Motor Mount (Front) Replcaement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Ranger
Cadillac Tech Tips - How to fix it Discussion, Motor Mount (Front) Replcaement in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Courtesy of ejguillot I've done the motor mount twice on the 2000 Seville, and if the Deville has a similar ...
    Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Motor Mount (Front) Replcaement

Courtesy of ejguillot

I've done the motor mount twice on the 2000 Seville, and if the Deville has a similar engine cradle (I think it does), here's how it will go (don't have pics handy):

1) get the front end of the car in the air, I used a pair of jack stands with a 12" piece of 2x4 on the top (to spread the load) on the body behind the cradle. Use your judgment as to where to put these.

2) put a 4" piece of 2x4 on your hydraulic jack, then put in under the engine in the oil pan area (My Northstar had a steel crossbrace piece going between the engine and trans, which proved ideal. You should have this too.) You will need this to support the weight of the engine, and lift the engine off the cradle (you'll need to do this to get the mount out). Pump up the jack until it just makes contact with the brace.

3) the mount has 2 studs coming out of it - 1 to the cradle (you can take this nut off at this point, it's a deep socket), and 1 to a supporting brace that attaches to the engine at 4 points (the brace will have to be unbolted from the engine, and comes out with the mount). Remove the brace to engine bolts at this point, gravity will keep the powertrain in place.

4) there are 6 bolts that attach the cradle to the frame (2 up front, 4 in back). the rear 4 are loosened, the front 2 will be removed altogether. Now, pump up the jack to support the weight of the engine, and remove the front 2 bolts, then loosen (about 5 turns from the point of removal) the middle 2 bolts, and loosen the rear 2 halfway. The brace and mount should separate away from the engine and be resting on the cradle.

5) To get the mount and brace out, raise the engine further with the jack, and you may have to pull down on the cradle to get the necessary clearance. Once the mount is out, unbolt it from the brace and install the new one (tighten this down properly, once installed you can't get to this bolt!)

6) Installation is roughly the reverse of removal, with the following things to look out for:

a: get the new brace/mount roughly in place, and bolt it to the engine. Torque to spec.

b: tighten the 4 rear cradle bolts, it'll close the gap for the front 2 bolts. Then (you will really want a helper at this point, but i managed to do it alone) push up the front of the cradle (if alone, have a piece of 2x4 or another hydraulic jack handy) enough to get the 2 front bolts started in their holes. Once started, torque all 6 cradle bolts to spec.

c: lower the powertrain down onto the cradle, and install the mount to cradle nut, torquing to spec.

you're done! Get the car down on the ground, and give yourself a pat on the back (and a beer too!) for doing what i consider a fairly advanced repair for the do it yourself owner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Motor Mount (Front) Replcaement

Tateos
    2000 DTS is that same as above - that was exactly like I did it on my 2000 DTS
    PaleAle and PaleAle like this.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Same on STS
    did it twice on moms 98

ezed1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77sev(Trd)82Eld(died)92sls(Trd)99sls(Trd)03dts(Trd)07sts13sr

Thumbs up Re: Motor Mount (Front) Replcaement

Yeap did the same thing to minds too oil pressure switch and those annoying crank sensors all in one shotwith the cradle down made it a hole lot easier to do!!!!!!!

Ghostsoldier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC; 1974 Dodge Monaco 440 Police package

Necro-posting here, but will this method be the same for a 2000 Eldorado with the N*?

Rob

Pretty sure it will be the same.

Thanks, Ranger...guess I'll find out this coming weekend!
    Rob

I seem to recall a thread by mtflight with a video of how to change a front mount on an Eldo.

EDIT:
    But I can't find it.

Crap...that would be awesome to see; well, thanks for looking, Ranger!

Rob

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Love my lac, Your question - not tip - has been moved to the Deville forums.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.