2000+ Deville Blower Fan Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By DesignerPro
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, 2000+ Deville Blower Fan Replacement in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; 2001 DTS @ 80K A/C fan started working intermittently and at low speeds had a slight growl. I got a ...
    Bberger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS

2000+ Deville Blower Fan Replacement

2001 DTS @ 80K

A/C fan started working intermittently and at low speeds had a slight growl.

I got a new part from Rock Auto for around $50 shipped. Install took less than 2 hours but there is a bit of mucking around.

For those wondering about taking on this job it is very doable, just be prepared to be patient as 2 of the mounting screws go back in slowly and are in an inconvenient location. When you get frustrated just remember how much money you are saving!

In short...

1. Remove glove box, 8 torx head screws.

2. Remove trim panel, pulls out towards you.

3. Remove hush panel, 2 heax head screws.

4. Remove floor mat and passenger side plastic sill plate. pull carpet back towards center of car at an angle as much as you can. This will give you a bit more room. I did NOT have to cut the rubber mat below to get the fan out or back in. I have seen posts stating you had to.

5. Take out the 2 hex head screws holding the DIC (this is the electrical connection box to the right of the fan assembly) bracket in place. This will allow you to move it up and out of the way, otherwise you are never getting the fan back in.

6. Disconnect the electrical connector to the fan and the wires clipped to the fan.

7. Remove 6 hex screws from bottom of fan assembly. 3 are super easy, 1 is easy, the 2 nearest the firewall take some patience as you can only get a very small wrench on them and turn them about 10-15* at a time.

8. Remove the fan. Pull nearest side down at an angle. The squirrel cage fan section WILL interfere with the housing but it DOES come out. Once you get the near side free the rest comes easily. Remember to watch getting snagged on wires or the loose DIC. (I just had to say it!)

Replacement is the opposite if removal. Look at the foam rubber seal pressed in the housing still in the car. If it has come loose push it back in its groove. On the tight corner section I applied just a bit of sticky to keep it there. I had some 3M body side molding adhesive but anything with a bit of stick will work, it does not take much.

Hold your DIC out of the way and introduce the back side of the fan assembly at a bit of an angle, side facing you lower than the other. It will go almost all the way there... then you just have to finagle the fan back in the housing, you will force it but not enough to bust it. Do this without knocking the foam seal out of place and once you get the squirrel cage fan portion back in the housing you are home free. Raise it evenly back in the housing making sure if fits smoothly, there should be no forcing any longer and make sure no wires got tangled. Replace the easy screws first to keep it in place and then struggle with the final two.

The rest is down hill and don't forget to re-attach your... ok, ok, enough jokes!

Good luck and have fun spending the $350+ you just saved!

Peace.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DesignerPro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Deville DTS 2003

Re: 2000+ Deville Blower Fan Replacement

As I mentioned before, the 2002 and prior fans are different from the 2003 and up. I did not have to remove the carpet or the electrical connection (DIC) and there are only 3 screws holding the motor in. It comes out much more easily than Bberger had to go through. There is also a motor cooling tube attached opposite the electrical connector. When I get my replacement part, which I already ordered, I will write it up with pictures and post it in the Tech Tips as Ranger suggested. You'll still be able to spend the $350+ Bberger mentioned, but not have to work so hard to save it.

'03 Deville DTS blower motor replacement = Piece of Cake!

After reading other posts and the GM Service Manual about the replacement of the blower motor on '00 to '05 Devilles, I thought it would be a tough job. I took out the old motor following instructions which involved removing the glove box, some tough electrical connection removal and even pulling up the carpeting. I took out the old one to make sure I was ordering the right one and put it back in. I wasted a lot of time. See below.

Here are my tips on how to save time and effort on the specific replacement on the '03 Deville DTS.

1. There are three different fan models on the '02 Deville. The '03 uses one particular model (my research reveals). I purchased mine from rockauto.com. It is the TYC Part # 700110 {#89018521} and costs only $37. (it works great, by the way.) SO beware when some suppliers may say "Fits '00 to '05 Deville" because it may not fit yours.

2. To gain easier access to the motor, lower the passenger seat all the way down. I parked the car with the sun shining in the front passenger door and it was easy to see all.

3. You do NOT need to remove the glove box, remove the electrical junctions or the carpeting. I didn't even take out the floor mat.

4. Remove the two screws holding up the shield under the glove box. Pull toward you and it comes out easily. At this point the motor is almost in full view.

5. Gently pull the wiring and plug under the motor down off of the supports. It is held up with spring clips and is easily replaced.

6. Remove the plug to the motor. It is facilitated by using a small flat blade screwdriver stuck toward the motor into the top of the plug socket. (You'll understand when you see it.) Remove the rubber tube opposite the plug by pulling it off the motor and down off the tube behind the motor.

7. Remove three screws (mine were bronze colored) from the motor and pull the motor down and out, watching not to catch the wires you lowered earlier.

8. Put in the new motor and reverse the above steps.

It should not take more than 1/2 hour. I can't believe the dealers can charge up to $350 for this. Remove and replace five screws and you're done.

Refer to the photos below. The old motor is the silver one. The rubber tube is the cooling tube.
    Attached Images

"When I get my replacement part, which I already ordered, I will write it up with pictures and post it in the Tech Tips as Ranger suggested."

Go here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...placement.html

purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville

Re: '03 Deville DTS blower motor replacement = Piece of Cake!

I know the threads old but I purchased the same blower as you did and noticed the cooling tube was there but blocked at the motor, old one went past the housing you could see inside. Was yours this way, any idea why the change does the new one not need extra cooling?
    Quote Originally Posted by DesignerPro View Post
    After reading other posts and the GM Service Manual about the replacement of the blower motor on '00 to '05 Devilles, I thought it would be a tough job. I took out the old motor following instructions which involved removing the glove box, some tough electrical connection removal and even pulling up the carpeting. I took out the old one to make sure I was ordering the right one and put it back in. I wasted a lot of time. See below.

Here are my tips on how to save time and effort on the specific replacement on the '03 Deville DTS.

1. There are three different fan models on the '02 Deville. The '03 uses one particular model (my research reveals). I purchased mine from rockauto.com. It is the TYC Part # 700110 {#89018521} and costs only $37. (it works great, by the way.) SO beware when some suppliers may say "Fits '00 to '05 Deville" because it may not fit yours.

2. To gain easier access to the motor, lower the passenger seat all the way down. I parked the car with the sun shining in the front passenger door and it was easy to see all.

3. You do NOT need to remove the glove box, remove the electrical junctions or the carpeting. I didn't even take out the floor mat.

4. Remove the two screws holding up the shield under the glove box. Pull toward you and it comes out easily. At this point the motor is almost in full view.

5. Gently pull the wiring and plug under the motor down off of the supports. It is held up with spring clips and is easily replaced.

6. Remove the plug to the motor. It is facilitated by using a small flat blade screwdriver stuck toward the motor into the top of the plug socket. (You'll understand when you see it.) Remove the rubber tube opposite the plug by pulling it off the motor and down off the tube behind the motor.

7. Remove three screws (mine were bronze colored) from the motor and pull the motor down and out, watching not to catch the wires you lowered earlier.

8. Put in the new motor and reverse the above steps.

It should not take more than 1/2 hour. I can't believe the dealers can charge up to $350 for this. Remove and replace five screws and you're done.

Refer to the photos below. The old motor is the silver one. The rubber tube is the cooling tube.

rmink53787 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 deville

Re: '03 Deville DTS blower motor replacement = Piece of Cake!

Thanks so much guys for this information, this site is the greatest!! My A/C fan stopped working - no noises at all, just stopped. I am wondering if it could be a switch somewhere, I doubt a fuse, as I do hear a clicking noise when I turn on the A/C. It worked fine on the way to the store, but when I came out..nada! and it is gonna be 90d this week. If it's the motor, this post just saved me!!
    Thanks
    Any ideas it could be a blown switch somewhere under the dash??

pauldimler93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadilac Deville

OMG what a headache!!! I guess I got the design flaw 2002 deville and boy was it a pain in the A$$ to remove the AC Fan. But luckily I spent $15 to fix it, It had so much gunked up grease in it, I took it apart, sprayed it out with electronic cleaner and used lithium grease on the parts that touch each other and starts right up.

rmink53787 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 deville

The really funny thing about this is that I read somewhere that a person had learned to slam their passenger car door and their blower would come on, so I tried this on my way to the mech. and it worked! lolol, I have had to slam my car door twice so far, while looking at whether it's a connector switch or the actual motor. I have been told by 2 different mechs. it's the resistor and the other one said it's the motor. I am trying the resistor first as that is cheapest (and easier). The good news is, the A/C has been working as long as I have needed it too. Thanks for the info on the 2003 motor as I went to see a used 2003 and the motor looked different.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

It's usually a bad connection in the motor, though I couldn't tell you which one, but I think it will be fairly obvious once you open it up (or so I've heard).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.