Mode Door Actuator Fix - How-To - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Mode Door Actuator Fix - How-To in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Another Mode Door Actuator fixed with the help of this thread! Started getting the "clicks" about 2 weeks ago and ...
    Don S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville DTS

Re: Mode Door Actuator Fix - How-To

Another Mode Door Actuator fixed with the help of this thread! Started getting the "clicks" about 2 weeks ago and then it started clicking every time I started the car with the temperature control system on. Replaced this part and now have no more clicking! Thanks for the detailed instructions

craneblake is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

Just replaced mine yesterday. Wanted to say a huge thank you for this write up. I could not have done it without it!

bigjoeb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Hello,

I am new here and have sort of a similar issue. All my vents work and can switch them back and forth. My issue is the heat takes a long time to blow through. I play with temp control a bit before it finally shows itself.lol.. Any ideas? 2001 deville

Jungle George is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Does air blow when you have it set to the highest temperature setting specially from the bottom vents??? if you have cold air and then it finally warms up you may have a partially clogged heater radiator. If you haven't flushed your system in a long time means that when you flush it you find things leaking, so if I was you I would live with it. Been there done that... Once I flushed the engine to replace the coolant I had to replace the radiator, the water pump cover seal ring, the reservoir, and now I have another seal behind the pump leaking. So I ordered the whole enchilada (pump, gaskets, o-rings, thermostat) I will remove the whole water distribution plenum out and replace everything.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

This section is for tips and repair procedures. Questions go in the appropriate model section.

joelbruck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS and 2004 SRX V8 AWD

Great how-to. Thanks! I have a 2001 DTS and was able to replace just the actuator without removing any other actuators or cutting the duct work. With the guidance of these great pictures, I was able to do the work blindly with my left hand reached over the duct from behind (I am left-handed, so perhaps this made it easier). Anyhow, after 45 minutes all-told, she's as good as new. Thanks again!

joeschmoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 deville dts

actually the new part does fit, perfect. I wanna thank all the posters on this subject, I was able to repair my 02 dts in 1.5 hrs. and didnt have to cut the duct, although i did get scraped up alot more than necessary had I cut it. the old style on the left was just like mine, however, if you remove the aluminum shank that is left on the big white plastic wheel, it fits the new style one . Thanks again to everyone.

apachedawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville

I've got an 04 Seville. I followed these instructions, ordered the mode door actuator from Amazon. Got the part pictured and today I went out took the car apart and after getting the old actuator out I found that although they look the same the plugs were keyed differently and the old one had 5 or 6 pins in it not 2 like the replacement. So I pulled out the other 2 actuators and none of them have the same plug as the new one. So what is going on. Is there a different part I need to order? Thank in advance for the help.

joepach is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 cadillac deville base model

great article and great additional comments. i think i can do this now. tks, joe p

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Jamjohnson2, Problem is, You're posting in a "How-to" forum, not a "How do I ...? " forum. If the info in here is insufficient to guide you, you need to ask the question up in the Deville forum.

I'll leave this reply here and move your two posts to their own thread up in Deville - "HVAC Mode Door actuator replacement". You'll probably need to pull any diagnostic codes from the car's built-in scanner to find out which door actuator is giving the problem - and I don't believe there's any vacuum involved in your 2000 Deville door control system.

Jamjohnson2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 DeVille (Burgundy w/white top)

I understand your point of view, but as far as the black ducting, I feel that's relevant to the article. Anyhow, thanks.

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

i have the Clicking on my 01 dts if i change the mode before it starts clicking (usually about 10 sec after startup) i can change it to the vents and such but after its done clicking it stuck at the vent, also my driver side is a touch warmer than the passenger side would that be the same motor or am i going to have to replace 2?

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Evrett, Sales Executive of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

brzys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

I searched and read all of the forums on this subject as I could find.
    I printed this thread out and took it on this past saturday.
    Yup, pain in the backside. Yup, lower vent was in the way.
    Yup, hands all scratched up, and neck still sore. Yup, nylon
    rings were all cracked in the old gears. Yup, got it done and now
    have heat to my defrosters and everywhere else.

Yup, saved a ton of money doin it myself - 53.00 total cost.

bbi2963 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DHS

Hardheaded me, I removed too many screws and ended up with the door actuator wheel and a couple of the actuator levers on the floorboard. No problem, I'll just put them back in place and pop the wheel back in position. Wrong! I spent two days fiddling with it, unable to find the
    "secret combination" which allows everything to sync properly. So after FINALLY figuring it out, I'd like to offer insight to others who might find themselves in the same predicament. To allow the lower floor control lever to move into the correct position to align with the groove in the actuator
    wheel, you must first pull down on the vent control lever (the upper one nearest the vent outlets). But to allow the vent control door to move into
    the position necessary to allow the floor control lever to move freely, you must first pull down on the defrost control lever (the one nearest the
    firewall). That being said, these steps must be followed, in this order: 1) pull down on the defrost control lever 2) pull down on the vent control
    lever 3) push up on the floor control lever.
    Now align the floor control lever tab in its wheel groove and carefully slide the wheel's center "shaft" in position onto the pivot stud. Next, align the vent control lever tab in its groove and lastly, align the defrost control lever tab in the same groove that the vent control lever rides in. Holding the wheel in place (I used a long Phillips screwdriver to put pressure on the wheel's center stud), rotate it to verify proper movement of all three doors.
    To be sure the wheel didn't fall off, I kept pressure on it with the Phillips while installing the cover and also while installing the actuator motor.
    5280 likes this.

2002CarriageTopDevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco

Wait, what? Are you (or anyone else) saying that simply removing the electrical connector once the air is blowing from the dash would allow for cold a/c thru the dash vents w/o any clicking at startup?
    The only controllable feature would be fan speed then?
    IF so, I could live with that for now.
    Problem is 2 days ago, I lost the dash vents.. So I may need to see if I can hand turn the wheel to get the dash vents mode back.
    Please, anyone who has info feel free to chime in.
    i did exactly this with my broken MDA, all i care about is cold a/c in my face... took me 30 minutes and cost zero. thanks CF.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.