My passive shock install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, My passive shock install in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I know there have been numerous threads about shock replacement going from active to passive. Here is mine. My original ...
    Domino1968 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

My passive shock install

I know there have been numerous threads about shock replacement going from active to passive. Here is mine. My original shock's air bladders have holes in them and therefore will not keep pressure. Adding ANY load to the car makes the rear sag. I obtained some soft ride shocks for cheap and I am planning a trip soon so I need the load capacity.

First I raised the rear of the vehicle, taking all safety precautions of course. Then remove the wheels. I did each each side one at a time but I did have the complete rear on jackstands.

After removing the wheel, you will be able to see the whole shock assembly and see the air lines that are connected to the shock. To disconnect the air lines, there is a clip on them that you can rotate and twist off the air hose connector. You dont need to completely remove the clip. Once off, make sure the clip is situated back into the grooves of the connector. Here is a good time to clean out the connector with a q-tip before connecting it back to a shock.

Removing the shock is pretty straightforward. There are two nuts to remove from the upper tower in the trunk (sorry no pics, but just remove the side covers in the trunk to access them) and two bolts to remove at the bottom and the shock is free. You will have to disconnect the electrical connector
    Connector1.jpg
    , just follow the wire to the connector itself. While I was there, I put in my 4.7K ohm resistor to fool the computer that the active shocks were still there.
    connector2.jpg
    Sorry the pic didn't come out too well, but all I did was insert each lead into the connector in each receptacle. I covered them in plastic zip lock bags and electrical tape and secured them out of the way. Here is a shot of the resistors I used:
    resistor.jpg
    Ninety-nine cents and you will have spares! LOL

Installing is just the same as removal just backwards. Here is a shot of the old vs. the new.
    Shocks.jpg
    Here is a close up of the part number,
    Shock2.jpg
    and yes it is an ACDelco part! Here are a couple of shots with the shocks installed:
    Installed shock 2.jpgInstalled shock.jpg After installing and before setting vehicle down on its own weight, I turned the key/started the car to let the ELC circuit run its test and to let the compressor put residual pressure in the shocks.

Afterthoughts: Shocks were cheap alternative to the active ones. Install was pretty easy and straightforward. Resistors worked like a charm with no error messages on the DIC. Car is back at original ride height no matter who or what is in the backseat and/or trunk.

How do they ride you ask? Ok. That's it. Does it ride like my car used to?? Hellllll no! I cannot wait to put some new actives on! My wife only commented that it "felt bouncier". Trust me, if SHE noticed, there is a difference!

As for right now, these are a great temporary solution for me and may be a permanent solution for others.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Re: My passive shock install

Great write-up! Did you replace the shock mounts and in what shape were they? I'm going to have to do this very soon.

Domino1968 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

Update: When using ACDelco replacement shocks, be advised that the replacement shocks need slightly more pressure than originals. It would seem that the ACDelco replacements are made by Gabriel (aka Highjackers). The fix for this (increased pressure) would be to replace the pressure spring in the drier assembly, otherwise the shocks would not fully pressurize and you would hear the top can of the shock "knock" on bumps.--credit goes to mtflight on doing the research on ACDelcos. Details can be found in this post:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2379062

I have since installed the Monroe MA822s. Very simple replacement which does not require the drier spring replacement. The ride is great after doing so with no issues.

CadillacChick is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Deville

I know this is an old thread but Im hoping someone will respond. When I had my suspension replaced on my 02 DTS, the moron who did it, completely broke those clips off that the resistor is plugged into. Is there anyway to still make this work?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You mean the female connector in the 1st & 2nd picture? If so, yes, the resistor could still be soldered right to the wire.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.