Mode Door Actuator Fix - How-To
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Mode Door Actuator Fix - How-To in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; With the priceless help of Ranger and ewill3rd, I was able to easily and confidently repair my Mode Door Actuator. ...
    jrdubhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Mode Door Actuator Fix - How-To

With the priceless help of Ranger and ewill3rd, I was able to easily and confidently repair my Mode Door Actuator. My problem of not getting any air out through the vents (hot or cold) is finally over. Here is how I did it.

This is the part you'll need. I got mine from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product AC Delco p/n 15-72654. You can also get it from Rippypartsmaster (Chris Heath) or Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac up in the Vendors threads

First off, you're gonna need the proper tools. Otherwise this job won't be nearly as fun.

more tools...the thumb ratchet is invaluable

Here's the assembly out of the box as it arrived

Okay, now to disassemble the new part. You'll need the ratchet and 5.5mm socket.

Grab that pry bar...

All done. Now let's go to the car!

In the car, it'll help to remove the knee bolster. If I remember correctly it's only a couple of screws and the other part just snaps off. Simply pull directly (horizontally) towards the back of the car (not up or down) It's still tight but doable. Grab the flashlight and have the rest of the tools handy. You're gonna be on your back and/or knees for a while. This first actuator is NOT the one we're replacing. I removed it for ease of access, but you don't have to do it if you don't want to. If you do...disconnect the harness FIRST.

Here's the guilty actuator. Disconnect the harness first of all. There are three screws holding it in place. DO NOT touch the screws holding the plate in place. Only the three screws that hold the actuator in place. Seriously, I can't stress this enough. Removing the whole assembly has meant HELL for other members here. Learn from their suffering.

Grab that pry bar again. This time it'll be a squeeze, but you can do it. Remember not to force it. Twisting the pry bar as opposed to the "normal" way of using the pry bar works beautifully. Also, if you did remove the first actuator, keep track of them. They look similar. You don't want to mix them up. They wouldn't fit but still. Don't confuse yourself. The "good" one we removed for access has a "W" on it. The bad one we're replacing has a "CB" on it.

Once the bad actuator is off, simply grab the new one and it's the reversal of removing it. Put it in place, place the screws by hand in their holes and "finger start" them. Tighten with the thumb ratchet. Don't over tighten. Don't plug the harness yet. Place the first ("W") actuator back in place. "Hand start" the two screws and tighten with the thumb ratchet. Don't over tighten. NOW...you can plug both harnesses back in. Start the car and let it get to know the new actuator. Give it a few minutes and try to switch to the dash vents. You'll feel that wonderful breeze reward you with a blast of cool air!!
    Hope this helps someone.

shout outs to Ranger, ewill3rd, submariner and rippypartsmaster.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dougndiya is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Mode Door Actuator Fix - How-To

Wow this is exactly what I needed to fix my 01 Deville. Only problem is I have never worked on my Deville and although the pics and instructions on replacing the actuator are great, how about a pic or two and some instructions on where it is and how to get to it? Only thing mentioned is knee bolster???

willybears is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 De Ville

Great instructions and photos. My 2001 had a floor heater duct with Flange that was right in the way. I'm not sure if others ran into this or not. I figured that I could neatly cut the flange and replace it with some strong adhesive after R&R of the actuator.

Now that I have replaced the actuator though, I now have another problem. Before replacing the actuator, we had only floor air or defrost....No AC Vents. Now with the actuator replaced (thanks to the great thread) I now only have AC vents and little or no floor vent air and no defrost air. I can see the actuator moving the control wheel but it does not move very far . Any Suggestions????

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by willybears View Post
    I can see the actuator moving the control wheel but it does not move very far . Any Suggestions????
    It sounds like one of the cam followers may not be riding in the groove on the big white wheel. Your going to need to pull the actuator back off the assembly. Once you do this you should be able to turn the big white wheel by hand. It should turn easily... rotate the wheel thru full travel with the HVAC fan on and ensure that air is re-directed from the defrost to dash vents to floor. If you feel any mechanical binding or resistance your going to need to find out whats causing it.... the most likely being one of the cam followers or plastic arms is out of the track on the back side of the wheel.

Be extremely careful if you need to peek behind the wheel to examine the monkey motion... if the cam followers or plastic arms fall off... it will be very difficult to figure out where they go and how they line up... been there done that and I don't wish it upon anyone.

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by willybears View Post
    My 2001 had a floor heater duct with Flange that was right in the way. I'm not sure if others ran into this or not.
    It's much easier if you remove the duct... it's fairly easy to cut out... just be sure to remove the small temp sensor in the duct before doing so by rotating it a quarter of a turn. I reattached my duct with the metal foil tape that's used to seal duct-work on home HVAC systems.

willybears is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 De Ville

Thanks for the post 00 Deville. During the install of the new actuator, I had to move the wheel with the actuator attached only to the center shaft of the wheel, just to get the bolt holes on the actuator to line up with the appropriate holes. What may have happened....and I pray this isn't the case, is that while trying to free the old actuator from the wheel, I may have pried the actuator rather that twisting the screw driver between the WheeL and actuator. I will post the results of manually moving the wheel, but it may be a week or two before I get back to it. Good news is that my wife will be much happier with the AC vents working in the Alabama heat that is getting ready to hit us

tutball is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 AND 2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE

This is exactly what I needed. BIG Thanks to everyone who had posted on this topic.

dougndiya is offline Cadillac Owners Member

For anyone now looking to replace the mode door actuator...On many GM cars with the actuator with plastic gear, the part has been changed and you must now replace the entire assembly and not just the actuator. Check with your dealer. My '01 Deville is one of the cars with the new part. The old actuator is no longer available. The old part is pictured on the left and replacement part on right.

deeteeess2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

I just finished replacing the mode actuator on my 01 DTS and I want to give a big thanks to all who led the way on this. Well done. From my just completed job I wanted to share a few experiences.

1. Cutting off a portion of the driver's side foot well duct as others have stated is critical, at least for a DTS. I dittzed around trying to see if there was a way to avoid this. Nope. Just cut off the flaired portion of the driver's side duct (leaving the sensor hole intact!) and you'll find that the actuator is right there behind and above the remaining duct. I used a hack saw blade that is mounted on one of those inexpensive adjustable handle things and it worked like a charm. Took only a couple of minutes or so.

2. If you don't have a thumb ratchet or a thumb driver, be sure to get one. I got mine at Loew's for just few bucks. I was able to reach all three of the mounting screws with it and it worked great. I used some putty in the 5.5mm socket end to help hold the mounting screws. Tried to magnetize them but with no luck. Start with the hardest to reach screws first and be sure to get all three going before final snugging.

3. In trying to pop the old actuator off of the cam, I placed my long reach screwdriver so that the handle was console-side of the accelerator pedal which then points the screwdriver tip to a great location on the actuator where you can twist the screwdriver and remove the actuator from the cam. To keep everything in place, I used my left hand to work the long screwdriver between the cam and the actuator and with my right hand, I used a different screwdriver to push against the cam at a 90 degree angle to it to keep the cam from moving and losing the levers. This worked great too.

4. I found that removing the radio during this repair is not critical but because it's not a hard item to remove, it does give you another "window" for some extra light if you find that you need it as someone mentioned earlier. In retrospect, I did not need it. If you do remove it, you do not lose your preselects, at least within the less than a day time frame I took.

As an aside, I took the broken actuator apart (four screws) to see what the culprit is and found that there are four plastic gears. The one that drives the gear that moves the cam had lost one tooth. Can't be more than a twenty five cent part. For those of us that have experienced it, this is reminiscient of GM's cheap plastic retainers in the window regulators that crack and fail causing so much trouble in our cars. Sure wish these folks would spend a few pennies more for higher quality parts on high load, high stress applications like these!

Again, thanks to everyone for giving me the background to tackle this job and to save myself a bunch of money in the process. It is much appreciated.

Cadmandj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 cadillac Sedan Deville

This thread has been extremely helpful in getting the actuator off. However, my problem goes beyond the clicking. my fan simply won't com on at all, most of time, then suddenly it comes on. I took my actuators apart and the gears looked fine. Is there an electrical problem with these? If so , which one. Should I replace them both? Should I look at the cam while I have these components Off? Again, help so far has been awesome.

Thanks!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadmandj View Post
    This thread has been extremely helpful in getting the actuator off. However, my problem goes beyond the clicking. my fan simply won't com on at all, most of time, then suddenly it comes on. I took my actuators apart and the gears looked fine. Is there an electrical problem with these? If so , which one. Should I replace them both? Should I look at the cam while I have these components Off? Again, help so far has been awesome.

Thanks!
    Your problem is the blower, not a door actuator.

cooper3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville

When I did the same job on 03 deville I had the same problem with the white wheel no floor air and little travel. I had removed the radio to see if it would help in the job. The lever for the floor air is directly behind the radio. I was able to reach back with my left hand and turn the W wheel and with my right hand manipulate floor air diverter back into its groove. How it got out I dont know. I can turn the w wheel thru all of it travels. Hope this helps.

2002 sedan deville.
    OK. I can do the Blower. But the blower comeson for the rear air. (same one or separate).
    Replaced CB module with one from O'rielly's. It had no part number so I can't say it was like and kind.
    Now nothing happens. No clicking, no fan. except for rear air fan.
    Compressor comes on.
    I did take the cam off on made sure it was actuating properly. It may have been bound up because it wouldn't move with the actuators off.
    It was working fine after I took it apart and put it together.
    Here's where I am now. replaced CB actuator (a little worried it may be wrong one).
    No more clicking. Fan doesn't come on.
    I am considering replacing the fan. what could that hurt? Only money right?
    Will the codes tell me what wrong? Haven't found the right link to run through them.
    Looking for some advice on starting over or what to check next. Is there a way to check the fan.
    My concern it the system is not telling it to come on. If this is an impossibility, replacement is a obvious step.
    Again, blog has been awesome. Thanks.

If it's the blower, why the clicking? Blower was sometimes working while fan was blowing. No more though.
    Got nothing now. I guess blower this weekend.

2002 Devile DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS

This is good stuff guys, thanks..
    My problem is similar, but different.
    My passenger side front AC gets very cold, but my driver side is only a little cold, I assume there are separate blend doors for driver and passenger sides. Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, is this blend door located in the same area?

Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.