. When the cable is pulled, the black wedge moves to the left, pulling the latch up, releasing the door.
View attachment 78211

Pic 5 shows the latch with the replacement spring. The spring sits on a little plastic tip. Pic 6 shows the spring in place.
View attachment 78212 View attachment 78213

STEP 7 - refer to pic 3 - shows the latch and spring in place, now just slide the cover back up and you are done.

you say "OK - GREAT but where do I get the spring?"

The spring is larger in diameter, a little longer, and a little stronger than a regular ball point pen spring. What I found is that the spring from a “BIC PILOT G-2 05” was the perfect diameter, but a little short, so I stretched it a little to make it a total of 1 inch long – PERFECT!

I hope this helps someone out.

See less See more
#8 ·
For the last 7 or 8 years I have learned a whole lot and contributed a little. Now it’s my turn to return the favor by showing you how to repair that latch that holds the Pass Through Door closed in just a few minutes.

In pic 1 you see the latch. Gently, with your thumb press in and down on the cover, see pic 2.

Pic 3 shows the latch with the cover removed, and you can see the spring that is usually missing, causing the whole problem.
View attachment 78210

Pic 4 shows what’s under the cover – the black thing is connected to the cable. When the cable is pulled, the black wedge moves to the left, pulling the latch up, releasing the door.
View attachment 78211

Pic 5 shows the latch with the replacement spring. The spring sits on a little plastic tip. Pic 6 shows the spring in place.

STEP 7 - refer to pic 3 - shows the latch and spring in place, now just slide the cover back up and you are done.

The spring is larger in diameter, a little longer, and a little stronger than a regular ballpoint pen spring. What I found is that the spring from a “BIC PILOT G-2 05” was the perfect diameter, but a little short, so I stretched it a little to make it a total of 1 inch long – PERFECT!

View attachment 78210

View attachment 78211

The spring is larger in diameter, a little longer, and a little stronger than a regular ball point pen spring. What I found is that the spring from a “BIC PILOT G-2 05” was the perfect diameter, but a little short, so I stretched it a little to make it a total of 1 inch long – PERFECT!

They're up in his albums - Community tab ^^^, Albums, rear seat pass-through.

If the album has gone to History there, click his username, open the profile. Left column, Albums.

View attachment 78210

View attachment 78211

Hi, my name is Aidan i'm a high schooler from massachusetts and my friend recently broke my rear center pass through and the description on how to fix it is helpful! But the pictures seem to be corrupted since they are so old, if you could can you repost the pictures, I love my 2007 DTS and I hate having things broken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.