Malfunction Indicator Light with P0741 and P1860 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Malfunction Indicator Light with P0741 and P1860 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; My fathers car 2000 Deville, has the P1860 code and the P0741 code. It has been like that for 3 ...
    gadgetman1966 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Re: Malfunction Indicator Light with P0741 and P1860

My fathers car 2000 Deville, has the P1860 code and the P0741 code. It has been like that for 3 years. Of course Caddy and and place he took it said new tranny.
    It does surge and chuggle but very very seldom.
    I checked the resistance for the TCC solenoid and it is 0.
    I want to test the TCC engagement but have no RPM gauge (digital dash) is there another way to test the TCC.
    I definately need to check this especially when it surges and chuggles.

How do I perform the TCC test if I have no rpm gauge?

Could you be more specific as to what needs to be removed to get at the side cover. 2000 Deville Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman1966 View Post
    My fathers car 2000 Deville, has the P1860 code and the P0741 code. It has been like that for 3 years. Of course Caddy and and place he took it said new tranny.
    It does surge and chuggle but very very seldom.
    I checked the resistance for the TCC solenoid and it is 0.
    I want to test the TCC engagement but have no RPM gauge (digital dash) is there another way to test the TCC.
    I definately need to check this especially when it surges and chuggles.

How do I perform the TCC test if I have no rpm gauge?
    Da found it, press the info button and tach is displayed.

TCC is not engaging.
    RPM does nothing on the Test.

tiny580 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Seville SLS

Great Forum!

I thought i would reply and let you know that this worked for me with one exception. I could not get the clip back in and i dropped the motor/trans cradle down to gain access. There are accually only 6 more bolts and you need 2 floor jacks 2 jack stands and a helper to put the steering column back together. Be careful not to turn the steering wheel while the motor is down or you will ruin the clock spring. Be careful of the Rear O2 sensor wire, rear brake lines, and the main brake lines to the ABS pump.

My TCC PMW was burnt on the end. defently junk. Got my new one at my local tranny shop. They had it in stock. (fits many GM trans and is a common issue)

2000SevilleSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS 9 engine, 2004 Seville STS Y engine

Dear 2001_Seville_SLS,

You have provided a solution to one heck of a problem I inherited recently. I am in New Jersey and my 2000 Seville STS with 108,000 miles just failed inspection (light came on as my wife was in the inspection line, who would have believed it!). Code DTC P1860 (no others) caused the failure, all else ok. I was able to get my hands on a GENTEC analyzer and saw the writing on the wall as the freeze frame information listed the circumstances of the failure. One line made me read and weep, "TCC Duty Cycle Short To Volts -YES." I can be in denial and keep checking the wiring but the sad fact is that the electrical spirit of my PWM Solenoid has gone to the automotive heavens. I have read your posts in detail and believe I have nothing to lose by trying your procedure. I am on the road for a few weeks so I will not be able to get back about my results until next month. Either way, you will have a post by the end of April (end of inspection sticker). Thanks for taking the time to provide so much feed back with such details. I was studying the coolant overflow/recovery tank and thought that it would definitely have to be removed. Worst case scenario, the engine will have to be dropped anyway, I have nothing to lose.

I am a little irritated by so many dealer customers not being to get definitive diagnostics. General Motors has detailed diagnostic routines which should nail this problem within one hour of testing. I only needed five minutes with the GENTEC scanner. The DTE Freeze frames had all of the information glaring in front of me. When the GENTEC scanner showed me a "Short to volts- YES", the PCM is working and providing voltage in order to get a short. The next line states "TCC Duty Cycle Open/Short to GND - NO" and this shows that their are no ground faults and the circuit is not open. Any experienced tech can go through the motions of double checking a harness at this point, but the same harness has just gone through 108,000 miles and ten years of wear and tear without shorting out or opening up, the writing is on the wall, bite the bullet and go after the PWM Solenoid. That is what I intend to do.

SliceOfLife is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS, all black--253,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by 2001_Seville_SLS View Post
    Slice of Life,
    I used the original side cover gasket and torqued the bolts to specs in three phases. There were no leaks. It is possible to change the gasket if required, but I would just take care not to damage the old one if I did it again.

Mitchjagger,
    I removed the fluid reservoir, but don't remember messing with any transmission fluid lines.

Marco,
    I didn't drop the engine. There has been at least one other guy who has performed the procedure. If my memory is right, I think it was on a Deville.
    I've been reading up on this issue and intend to try your technique as soon as it warms up outside. According to my, admittedly poor, notes, I got the 1860 on 22DEC09. Since I did not cite the 741 on that date, I'm pretty certain it didn't show up until a short time after the 1860. Since I haven't had any transmission performance issues, I'm confident that the 741 is most likely a side-effect of the 1860.

I have a couple of questions, though. Is the TCC solenoid the only thing that comes out? At what point in the extraction process do you disconnect the electrical connector? Did you service the O-rings at all, or does the new part come with new ones? If you can only get a finger from each hand in there, how did you pull hard enough to overcome the O-rings? I am imagining that the solenoid is pulled out toward the rear of the car, but that the rearward side of the transmission housing is in the way, so that it must be pulled out rearward and then taken away toward the driver's side fender in order to clear the housing. But there's only a finger's width of space between the housing and the side cover in which to finish removing the solenoid. It would seem there would be considerable risk of dropping the solenoid inside the housing. But since you didn't mention any such issues, I figure I must be imagining this incorrectly. Could you clarify my conception of this part of the process?

dgb100946 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldo, 2000 deVille, 2004 deVille 2008 Escallade 1991 dV

This procedure is golden. Do it carefully and exactly as described, and it works like a charm. We did it on a 2000 deville. Our only issue was a leak in the gasket upon reassembly between bottom front two bolts, and we replaced the gasket. Still a small drip. Any suggestions?

starfox86 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 deville, 2000 sls, 2006 cts-v

Going to try this way over the weekend at my shop. Usually we pull the motor down to do this solenoid. I will let you know how it turns out.

Bob Laross is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 seville sls

Man, am I glad that this thread is still avail. Im performing this right now on my 2000 sls, taking a break from the "hairpin" lol. Going to get wire to try the "wire trick"

Domino1968 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

LOL...I feel, I mean, I "felt" your pain! For me, that seemed like the hardest part of the whole repair was putting that damn pin back in. Good luck and keep at it!

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

I just did this job today on my 01 Deville. You guys are not kidding about that clip. The other cross was the one motor mount bracket bolt. If they only made it 1/4" shorter. I shortened it before I reassembled, made it much easier. Other than a slight coolant leak from the back "quick connect" connector, it's running fine now. hats off to the original poster that described this method.

rwilly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Seville STS

I hope iI am Replying right.I have 01 Seville STS.I got the same codes as you described P0741 and P1860.I have test drove this car several times and evey time
    the tach moves just like you described.Even in city driving at 40 mph i can feel like a small lockup with the tach lowering.It is not a harsh shift if thats want you to call it
    You can barely feel it.I am still getting great gas mileage around 18.5 to 19.5 in the city.It downshifts properly and shifts smoothly.you can barely feel it.The car has 114,000 mles on it but you cant tell it by the way it runs.Quick as hell with no slippage or anything.My question to you is it possible that the brake switch could possibly cause this ERROR code.i Plan on doing it soon replacing the TCC soloneid.But every where I read it brings up the brake switch.Was just wondering if the switch could have anything to do with it since it does seem to tie into the electrical system with this.I know it sounds stupid but would it be good advise to replace it also or just a waste of money and time.By the way Thanks a Million for all the advise on this problem. Just a small note Seems like Cadillac should have did a recall on this soloneid since there seems to be quite a few people getting stuck with it and the cost.

jdpilot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

TCC-01.JPGTCC-03.JPG

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for the post. I just completed the job and it went just as described... Yes the clip was a bear but doable. Didn't even bother to do the dianostics... went right for the solenoid. It was burnt at the electrical connector... got the solenoid from NAPA for $50.00. Here is a couple of pictures of the bad solenoid. Had to remove the CV Axle and the motor/trans mount to get to remove the mount bracket stud. Also used a pair of Hemostat sisors to get the clip in place. Again this thread was very helpful...... Many Thanks

glover is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Just curious to see if anyone has had this problem re-occur after replacing just the solenoid. The solenoid burns up due to an internal leak in the tcc apply circuit snd causes excessive slippage. As some of you may have noticed the goldish looking material in the bottom of the side pan; thats actually the tcc material coming off the plate

SliceOfLife is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS, all black--253,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by jdpilot View Post
    Attachment 86210Attachment 86211

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for the post. I just completed the job and it went just as described... Yes the clip was a bear but doable. Didn't even bother to do the dianostics... went right for the solenoid. It was burnt at the electrical connector... got the solenoid from NAPA for $50.00. Here is a couple of pictures of the bad solenoid. Had to remove the CV Axle and the motor/trans mount to get to remove the mount bracket stud. Also used a pair of Hemostat sisors to get the clip in place. Again this thread was very helpful...... Many Thanks
    Tell me more! I'll be trying this in a couple of weeks. I'm going to assume for the time being the difference between your deville and my seville is the reason you had to remove the drive shaft. But, I have the replacement solenoid, and its kind of big. Was it a problem getting the old one out and the new one in? Did you reuse the old gasket, and, if so, did you clean it, with...something? I assume you've had no leaks there. Did you do anything special to prep it for reassembly? I have a pair of hemostats, too, that I thought might be perfect for the job, so it's good to hear you used them successfully. So, did you not utilize the wire loop setup pioneered by the OP?

Is there no locking mechanism on the electrical connector? From what I've seen it just plugs on/off. Did you use the hemostats to unplug and plug this electical connector, too? How did you determine how much trans fluid to add back? I'm very interested in anything more you could say about your experience.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.