Mode Door Actuator Fix - How-To - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Mode Door Actuator Fix - How-To in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Many, many thanks to jrdubhead and everyone who helped him write this dead-on procedure for replacing the door actuator. I ...
    mberlant is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Mode Door Actuator Fix - How-To

Many, many thanks to jrdubhead and everyone who helped him write this dead-on procedure for replacing the door actuator.

I moved my '01 DTS to Japan four years ago and experienced the dreaded clicking in May of this year. I was pleasantly shocked to find a few lively discussions here when I googled the error code. A quick peek up under the dash confirmed the source of the clicking and gave me confidence that I had identified the right part. I coaxed the actuator to move just one more time to the AC-blow-in-my-face position and pulled the plug from the CB module until I could fix the problem (or until winter, whichever came first).

I got the part from the US two weeks ago, and finally got a chance to tackle the project today.

For me, the most difficult part of the job was cutting the driver's side flared duct. It took about ten minutes, which seemed like an eternity with my feet draped over the driver's headrest. The old CB came off with some moderate persuasion after removing the W module to give me leveraging space, and the new CB went on without a fight when I manually rotated the white flywheel to match its double-d fitting.

I can't imagine how many hundreds of dollars I saved over giving the car to a local mechanic - or worse - to the local dealership.

Thank you all again for saving my bacon.
    Marco and Marco like this.

overpaid4myfc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Great tutorial. I'm currently replacing the mode door actuator assembly on a 2000 deville, I've been wrestling with aligning the arms on the back of the cam for a while now, is there any special trick to aligning the arms? The cam starts to move and then jams and I'm afraid of stripping the new gear inside the actuator.

j'ladd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 Deville DHS

Quote Originally Posted by jrdubhead View Post
    With the priceless help of Ranger and ewill3rd, I was able to easily and confidently repair my Mode Door Actuator. My problem of not getting any air out through the vents (hot or cold) is finally over. Here is how I did it.

This is the part you'll need. I got mine from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product AC Delco p/n 15-72654. You can also get it from Rippypartsmaster (Chris Heath) or Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac up in the Vendors threads

First off, you're gonna need the proper tools. Otherwise this job won't be nearly as fun. {for the remainder see: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/211863-mode-door-actuator-fix-how.html}

Wow, I am impressed, that is one thorough tutorial. Thank you.

apribby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DHS, 2004 CTS 3.6L

Just did this job this afternoon. If you're not comfortable cutting the duct to the floor, it is not totally necessary. I managed to get around it with a few cuts and scrapes. Hardest part for me was getting the old actuator off the white shaft of the wheel, it was really on there. Thanks for the write-up, awesome job.
    Don S and Don S like this.

DSorgi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same vehicle. I see the large black plastic "something" that blocks my view, but didn't know it was a duct and I cancut a big access hole.
    Question. II see you can buy an actuator motor and the cam assembly. Two diiferent assemblies. How does one know which is bad.
    My air flow is thru the dash vent only. the heater control icon show all modes, but the flow never changes. How do I know which one is bad?

TAMPAGT07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Deville (x2)

Quick question: How long did it take you guys for this job? (I'll be doing mine this weekend.)

TAMPAGT07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Deville (x2)

Good write-up...I just did mine and it only took about an hour...I didn't cut the duct either, I just worked around it...I put my car up on the midrise lift (waist high, to make it a little easier.)

Taisho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

I know this was posted a while back, but this is Blender, accuator issue gets a lot of play and here on this forum you all went above and beyond the cadillac call to publish one of the most helpful threads. So I wrote to nominate this thread for Caddy Classic. this is why forums are here on the net. Thanks to everyone.

Dr. Tom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 sedan deville

following excellent instructions (with drawings) by jrdubhead, I removed mode actuator only to find the cam rotates about 10-15 degrees (freely) then hits hard stop. Clearly, the cam should rotate about 180 degrees. I must have a door jammed. I took the old mode actuator apart, all teeth on all gears look OK, no stripped teeth. I rotated the cam to clockwise stop, have air out dash vents, so have happy wife.

By the way, for those who need to replace mode actuator - I cut the driver's lower duct behind the temp. sensor, found no need to remove the actuator jrdubhead removed for convenience.

Anyone have input to possible door jamming, and how to proceed? Thanks, Tom

marinemerchant is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Deville

Just finished this job after a couple hours of research spread over months of putting it off. I've had this tutorial bookmarked for a while now but got the bug to get the job done today for some reason. Just wanted to say thanks to the OP.

My notes:
    Patience like no tomorrow and if at all possible a helper if for nothing else to keep you calm. I normally do not get into a fit of rage or blow my top but this job can try your patience due to being upside down to do it and barely enough room to fit both arms / hands to do the job. The black duct in the way is annoying as all hell but I didn't want to cut it out and didn't, but could see how this would make the job easier. I ended up pulling the radio out mainly because I'm thinking about getting one of those fancy double DIN Pioneers and was curious how hard/easy it was to pull the radio for that future job. Easy and pie. I did end up losing a screw, but I had 3 extra from the replacement part when I took the actuator off it. The total job took me under 2 hours, but that was about 3-4 times of running back and forth in the house for the right socket size. The 5.5mm was needed, but I also the 7mm to remove a black firewall panel after removing the knee bolster beneath the steering column.

Marco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by mberlant View Post
    Many, many thanks to jrdubhead and everyone who helped him write this dead-on procedure for replacing the door actuator.

I moved my '01 DTS to Japan four years ago and experienced the dreaded clicking in May of this year. I was pleasantly shocked to find a few lively discussions here when I googled the error code. A quick peek up under the dash confirmed the source of the clicking and gave me confidence that I had identified the right part. I coaxed the actuator to move just one more time to the AC-blow-in-my-face position and pulled the plug from the CB module until I could fix the problem (or until winter, whichever came first).
    Wait, what? Are you (or anyone else) saying that simply removing the electrical connector once the air is blowing from the dash would allow for cold a/c thru the dash vents w/o any clicking at startup?
    The only controllable feature would be fan speed then?
    IF so, I could live with that for now.
    Problem is 2 days ago, I lost the dash vents.. So I may need to see if I can hand turn the wheel to get the dash vents mode back.
    Please, anyone who has info feel free to chime in.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Are you (or anyone else) saying that simply removing the electrical connector once the air is blowing from the dash would allow for cold a/c thru the dash vents w/o any clicking at startup?
    Yes.

Marco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Yes.
    Thanks Ranger, it worked! Last night I tried to replace the actuator in our 2000 deville, but the shaft is different like stated in several threads.
    I opened up the old actuator and found 2-3 teeth missing from the large plastic gear. Opened up the new actuator to see if I could swap gears but it's large gear is part of the newly designed shaft.
    Bummer.
    Glad I had read this thread and seen mberlant's post. I have no mode function but am happy to have cold air from the dash vents and no infernal clicking.
    I removed the flared portion of the ductwork with a fine hacksaw blade. It was a little tricky having to becareful not to cut into the wiring directly beside the duct.
    I did not remove the other actuator to gain access, no need.

If I should ever want to replace the entire assembly then I could see the need to remove the other actuator.

I am more than a little peaved at GM's lack of original parts support. I've had 25 yr old Mercedes and parts were still available when I sold it.

My last repair work on this Caddy was replacing the rear shocks, went OEM and got gabriel hi-jackers as gm 's replacement shocks. They seized up and I eventually went with Monroe and have had no problems.

coastdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My problem is the same as Brian's. My passenger side gets cool but driver's side just blows warm air. Has anyone else had this problem and how was it solved?

Oldcaster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville SLS

Coast, this thread may help you, its the actuator and is fixable, but your going to need to do some troubleshooting.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3023455

That should get you pointed in the right direction. all the best - Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.