Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Stuck/sticking brake/shifter interlock fix in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; '97 ETC - problems shifting out of Park sometimes - sometimes really, really bad! Checked it out and the solenoid ...
- 07-06-09 09:21 PM #1
Stuck/sticking brake/shifter interlock fix
'97 ETC - problems shifting out of Park sometimes - sometimes really, really bad! Checked it out and the solenoid seemed to be the problem. I didn't want to spend the time and money to replace the solenoid - I just disconnected it and problems solved.
To do it (on a '97 ETC) - easiest access if you can move the shifter to the Neutral or lower area, but possible in Park:
1. Remove the retaining clip on the front/ashtray side of the shift knob and pull up and remove the shift knob.
2. Gently pry and pull up the shifter bezel - the entire panel underneath the shifter - on my car it's wood. Disconnect the plugs from the bottom side of shifter bezel - there were three on my car - 2 were for the heated seats.
3. Look down below, in the front part of the shifter cavity - you will see a solenoid with the piston facing the back of the car - remove the plug from the solenoid.
4. Abracadbra - no more problems shifting out of Park. The shifter is still locked when in Park - this just means you don't have to step on the brake to shift from Park, which is just fine with me
+ Reply to Thread
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts
- PowerTorque Tools - Long Arm Hex Key MM
Long Arm Hex Key MM - 9 Pcs Metric Long Arm Hex Key Set With Storage Container
- PowerTorque Tools - Universal Joint Set
Universal Joint Set - 3 Piece; 1/4 Inch, 3/8 Inch, 1/2 Inch
- PowerTorque Tools - SAE & Metric Socket Set
SAE & Metric Socket Set - 19 Piece; 1/4" Drive