Tips on replacing the blower motor in a 1990 Cadillac Deville.
May also be appropriate for FWD Devilles and FWD Fleetwoods 1985 to 1993

Ok. So my blower motor quit working one COLD Saturday afternoon, and I wasn’t sure why – it worked fine the day before!

I pulled the power wire and could see that the purple wire had gotten hot enough to melt the wire connector itself. Sigh. I figured then that the motor was drawing too much current and had overheated the wire. So before the wire caught on fire, I decided to replace the blower motor.

But first I followed the diagnosis tree in the Factory Service Manual and the diagnosis came back “replace blower motor.”

Remove the black plastic shroud that covers the wiring on the firewall.

Pull the power wire, try not to break off the clip that secure it. Use a 7mm socket/wrench/not driver and remove the 5 screws securing the motor in place.

Remove the 2 vacuum lines attached to the black plastic vacuum tank located next to the power brake booster. Note which vacuum line goes on the top port and which one goes on the bottom port.

Remove the air cleaner assembly.

You may want to disconnect and re-position the AIR hose that runs down the back of the engine to the catalytic converter to give you more working room.

I also had to remove and re-position the EGR solenoid from its bracket (8mm nut), and bend the MAP bracket slightly forward (after removing the one 7mm screw that I could reach).

When maneuvering the blower/fan unit out of the car, be very careful NOT to overstress the fan cage. It will bend/deform only a little bit! Too much and the cage will crack, causing even MORE problems!

I was able to pull the blower straight out toward the front of the car, and then bend/twist it around to the driver’s side with the fan cage pointing downward, and finally pull it out!

You almost need a third hand to push/hold all the wiring/vacuum hoses out of the way.

The fan cage is secured with one small nut –usually 10mm or maybe 8mm. Swap the fan cage over to the new unit, and make sure it spins freely. My old motor would rotate if I twisted it by hand, but the new motor spun easily.

Reverse the installation steps and you’re finished! So nice to have blown hot air again!

Good luck! Ed in Maryland, 2.13.10